7321 Opinions Needed

• Thread starter Plaschkes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Plaschkes

Israeli 8 Stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
O.K, here's the deal.

I've got a JP7 with piezo on order, should be here in about 2 months, and i also want to get another 7, hardtail, for some dropped tunings and a diffrent sound with some diffrent pickups.

Now, I don't have a big budget after the JP7, so I'm thinking about getting a 7321 and putting some dimarzios in there, but it seems a bit too cheap, and I'm scarred it's poorly made, and unfourtunetly, I live in israel and I don't really have an opprtunity to check it out without ordering it...

So, could you tell me your opinions about the 7321, and also, if you have any other suggestions i'd love to hear 'em.

:wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Roland777

Reaction score
Hey there.

I got my RG7321 before production was moved to Indonesia, so I guess I lucked out in that aspect. Don´t really know if anything has changed about it in general, but the public opinion seems to be that the build quality fluctuates wildly from specimen to specimen. However, if you´re lucky, (as I am), you´ll get a kickass guitar for a great price - the only change required being the pickups (put a Blaze Custom in the bridge!!!), then you´re set. As far as build quality goes, the only place you´ll find any traces of error is the fretwork and binding - some of the frets bulge out from underneath the binding, and I seem to have an uneven spot between frets 17-19 on the high E (but only the high E) when bending. However, that could depend on the string.... so I´d say some cosmetic issues at the frets/binding. Otherwise, it´s a great guitar well worth the money. Just switch the pickups and you´re set.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
I looked at 2 "new" 7321s the other day at Guitar Center...I didn't buy either of them. One of them was all scratched up and actually had a chip, the other just didn't feel well put together; there was a pretty good size gap between the neck pickup and the back of the neck, and you could see right down in at the ass of the neck. Just really looked poorly assembled.

The 1527 I got a while back destroys the 7321 in every aspect, of course it's not a hardtail, but my tremol-no works great. If money was the issue, I would wait and either buy a 1527 or a 7621 used.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
ive got one and its great, i mean its going to be blown away by a JP7 but its still a great guitar, stays in tune really well, the 5-way switch is great for 'strat-esque' sounds and its comfortable to play too, the only problem with it is the pickups, but since it seems you intend to change them you should have no major issues, hope that helped man

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a pair of 7321's and I friggin love the things. No, they're not as well put togather as a 7621 or a UV, but they're awsome beaters. They're cheap enough that you don't mind beating them to hell on stage, and really they play pretty well and sound pretty good once you swap in some decent pups. I'd say go for it, at the most it won't cost more than $425 or so for the guitar and pups, so what'd ya have to lose?

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Roland said:
Hey there.

I got my RG7321 before production was moved to Indonesia, so I guess I lucked out in that aspect. Don´t really know if anything has changed about it in general, but the public opinion seems to be that the build quality fluctuates wildly from specimen to specimen. However, if you´re lucky, (as I am), you´ll get a kickass guitar for a great price - the only change required being the pickups (put a Blaze Custom in the bridge!!!), then you´re set. As far as build quality goes, the only place you´ll find any traces of error is the fretwork and binding - some of the frets bulge out from underneath the binding, and I seem to have an uneven spot between frets 17-19 on the high E (but only the high E) when bending. However, that could depend on the string.... so I´d say some cosmetic issues at the frets/binding. Otherwise, it´s a great guitar well worth the money. Just switch the pickups and you´re set.
spot on.:yesway:

I just played (3) 7321's in the last 2 weeks at various guitar centers. All of them were "new," and seemed to be quite low quality. The neck is supposedly maple and walnut, but yet, they were very, very pale and white. The necks also had a D shape to them, which felt much fatter and different than the 7621's, 7421's, and my 1527. The rosewood was rather spotted, and had a lot of grain indents in it. As for the body, the finish felt a little softer than the usual Ibanez finish, and I just had the sense the whole guitar was of lower quality.

Overall, I want one... but either an older 7321, or the 7621 or 7421. The newest 7321's that I've seen lately aren't impressing me one bit.

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the 7,322nd post to this thread

:lol:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I played one on Monday and loved it. I definitely want to pick one up.

olsta

Reaction score
Plaschkes, i got a korean 7321, ive had it for about 2 year, i use it as my recording and gigging axe, build like a brick shithouse,
stock pups are ok, i put a seymour duncan custom in,
now it sounds like a $2K guitar. i love it.
i can comment on the indonesian ones now, never played them, i dont like the fact ibanez moved their manufacturing to indonesia, put me off abit...but if i play a good one i'd be happy.

if you find a korean one tho, go for it!

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
I'd try to get a used 7321 or 7421 if I were you. All these post 04 indonesian made ones seem to be shit.

I played one a few weeks ago and the neck was all messed up.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
I haven't tried the 7321 myself, but I'll agree with the big furry Elephant (Mastodon -ed.) and say you should go hunting on eBay. You can get one of the older, better 7321's for less cash, or a higher-end model for the same amount.

And if it has a few scratches, so what? :)

Plaschkes

Israeli 8 Stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem ain't the used condition, it's the fact i'm in israel... Most people don't ship worldwide, and even if they do ship it costs almost as much as the guitar + i won't get to try it out in case i end up not liking it...

I actually forgot about the T-No, maybe i'll contact them and see if they can ship it here so i could put it on my JP, and that'll pretty much sort this whole thing out.

Also, what's up with the 15271? is that Japan only, or would i be able to get it here?

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The RG15271 is Japan only, but Ishibashi and Ikebe both ship worldwide.

I'd agree with the general concensus, Korean RG7321's are great. Mine's one of my main 7's, along with my S7420. Hunt down an old one on Ebay or better yet get a second hand RG7621. Built in Japan, better neck profile, better body contours (I own both so I can gaurentee that's true), Gototh tuners and Dimarzio's as stock. You should be able to get one for about the price on a new RG7321.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
I think the general consensus is that the 7321 is a good base to get something decent for cheap, ie, do a bit of work on it, get it setup by someone or give it a good setup yourself, tweak it and you've got a good guitar for little cash.

Hell, if i had spare cash I'd get one and EMG the fuck out of it :)

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Yeah I took into consideration the fact that you live in Israel. I forgot to mention to ask around the boards to see if there is anyone here willining to get the guitar for you and then ship it over to you.

Pith777

Pith777
Reaction score
I play 7321 since 3 years and I must say that it is for beginners or semi when You will change the humbuckers for perhaos Di'marzio Evolution, etc. If You want something proffesional do buy it. My guitar doesn't tune :(

Plaschkes

Israeli 8 Stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
O.K, Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've thought about it, and decided to get a T-No for the JP, and in a few months of saving some cash, i'll get myself a more proffesional guitar with a tremolo for some diversty in sound and tuning, and again put a T-No on it and perhaps use it as a hardtail only. I'm thinking K7 for the mahogany, that'll be a killer with an X2N-7 in there... :hbang:

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Sounds pretty farkin' nice :)

If you want a mahogany-bodied seven, please do consider the S-series :) I know a lot of guys around here own one, and lord knows I love mine. But since you want a trem, it might be dubious. Some people say the Lo-TRS is inferior to Ibanez's other trem models. But damn, that neck is SWEET!

Plaschkes

Israeli 8 Stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
Loomer said:
If you want a mahogany-bodied seven, please do consider the S-series :)

I thought about the S-series, but i'm just too hooked on 24 frets. :shred:

Latest posts

')