7 String Tuning question

• Thread starter 7seven7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7seven7

Heavy-7-Master
Reaction score
Hello' everyone - I am new to 7 string playing. I've played metal :hbang: on a six string since the late 80's - I've just purchased a nice Schecter Blackjack 7 :shred: and I was wondering about tuning.

Is it acceptable to tune the top string such as you would if tuning a 6 string in drop D?

Or do I tune it to B?

What about tuning stability problems? I want something that'll stay in tune fairly well - I'm using 56 - 10 strings, should string guages be a concern? :wallbash:

email me at: stonezeroband@yahoo.com -or- just reply to this post.

You're help is very appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey there, welcome. :yesway:

Standard seven tuning is BEADGBE. 10-56 shouldn't be a problem at all.

7seven7

Heavy-7-Master
Reaction score
I've only been joined to this forum for less than 24 hours and everyone has been great. Thanks for all of the help - I'll try both B and drop A tunings and let everyone know how it is going. :cheers:

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
7seven7 said:
Is it acceptable to tune the top string such as you would if tuning a 6 string in drop D?

Acceptable? Shit dude, it's your guitar. Tune it however the hell you want. Look at Mike Mushok from Staind. He's got the most F'd-up tuning I've ever heard of, and he's in a hugely successful band. Do what you want is what I say.

Speaking of which, I wonder how tuning ADADGBE would work.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
ADADGB
(AKA The "All my lessons from Tony MacAlpine were lost in the sands of time" tuning ;p )

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love "drop-a" because it's the ultimate lazy-man setup, you can play dropped and standard songs on the same guitar! haha...

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
ADADGB
(AKA The "All my lessons from Tony MacAlpine were lost in the sands of time" tuning ;p )
:lol: No doubt.

But! The tuning thing... well, the MM sig Ibby comes with THIS little tuning...

A#-F-C#-G#-D#-A#

And Mike says in an interview he generally uses the same thing you posted, HB, but down a half-step (so all flatted).

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
:lol: No doubt.

But! The tuning thing... well, the MM sig Ibby comes with THIS little tuning...

A#-F-C#-G#-D#-A#

And Mike says in an interview he generally uses the same thing you posted, HB, but down a half-step (so all flatted).
i coulda swore they came ADADGB tuning? Thats what the catalog said, i think... i'll check tomorrow.

tonewhore

Double down baby
Reaction score
Regor said:
Acceptable? Shit dude, it's your guitar. Tune it however the hell you want. Look at Mike Mushok from Staind. He's got the most F'd-up tuning I've ever heard of, and he's in a hugely successful band. Do what you want is what I say.

Speaking of which, I wonder how tuning ADADGBE would work.
Works fine. Sound damn good actually.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Regor said:
Acceptable? Shit dude, it's your guitar. Tune it however the hell you want.
As Regor said, tuning as down to personal taste. Try all the "traditional" tunings, but try adding extra strings lower OR higher. Try whatever you want. George Lynch tuned EADBGEA on his 7's.

As for strings, I use standard BEADGBE tuning with Ernie Ball 9-42's or 10-46's, but I always use a 56 for the low B. It just has a bit more tension than a 52 or 54 and helps with note clarity. Ernie Ball sell various gauge 7 string sets, and I think D'Addario do as well.

Oh, welcome aboard btw!

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I play BEADGBE because standard = the best.

Sometimes I play in drop A - AEADGBE.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
ADADGB

Lost in the tears of the sahara, you mean. :metal:

Apparentl the guy can still play like a fuckin' machine, but just doesn't. I don't know if that's better or worse than not being able to play in the first place, lol.

Roland777

Reaction score
Drew said:
Apparentl the guy can still play like a fuckin' machine, but just doesn't. I don't know if that's better or worse than not being able to play in the first place, lol.

There is one greater waste of talent - Tom Morello. Say what you want about him in general, the RATM-solo in "Take the power back" is fuckin' badass beyond recognition.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Roland777 said:
There is one greater waste of talent - Tom Morello. Say what you want about him in general, the RATM-solo in "Take the power back" is fuckin' badass beyond recognition.

I happen to really like Rage Against The Machine very much.

Roland777

Reaction score
I'm just saying, instead of him making his (lately very) annoying effect solos, he would be better off writing traditional solos, since he's shown that he has talent.

')