7620 veneer and stain(first time content) 56K beware

• Thread starter Cyanide Assassin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
i dont have any sandbags..... i used 2 shelves from a book case and some spare tires as the weights...sooo...gotta think of something for the contour..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Then you use pillow cases filled with sand.

Additionally, you can heat the sand with a skillet so it'll heat the veneer and make it a little more bendy, but it's not that beneficial unless you're bending something thicker.

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
should i add a thin strip of white spruce down the center line to clean up the center line and give it a nice touch?

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
should i add a thin strip of white spruce down the center line to clean up the center line and give it a nice touch?

not if you can match the veneers well enough, no.

but if you fuck it up like I did mine then yeah ;) its a good fix haha

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
well i think im not gonna do it then.....i asked my fiance and shes like "well if you make it the same thickness as the top of the guitar part where your fingers are then yeah.".......:face palm: veneers match up reallllly well though so i think i wont do it.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
I say no to that, if the glue line turns out good. You should only think about doing this if it doesn't. And I'd say go for a rosewood strip if it turns out to be necessary, to tie it in with the fretboard. I think too many unrelated species of wood here and there will make it look too messy.

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
update: second piece is on and its looking good aside from a small bubble that is going to be fixed. just have to wait on some info from a friend on the french polish then ill get started and you guys will se everything. oh yeah headstock is also done, frets are polishe and fretboard is clean as a new neck. pics will come in a few hours after i get home from work in the morning.

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
2012-04-27191857.jpg

2012-04-27191811.jpg

2012-04-27191751.jpg

the pictures dont do the frets justice. the frets are shiny as hell and pretty much look like white stripes against the rosewood. and the rosewood on the fret board? looks damn good for a pawn shop find. more pics of the progress once i finish sanding it with the 320 grit and start with the pumice powder. all prep work just to START the french polish. gonna do the head stock first to get it down to where i feel comfortable doing everything on the body itself.

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
no sanding yet but i did manage to fix the small problem i had. here is what the body and neck look like with a bit of hardware on them.

2012-04-28213801.jpg

2012-04-28214134.jpg

2012-04-28214235.jpg

2012-04-28214205.jpg

TMatt142

vagitarian
Reaction score
turned out pretty good! Did you get any air bubbles when you glued the veneers down?

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
had one or two but they were at the ege of the routs so i was able to use a sliver of wood and get some glue between the veneer and the body and then i re applied pressure and they're not there anymore.

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
today i did the wash coat. and my god i can not wait until i can actually see the finished product myself. the pictures i took do not do the headstock justice so far. it looks so good in person. all i have to say is look at the pictures of the before and after the initial coat...and without further ado...i present you with pictures.

2012-05-01074410.jpg

2012-05-01074229.jpg

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
He doesnt have a router :noplease: lol.

"oh my god!" after one day man?! You got a lot more to go ;)

well bob...im merely saying this because of how much the grain popped and how everything will look once its done. i love how its looking so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')