7 string with Soldano Hot Rod 100

• Thread starter sepsis311
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Anyone know if this combo is any good? I'm selling my beautiful 5150. Amazing amp, but after 8 years with it, i feel like trying something new. I have an opportunity to pick up a Soldano Hot Rod 100 (Snake Skin tolex btw) and matching soldano cab... I've played my 7 through it at low volumes and i loved it. Has anyone gigged with one of these in a metal band? Pros? Cons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I used a Hotrod 50XL with a Soldano cab for the longest time and I absolutely loved it. It seemed to have a very unique tone to it. I'd say go for it. :yesway:

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
i've played my 7 through an avenger 100w model. VERY similar to the hotrods. all I can remember is absolute CRUSHING tone. i know donnies got the soldano love. and if you like your modded 5150, well... nevermind, you'll just have to see for yourself.

note: soldanos are more "rock" (ie soulful) i'd say in the basic tone. 5150s seem to be a "messy" obnoxious version of a soldano IMO (not that thats a bad thing :D)

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure that a Soldano is going to be brutal enough for you. It's definately got that lead tone to die for, but the 5150 is pure metal rhythm incarnate. I would definately try it before you sell your 5150, because I'd to see you stuck with something you can't really use.

I love that Soldano lead, but I would never make use of it outside of a studio. It just doesn't have everything I need for live playing.

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
well i got the amp and it freaking rocks. I agree it's more of a rock amp, but this one has the xl mod, so it actually IS brutal as hell. It cuts through like crazy! With the 7 strings it reminds me of Dino's Demanufacture tone.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't it voiced vey similar to the 5150? I thought the 5150 was based on a SLO 100?
what's different between the 2 tonewise?

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
one loud amp...kinda hard to control and one demensional to my liking but a good and reliable power amp...i do not really think i would agree with 5150 and the slo 100 being about the same...hmmmmm....slo is serious high treble output gain the 5150 has a rumble and midrange that alot of guys kill for...soldano is a God of amp builders..and uses the best parts out there...the just usually are one demensional tones in each of his amp heads....

')