8 sting attempt...

• Thread starter sk3ks1s
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mellis

dude what
Reaction score
Whoa dude that is so sick for your first build! I just moved from St. John's to Sydney Australia after being there 14 years. I always wondered if anyone else was into the whole ERG thing haha, as I have an 8 string myself.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Some updates:

Routed the truss rod channels and installed the rods.
Cut out the fret board and truss rod cover.
Trimmed the neck (kept the thickness to have a flat back to make it easier to work with).
Routed the binding channel.
Started installing some maple binding (not easy...).

Truss rod...

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

Fret board and cutting the neck...

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

Binding... :scratch:

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

Hopefully finish my debacle of a binding job tomorrow... Possibly glue the fret board on, might wait on that one though.

Digideus

Reaction score
IMG_2779.jpg

Is that really necessary? What you using for strings? Boat anchor chains? :D

Seriously, wont that make it really heavy AND give you problems keeping both rods at the same tension?

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
^Most 8 strings have dual truss rods. some argue it is unnecessary, but in the end it really doesn't matter.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You know all that stuff you skipped on your first attempt? That's all the stuff that turns it from a guitar-shaped sculpture into an actual playable instrument. ;)

You may want to try following through on some of those details before you try it out on your more expensive wood. :)

You may have found it easier to slot the fretboard before it was tapered. It's now going to take a lot more care and patience to ensure the frets are perpendicular to the strings.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You CANNOT freehand with a router, no matter how much practicing you do. Always make a template... Always. You also will find you can't really do body binding on a forearm carve with a normal router... When you see binding on forearm carve guitars, the channel is usually done with a CNC... I've tried to imagine ways of doing it, but I've not put my theories to the test yet.

A lot of people use smaller hand-held laminate trimmers instead of full-size routers. They're a lot more maneuverable.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I do have a make shift jig rigged up to ensure that the frets are perpendicular. I did 2 truss rods cause what little info I could find out about 8's mentioned it... so I figured 2 would compensate for shotty work, haha. And it is all still a learning curve for me... So again, comments, criticisms, and everything are encouraged. :yesway: (and I am planning on investing in a Dremel and router base)

Digideus

Reaction score
Check the blackmachine site. When Doug built his first 8 string he went with 2 truss rods, but he found the weight made it neck heavy, which is why a lot of them have a single rod and carbon fibre rod reinforcement.

Still, the work so far looks great!

death408

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I do have a make shift jig rigged up to ensure that the frets are perpendicular. I did 2 truss rods cause what little info I could find out about 8's mentioned it... so I figured 2 would compensate for shotty work, haha. And it is all still a learning curve for me... So again, comments, criticisms, and everything are encouraged. :yesway: (and I am planning on investing in a Dremel and router base)

I plan on making a 8 string in the future but why not route channels for a piece of aluminum to reinforce neck probably just as strong without the carbon fiber cost. :yesway:

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Some more updates:
Finished binding on the body. There are a couple chips which I'm gonna fill. Also, I could not, for the life of me bind the tips of the horns. Tried a bunch of different things... Nothing worked. So I tapered them kinda like what I did with the forearm bevel. Not 100% what I wanted, but it didn't turn out too bad. That's what I get for starting with maple binding instead of plastic... ah well. Cut the headstock out... Went pretty swimmingly.

IMG_2806.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

The headstock... which I'm gonna do with the same binding (taper the tips as well).

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

Called HipShot and got the measurements of the bridge so I can go ahead and start shaping the fretboard and neck.

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
The body looks bit strange, but overall this project looks really good.

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
i think your gonna end up unhappy with the heel joint and the alignment to the rest of the body. i was using a body from a different guitar for 8, and the layout wasnt right and the neck would of sat funny...by looking at it, it looks like the neck is pushed up to the top area, and shoulder curve portion of the guitar...the symmetry is off.

unless you were going for this in your design, then i apologize.

serious question though.

love the build and headstock, but is the headstock going to live up to the tensions youre putting it under? Especially near the F#, B, E, and A tuners...o

and ive never seen truss rods where the actual adjustment nut was visible...usually they were further down the actual neck...not sure if this will affect your build or not..

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, I have to say I'm impressed for a first-timer! I still haven't tried doing this (one day I will:hbang:), but my first time will probably be just a deformed piece of wood hahaha but I will give it a try some time :) I definitely want to keep track of this project! :agreed:

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
i think your gonna end up unhappy with the heel joint and the alignment to the rest of the body. i was using a body from a different guitar for 8, and the layout wasnt right and the neck would of sat funny...by looking at it, it looks like the neck is pushed up to the top area, and shoulder curve portion of the guitar...the symmetry is off.
The neck is actually going to be sitting off the heel a little bit... Kinda like a super access neck. I wanted something like that originally, but I think it might be off a little bit too much. I'm pretty sure if I position the bolts right it should still be structuraly sound. Might take a while to get used to... but I don't spend much time up there anyways (as my playing is sub-par to say the least).
As for the headstock... I've worked out the amount of tension the strings will be putting on the neck and it should be fine (I think).

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Updates:

Headstock binded
Fretboard scored (not sawed)
Fretboard glued
Neck carved (90%-ish)

Had to bind the headstock the same way I did the tips of the horns. Just tapered them into the walnut (anyone know how its done properly??? :scratch:). Couple of teeny tiny gaps which will be filled.
Fretboard was scored and glued with surprising accuracy. Still waiting on a fretsaw. Anyone know if any household blades have roughly the same kerf?
The neck is carved and sanded to about 150 grit... still a bit more to go. 20mm at the nut and kind of compounds to 25mm at the 19th. Tried a volute... started with the basic cut-out and kept reshaping and reshaping until there was nothing left... So yeah. As you can see, the neck sits well off the heel... I wanted that a little. Not this much. My question is will this affect the structural integrity? Still planning on doing 5/6 bolts. Anyways...

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

DSC03524.jpg

DSC03525.jpg

DSC03526.jpg

')