7th string buzz

• Thread starter csm84
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Boogyman69

Reaction score
What are the best strings for Drop A on a seven 26,5" axe?
Is there any pack that corrects all this tension mumbo jumbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FunnelWeaver

Reaction score
What are the best strings for Drop A on a seven 26,5" axe?
Is there any pack that corrects all this tension mumbo jumbo?

Personal preference, really. I think the D'Addario 10-59 set is great on 26.5", but I know a lot of people here think the 59 is too light. Might also check out the Dunlop Heavy Core 7 set, which is 10-60, though they hold tension like a heavier gauge would. Both are great sets in my opinion.

mongey

Reaction score
Ok so i need a 66 gage string for 7th string? And the 49-11 on the other 6 strings are fine? Since i am changing gage string on me 7th string do i need to get it set up again and intonated?

11 to 49 is tight for standard E for sure. but if you like that there's no reason to change . its not beyond a normal range, just on the tight end of it

circle K and daddario both have a pdf tension chart on their websites . great tool for seeing whats going on tension wise . since you use daddario I'd download that one as CK have slightly tighter tensions then them

youll see that a 49 in E is 19.7 pounds and a 66 in A is 16.3 pounds so 66 will still feel a good bit looser than the E .

and it took me about a year to sort out the gauge that worked best for me when I got my first 7 . I chaged my mind a bunch of times. so I'd say just buy a few different ones and try them

GoreNotCore

Reaction score
Is it normal? Maybe it is. I dont know??? :/ just doesnt seem like i have never encountered that problem before. Can other people confirm this is true so i can stop obsessing over it. Lol if you are unsure get your guitar and try it. Pres the string hard all the way down on the fret board. Does it make your note sharp when you do that?

its completely normal. if your string touches the fretboard, youre using way too much pressure. it shouldnt do that ever. the frets are there to make the note. the fret is the only thing the string should touch. using that much pressure will slow down your playing, damage your fretboard and probably cause some serious carpal tunnel syndrome. my worst habit after i switched from bass to guitar was using too much pressure (still not enough to make the string touch the fretboard though) it was a really bad habit and it prevented me from playing fast and having accurate pitch. its pretty much impossible to do sweeps cleanly with too much pressure. you only need enough pressure to make the note and nothing more. i would highly suggest practicing as light fingering as possible. otherwise you will just have speed and pitch issues.

as for string gauges it is ALL about preference. i use Ernie ball cobalts in 56-42-36-22-15-13-10. i like to bend the hell out of my pinch harmonics and thick strings make it a pain in the butt.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I currently use a 10-46 + 60 in B Standard/Drop A. I don't like using anything more than a .62 for the low B/A because if you use a .68, that's a quite a bit larger than a .46 for the Low E. To me it feels insanely strange playing a guitar and jumping from one string to something that is so radically larger.

I do tune my low string up to C sometimes, so a .60 is what I usually have because the tension is fine for me in A, perfect in B, and tight in C. It is all preference, so you could just order a variety and try them all in order from smallest ---> largest to find out what's good for you. Tension charts may tell you that a .70 is the right tension in A, but you'll never know unless you try it.

chopeth

Reaction score
Ok so i need a 66 gage string for 7th string? And the 49-11 on the other 6 strings are fine? Since i am changing gage string on me 7th string do i need to get it set up again and intonated?

I have the same guitar as you and I tune to A standard instead of drop A. I use a 64 as a 7th, but I will change it next for a 66. I think it is about it when you want a 7th in A. 64-66, depending on what you like, loose or tight. The other 6 are maybe a bit to tense for regular tuning, but nothing extreme. If you like it so tight, go on with it.

wat

Reaction score

a 66 should be really good, it'll give you a nice solid note that rings loud and clear and holds pitch.

csm84

csm84
Reaction score
Got my guitar back today. I went with ernie ball 8 string pack and left out the thinnest string. I think my 7th string is a 0.74 . I think there was some missunderstanding with the tech because i told him to put 0.66 on the 7th string. But i got it and jammed a little at the shop. And the buzzing is gone. :) and i think it sounded nice and felt nice. I liked the tension. And even though those were some pretty thick strings i liked the feel and think its going to rock when i get more time to jam out.

wat

Reaction score
a .074??? :eek:

Lol I think you might have been the one who was confused for having him leave out the thinnest string instead of the thickest, lol.

')