7DT's retubing help thread - help meeeeee!!!!!!!!!

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Man, I am slightly confused at the moment, but hey, anyway...

What I want to do:

- A new set of valves for the triaxis (it's been a good 3 years since it had any, and I think they are just stock mesa's)

- Possibly a set for the UL, although if they can remain stock and if i can replace 1-3 preamp tubes then that would be a bonus!

- V1 tube for the 5150, which I assume is a tung sol?

And hence, what tubes? I've looked on sites, but am a bit, well, overwhelmed really with the choices...

Oh, and then the next step, where to get ALL of them from at the same time!

Has anyone tried the eurotubes triaxis kit? I like the high gain/high gain low noise ones, but have utterly no idea which one would be best...

If someone can give me a list of good tubes for the triaxis and where to get them from all at the same time it'd be cool, as my head is starting to hurt... :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
as far as just having good options, im a big fan of Welcome to TubeDepot.com!
you ought to be able to get everything there

[edit]
wait what the hell, youre in the uk. dunno if they ship over there

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Tung sol in the V1 in amazing. I put JJ's in the rest, which i'm told by 99% of the people I talk to, that they're the best. I still have the Svetlanas in the power section... I need to figure out what I want to do about those...

Has anyone tried the eurotubes triaxis kit? I like the high gain/high gain low noise ones, but have utterly no idea which one would be best...
:(

I wouldn't put more than one JJ803s in the preamp. The regular JJ83S's give me plenty of gain, even on the 7. But i've heard from a few different people who have tried the "High gain" kits that they get lots of feedback and hiss.

My suggestion is to get the regular kit, try it, get a tung sol for the V1, and A/B it to see which one works out better. That's what I did. Subtle differences, but I liked the tung sol in V1 better, it was smoother. But all in all, you can't go wrong with the JJ's, they're awesome.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
Have you bought from Eurotubes before, squire? Bob, the guy that runs the site, is really bloody helpful and if you tell him what sounds you want out of your amp, he'll either recommend one of the pre-defined kits or make one up for you

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Have you bought from Eurotubes before, squire? Bob, the guy that runs the site, is really bloody helpful and if you tell him what sounds you want out of your amp, he'll either recommend one of the pre-defined kits or make one up for you
Do you just email him about it? Or is there some other way? I currently have an order with him, and if he hasn't shipped it yet, then there's that, "i could save on postage" and order some more stuff...

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you just email him about it? Or is there some other way? I currently have an order with him, and if he hasn't shipped it yet, then there's that, "i could save on postage" and order some more stuff...

Yeah, just shoot him an e-mail. :yesway:

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
Watford valves are actually really good.

I buy all my valves from Hot Rox as i'm cheap and can only ever afford Sovtek (which actually sound o.k)

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Email Bob if you're goins with JJ's.
I don't know about the Triaxis, but with the 5150, I used to run a tung sol in V1, and V2 and high gain JJ's the rest of the way, with JJ power tubes.
mine sounded great (I atually have my JXS set up that way right now too).

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
the guy that fixes my amps showed me a couple of Sovtek tubes that failed. one actually melted the glass, then arc'd to the chassis, destroying the grid. it was pretty cool, but NOT something i'd ever want to look over and see... and smell... :lol:

he said he's seen that happen to Sovteks, and everything under the sun that is just a relabeled Sovtek, but not any JJ's. i'm sure that's a stretch, but he fixes my shit, so i inherently trust him :)

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
For V1 I'd suggest for all of you high gain guys the Harma 7025 from Watford Valves which is a very high gain 12AX7 compatible tube. Be sure to get the cryo treated version as it's even lower noise. Cheap and VERY effective (btw I use cryo treated NOS Philips 12AX7A tubes for all other position, sounds REALLY good :D )

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah if you're in the UK, dont go eurotubes go watford valves/harmas.

')