7 String Tuning, Pickups and Gauges

TheThirteenthFloor

Axe Murderer
Reaction score
Okay so right now we as a band have decided to also tread in the 7 string world so we've invested in some really nice guitars the Ibby RGD2127z's :hbang:

so as the drummer who wants to know everything about everyone ELSE's instruments :rolleyes: (actually I want to play their guitars too hehehe). I just wanted to ask a couple questions to the experienced people on here! :wavey:

1. We're tuned in Drop A, which I think is standard on a six with the new addition of a string down tuned a full step to A. If we were to lets say have it in drop C (on a six) and add the low 7 it should be a G and thus making it actually Drop G on the 7? wouldn't that be too low for the strings that they sell at the store, I mean from my little guitar knowledge, I'd assume that the gauge wouldn't be thick enough and the strings would be very floppy right? What Gauges do you guys recommend for both tunings? (Drop A and Drop G *if thats the case*)

2. Apparently (the guy at the store said that) these prestige RGD's have "custom" pickups from Ibanez (well its a seven string it should be custom pickups if its stock from them :squint:) I think they sound okay IMO but then again I think putting in new pickups would be good? and I've been hearing endlessly about EMG707's and DiMarzio Liquidfire 7 in the N and Crunch Lab 7 in the B. What sounds better the stock pups, EMG's or DiMarzios.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yep there's plenty on this if you search, but anyway;
New pickups will be good indeed but I have no suggestions.
Yes G is way too low for standard sets BUT the standard sets are awful for standard anyway. Even tuned to BEADGBE, the 54s etc. with 7 string sets are way too loose for the other 6.
I strongly recommend (as do this forum in general, it seems) buying 6 string sets (13 gauge for C maybe?) and an additional single string (I'd say 70 or 68 for G) - easily found online. For example 'D'addario NW070'.

TheThirteenthFloor

Axe Murderer
Reaction score
I guess I'm just retarded at searching haha, although I was getting a lot of 6 string options... and instead of using usless google, which is usless IMO cause I searched "how to fix my iron cobras" and it gave me instructions on how to fix rock band drum kit pedals -.- Thanks for your help.

TheThirteenthFloor

Axe Murderer
Reaction score
Yep there's plenty on this if you search, but anyway;
New pickups will be good indeed but I have no suggestions.
Yes G is way too low for standard sets BUT the standard sets are awful for standard anyway. Even tuned to BEADGBE, the 54s etc. with 7 string sets are way too loose for the other 6.
I strongly recommend (as do this forum in general, it seems) buying 6 string sets (13 gauge for C maybe?) and an additional single string (I'd say 70 or 68 for G) - easily found online. For example 'D'addario NW070'.

I know Long and McQuades does custom strings, or would you say going to a store would cost more than buying the 6 set and the additional single string? Online shopping is pretty horrible in Canada, anything in the States its not worth it to ship cause it would be ridiculous international shipping fees :nuts:. So I'll look around for that set-up! Thanks for the help!

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Not custom strings as such, these are the single strings that brand such as Ernie Ball and D'addario stock :) Most stores will stock the single strings, just not the very thick ones.
Try the brand websites themselves.
The thick strings are pretty expensive...sometimes almost the price of a CHEAP 6 string set, but it's worth it imo.
Definitely don't pay the usual price for single 6 string sets. Try and order in bulk (3 packs or so) - saves a lot of cash and makes up for the single strings :)
If you look hard you can probably get a triple pack of 6, and three singles, for the price 3 sets would usually cost.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
707s will be infinitely better than non-brand stock pups. You could also go 81-7 in bridge and 707 in the neck. Just want to check size of your cavities before you jump in and upgrade.

holland1945

Reaction score
If you want to avoid routing the guitar I would go with a Crunchlab and liquifire. Though with such a low tuning I would put the crunchlab in backwards. Takes some of the mud out and is very tight. I think that ibanez is a baritone scale so a 70 should work. I would go with a 3 back of 70's and and a set of beefy slinkys.

Tranquilliser

Reaction score
I play in Drop G, using the D'Addario Baritone Mediums (14-68) for the bottom 6 strings, and then use a D'Addario .011 for the high D string.
Works a treat, and I'm sure the same guages would work fine for Drop C with a low G. :yesway: and also, props for the fucking rad tuning.

')