7620 Reverse-Headstock/Vine +Swirl.Another Rich Fay Creation.

• Thread starter jtm45
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jtm45

Reaction score
I was on about the neck of this guitar here the other day.

He built the neck from scratch and it looks awesome. Reverse headstock a Vine and binding too!!!!!!!
I'm not personally a big fan of swirls really but if this guitar was Black (or even White ala. 'Rev 7 VWH stylee')it would be fuckin' gorgeous!!!!!!!!

I'm going to make enquiries with him about building me a reverse headstock neck with binding and a blank ebony board (it would be the coolest neck ever,possibly:lol: )
Here's a pic of the full guitar;
2d_12.jpg
69_12.jpg

Here's a link to his auction and some more pics!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-RG-7-s...0QQihZ012QQcategoryZ33043QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
i'm not normally a fan of the swirls, but i like how this one looks

jtm45

Reaction score
I think he said before that the fretboard was an NOS Jem one (or maybe an aftermarket Jem one?).
That's why it's got the pearl and the second white binding on it too make it the correct width for a 7. I think the binding looks really nice that way though.He's done a nice job on it!:agreed:

I personally would love to see a blank ebony board on it but there's a lot of people who are mad for vines(and the pearl ones are far nicer imo than the garishly coloured ones)so i reckon it'll sell no probs.

I think it's more likely that he'll get people bidding rather than hitting the 'Buy It Now' option though.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
i wasnt sure if he made his necks from scratch or just fixed broken ones (like the RG7 xl) i think ill have to shoot him an email and ask for a quote too, same idea as jtm45's i think reverse headstock & binding, blank ebony board... that said id defenatly go for a colour other than black, i have to many of those :lol:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
After playing 7DT's UV7PWH again yesterday I'm lusting after one even more. Looking at his prices it's tempting to get Richard to make me one, but with a few tweaks. AANJ, reverse headstock, bound fretboard an H-H pickup config.

jtm45

Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
Looking at his prices it's tempting to get Richard to make me one, but with a few tweaks. AANJ, reverse headstock, bound fretboard an H-H pickup config.

I've thought about getting an PWH-style AANJ guitar made (but the i 'think' about a lot of things:lol: )before.

That would be really sweet with the reverse headstock and stuff. Go for it James (you know you want to:agreed: ).

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ken, that's the thumbnail you linked, but I've seen that and I absolutely agree. Probably my favortie Jemsite-crowd custom. :yesway:

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
this guys definitely does good work, I asked about the 8 string guitar he has on his site which is on another post somewhere in the sevenstring section but he told the 8 string made just like that one was 1800 but would be cheaper depending on woods.

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
Yes its defo a Richard fay - I recognise the sheet he places his guitars on to take the picture!!!

his recent guitars seem to be getting pricier tho, and dont appear to be meeting their reserve, so it will be interesting to see how this one goes.

I love the colours of the swirl 7string he has on his home page, although the lime green is a bit putrid - but with those two-tone pups looks the dogs nads - I'm thinking of getting him to swirl my 7620 body for me, and debating whether to block off the neck pup and remove the tone and pick-up selector - simply having a coil-tapped neck pick-up....

Serratus

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my guitar that's up for auction, thanks for the interest.
Just to clear up a couple of things - it was an aftermarket jem replacement board that I widened using binding to make up to 7-string width (hence the complicated binding!).
And my prices haven't changed - this is only the 3rd whole guitar I've ebayed recently anyway (usually it's just been swirled bodies). The first was the DNA which made it's reserve easily (went for £680), the second was the XL model which missed it's reserve by £20 (I contacted the highest bidder and he upped his offer to the reserve and bought it, so it still sold anyway). Then this one. So to say that they "dont appear to be meeting their reserve" I think is a little unfair lol.
I don't know if this will sell or not really (I think there's probably quite a few people watching it after seeing this thread who won't bid, so I think the number of watchers is a bit irrelevant this time). It's one of my own personal guitars that I built a while ago (which is why the swirl is a bit paler than my more recent swirls) so it's not a case of making a profit for the business (same as with the XL model). I just don't play it much so thought I'd sell it and buy something else.
Anyway, thanks for the interest everyone,
Cheers for now,
Rich

jtm45

Reaction score
Welcome Rich:wavey:
Glad to see you managed to regsiter here in the end.
I remember you building this reverse h.s. Ibanez 7 over on jemsite.Love that neck man!
Weren't you doing an MC style coloured-pyramid type neck also at the time?
What happened to that one?

As for the 'not reaching their reserves' thing, well you always get a few of those "i will find something negative to say, even if i have to make it up!" type comments on every guitar-site.
They sorta' come with the territory.:lol:

You're well known in the 7(+)string and Ibanez community and the people who've seen and followed your threads know the quality of your work.

I'll speak to you soon (email you rather) about a new project that i need some advice on.

Cheers mate!.............Dave

Mr. S said:
i wasnt sure if he made his necks from scratch or just fixed broken ones (like the RG7 xl)

Rich didn't 'fix' the neck on that XL.:nono:
He bought an XL which had a broken neck so he scratch-built a brand-new neck for it (afaik anyway?).

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
jtm45 said:
Rich didn't 'fix' the neck on that XL.:nono:
He bought an XL which had a broken neck so he scratch-built a brand-new neck for it (afaik anyway?).

ah, really.. thats even cooler, thanks for enlightening me man... im defenatly going to get rich to do something for me at some point, either a new fretboard for a K7 or just an all out custom jobby, ill see where things stand in a few months... i wonder if he does neck thru's :idea: ill have to email and ask...

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
Serratus said:
The first was the DNA which made it's reserve easily (went for £680), the second was the XL model which missed it's reserve by £20 (I contacted the highest bidder and he upped his offer to the reserve and bought it, so it still sold anyway). Then this one. So to say that they "dont appear to be meeting their reserve" I think is a little unfair lol.

Sorry Rich, I didn't mean to offend, but all I have to go on is the auction itself, there's no way for the public to see your reserve price, and how close the final bid is to the reserve price. (and whether you sell or not outside the auction)

I LOVE the paint job on that first one and would like you to do something similar on my 7620 but without the green when I get the funds (or as I'm a freelance Web Designer I could make you a new site in exchange?!? :cool: )). I hope the reverse-headstock one sells, it looks awesome! Great work and welcome to the forum.

:hbang:

@jtm45 - sorry if that comment about guitars not reaching their reserve sounded negative - it certainly wasn't meant to be, simply an observation!!! I think Rich's work is awesome from what I've seen of it, I've certainly passed his site url around to all my guitar-playing friends and we're all in agreement about how exciting his work is! Perhaps people being quick to judge others seems to come with the territory as well...

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I remember seeing that on Jemsite. Impressive work by Richard Fay as always, that is beautiful. :agreed:

Serratus

Reaction score
That's alright mate, no offense taken Cyberi4n :cool:, I was just explaining :lol: .

')