8 sting attempt...

• Thread starter sk3ks1s
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Dang IT, that thing is sweet! I can't believe you don't do this regularly. That headstock design is suuuper nice. And the access of the neck heel is great. I'm assuming you'll be able to bolt it up fine, so hopefully that's the case (as you said). Ballsy to shoot for the stars without having a lot of experience under your belt, but that's how I do things, so :yesway:.

Bananalyze

Reaction score
Dude..... that is P-H-A-T phat.

Obviously you aren't done with the back of the neck, but the front looks beautiful. Love that maple(?) fretboard!

Aurochs34

SDMF, mofos
Reaction score
Looking great, man! I'm excited to see this baby finished!

And I've gotta say, for no woodworking experience whatsoever (really?)...well I think you should do some more, because this is an insanely good start!
My beginnings were as a kid...building skateboard ramps and whatnot...some people fell through them, others did not...you know. :lol:

Rokkaholic

Reaction score
Really cool. Seems blackmachine inspired :yesway: What is the fingerboard made of? What a coincidence it had a nice pattern on it.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Really cool. Seems blackmachine inspired :yesway: What is the fingerboard made of? What a coincidence it had a nice pattern on it.

Very BlackMachine inspired... The fretboard is just a piece of maple I scored at Kents for like $6. Probably plainsawn (can someone confirm?) so may not be as stable... But the piece was enough to do a matching truss rod cover AND elec. cavity cover.

yacker

Reaction score
Probably plainsawn (can someone confirm?)

Yea it's definitely plain sawn. You can tell by the figuring, it has what is called a cathedral grain pattern (what looks like towers etc.) vs. quarter sawn would have straight grains, more in tune with the grain pattern of the maple on the back of your neck.

Groove

Reaction score
This looks absolutely amazing! Gives me hope my build in the summer won't go horribly wrong :lol:

Originally i wasn't going to do the neck for mine but now i think i just might. You don't mind if i pm you when i'm in the process just for a bit of advice along the way? Tests or no tests, i'm so looking to start my 8 string now! haha

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Thanks. No, I don't mind. However, there are far more talanted people on this forum that could help you infinately more. But I'll try.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Updates:
So it happened... shagged it up. While I was putting the finishing touches on the neck contours I managed to blow right thru to the truss rod. :noway:
So I have to redo the neck... Ah well, can't complain I guess. Back at it. Screw ups were bound to come sooner or later.
I am however going to use this as an opportunity to try a couple new methods. One truss rod. Gonna attempt a scarf joint, mainly to reduce wood waste (like 60% of the neck wood is in shavings and dust on the deck). So, not gonna let it get me off course. On a more positive note... scored me some wood. No plans for it yet (although that wenge makes me wanna rethink my walnut choice). Anyways... less talk, more pictures.

The hole was much smaller when I first discovered it. I literally picked this out with my fingernail...

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

Counter-productivity... (disassembling these things is harder than assembling them)

IMG_2888.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

The remnants of a once promising neck... :noplease:

IMG_2893.jpg

Wood... (insert phallic joke here)

Maple 1x6x72
IMG_2884.jpg

Mahogany 1x5x48 (pretty bland but mahogany nonetheless)
IMG_2881.jpg

Purpleheart 1x6x40
IMG_2880.jpg

Paduk 1x6x37
IMG_2879.jpg

Wenge 1x6x61
IMG_2882-1.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

As always, I shall keep you posted...

Bananalyze

Reaction score
Bummer about the neck. :(

at least you get a second shot at it.... that wenge looks great, it'll look beautiful with the maple and purpleheart. good choice. :yesway:

EDIT: I didn't actually read the whole thing and assumed you were going to re-make the neck with all three woods. My bad

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Aawwww man! That really sucks! :( I even liked the grain on you neck... Oh well, I'm glad to see you're not giving up :agreed:... I kinda want to see that wenge somewhere :D

SD83

Reaction score
Sorry about the neck, it hurts just to look at the pics... but that new wood looks great, especially the Wenge & Padouk.

Groove

Reaction score
Damn that's a shame! That is some nice wood you got there though! I just love the look of wenge now! Every piece looks so unique and interesting, and that's an especially good piece you got there.

I can't wait to see how this looks when it's all done :)

GuitarJay82

Reaction score
Wow outstanding job on this entire project!:bowdown: Personally if it were me and I had all that time invested and then damaged the neck I would have freaked out on an epic scale and would likely be locked up right now LOL. I must say the new fretboard material looks delicious, I like it better. Can't wait to see it when your finished.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah... I'm not gonna lie, it was disappointing. But I just enjoy doing this so much and want to see it done for myself... so I gotta finish it. Just waiting to get out to my friends and rip those boards down so I can start again. Gonna do a scarf joint this time. This way I can get 6 laminates from a board instead of just 2. Gonna try and track down another nice piece of plain swan maple for the fretboard again. Hoever I do see a wenge fretboard on something I make in the future... I'll post some pics as soon as I make progress.

Rusti

Reaction score
I also had to re-build my first neck :)
Sure next one will be better ;)
i love that chocolate body :p

')