7's in San Francisco?

• Thread starter Kemono
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kemono

Reaction score
I've been playing 6's for 20 years. I always wanted a 7 and when I was at Berklee, 7's were everywhere. Too bad I threw so much money away on that lousy school. If only they had student loans for self-guided education (college != education), I could have bought a 7 and taking private lessons...

Back to reality.

Now, I go to GC and see just one 7 - some Ibanez made in Indonesia.

Where can I find some quality 7's in San Francisco? Like RC7 or C7, or MIJ Ibanez? Lookin to spend $400 - $900 USD.

The 6's I play are all MIJ Ibanez RG. I like those, except for the tone nob and the not-so-good placement of pup switch. I like crunch tones, not over the top gain, and tend to like SD pups and Mesa Boogie amps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
I feel your pain man, It's just as bad here over in the Central Valley (Modesto/Tracy area). The GC here usually has one or two 7s that are the only ones in stock, and since they are floor models, they are dinged up pretty badly. :noplease:

Have you looked at any independent music shops in SF/Berkeley area? Sometimes you can go in and ask them to order you a specific guitar if you put a deposit on it.

Other than that, your best bet would be to order online or look on craigslist. Sometimes their are some sick deals on used guitars people just want to get rid of.

You can also get a stock Carvin guitar for about $900 from carvinguitars.com

Hope this helps!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Order something online from a reputable shop. If you don't like it send it back for a full refund.

Wyldefan916

Reaction score
I've been playing 6's for 20 years. I always wanted a 7 and when I was at Berklee, 7's were everywhere. Too bad I threw so much money away on that lousy school. If only they had student loans for self-guided education (college != education), I could have bought a 7 and taking private lessons...

Back to reality.

Now, I go to GC and see just one 7 - some Ibanez made in Indonesia.

Where can I find some quality 7's in San Francisco? Like RC7 or C7, or MIJ Ibanez? Lookin to spend $400 - $900 USD.

The 6's I play are all MIJ Ibanez RG. I like those, except for the tone nob and the not-so-good placement of pup switch. I like crunch tones, not over the top gain, and tend to like SD pups and Mesa Boogie amps.

Have you tried looking at Musicians Friend? Free shipping and no tax. If I was in your budget range, this would be my first choice...

Schecter Guitar Research Jeff Loomis-7 String Electric Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

or if I would pay just an extra $100...

Schecter Guitar Research Jeff Loomis FR 7-string Electric Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Just search around there, and like stated before, send it back for a full refund if you don't like it.

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
Have you looked at any independent music shops in SF/Berkeley area? Sometimes you can go in and ask them to order you a specific guitar if you put a deposit on it.

^^^ This.

Your best bet is to try B Street Music in San Matteo or Gelb down in Redwood City. The stores in the city just dont want to bother carrying anything like that. I figured that Rocker Gtrs would've realized there's a demand for them. But even they seem to be catering to the cork-sniffers these days.

')