7 strings not used for metal.

• Thread starter lttoler
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lttoler

Reaction score
I have been a 7 string fan for years, and also a big fan of metal. Can anyone put together a list of bands that arent metal that use 7's? Some I have seen through the years have been Crossfade, Trapt, and perhaps Hed Pe. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Dave Weiner and Ra are two that come to mind. They're kind of hard rock, but I wouldn't call them metal.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have been a 7 string fan for years, and also a big fan of metal. Can anyone put together a list of bands that arent metal that use 7's? Some I have seen through the years have been Crossfade, Trapt, and perhaps Hed Pe. Thanks!

311 used them on one album. Hed Pe never used them. Going to try and not think about the other bands you mentioned ever again :noplease:

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Hed P.E definately do. Well, one guitarist uses a 7, the other a 6, to my knowledge. And despite them mixing it up with hip hop id still say they were metal-ish.... infact, i'm surprised nobody's mentioned them on this forum. I know hiphop-metal is a bit of a taboo nowadays, but those guitarists are fuckin brilliant. They really know how to utilise jazzy bluesy tones, cut back and let the bass take over in the perfect places and create some really good stuff. Listen to Ken 2012, it's nothing amazing but catchy as hell.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
311 used them on one album. Hed Pe never used them. Going to try and not think about the other bands you mentioned ever again :noplease:

Jackson Benge (hedPE) uses a 7321 with EMGs in it.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't know what they do now, as their last few albums have been pure garbage. But on their first few albums, I remember they used de-tuned 6'ers. I liked the first 3 albums, was a guilty pleasure, somewhat catchy. They're dead to me now though.

Jackson Benge (hedPE) uses a 7321 with EMGs in it.

Well I refuse to acknowledge whoever that is. They're not a band to me anymore. I'm just talking about their original 2 guitarists who were around for the first 3 albums.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
no, NOW they use downtuned sixers, as there's only two original members left, neither of which are the original guitarists. Their first albums were definately done on 7s

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
no, NOW they use downtuned sixers, as there's only two original members left, neither of which are the original guitarists. Their first albums were definately done on 7s

Nope. I remember seeing them live and in music videos, and interviews. They had six strings, Ibanez 6ers IIRC.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
perhaps ure right, but Only In America was a 7 string album, well... he's playing a 7 in the video for Represent anyway

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
perhaps ure right, but Only In America was a 7 string album, well... he's playing a 7 in the video for Represent anyway

Could be. Only in Amerika was the worst album ever, like I said I only paid attention the first 3 albums with the original lineup.

220BX

Reaction score
hed pe is a shit band these days with the new guitarist.. his guitar tone resembles a ringing bell only worse.. the first three albums as zimbloth stated were listenable , i really liked broke!! as for other non-metal bands i can only think of is Orgy and maybe cold and early staind(but i'm not sure)..

BTW in which album did 311 use 7's??

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
hed pe is a shit band these days with the new guitarist.. his guitar tone resembles a ringing bell only worse.. the first three albums as zimbloth stated were listenable , i really liked broke!! as for other non-metal bands i can only think of is Orgy and maybe cold and early staind(but i'm not sure)..

BTW in which album did 311 use 7's??

311 used them on the album "Soundsystem", on about 3-4 tracks. It's been like 5 years since I listened to those guys, but one track that I remember that was played on a 7 was 'Mindspin'.

Orgy definitely always has (Ryan Shuck at least).

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Joe Satriani and Steve Vai have have used them in non-metal ways. come'on, guys! :lol:

i play my 7 in my non-metal coverband :yesway:

olgluefoot

Reaction score
A band I used to listen to called "10 times a day" used 7-strings. Kinda a heavy pop/punk outfit.. pretty sure they are broken up though. The guitarist is now in a band called "Versus The Sun" and still using 7's ;)

')