8 sting attempt...

• Thread starter sk3ks1s
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lctdmf

Reaction score
Uneven design.

Doesn't really look like an RG/Blackmachine shape much at all to be honest.

You could use this to get the correct shape for an RG, but you'd have to modify the heel area.

jem777_blueprint.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for those blueprints. You're probably right about it not looking like either. I think I'm gonna put a bit more girth at the butt and take a bit away from the horns. Give it a more even look... I'm also thinking about doing a binding as well. Anyone know how this flows into the armpit bevel (don't know what it's actually called)? Would I put it on as normal then carve into it (essentially making it disappear at that point)?

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Cutting and shaping over the past couple of days. Did a rough cut and planned on fine sanding but didn't realize how hard walnut actually is. So I ran the router along the edge and made a few deep cuts... nothing a little sand paper and elbow grease couldn't fix.

DSC03447.jpg

DSC03448.jpg

DSC03449.jpg

DSC03450.jpg

DSC03452.jpg

DSC03453.jpg

DSC03454.jpg

Starting to shape up...

DSC03455.jpg

Back cut-outs.

DSC03457.jpg

DSC03458.jpg

DSC03459.jpg

DSC03460.jpg

DSC03461.jpg

DSC03462.jpg

DSC03463.jpg

DSC03464.jpg

DSC03465.jpg

DSC03466.jpg

Front bevel...

DSC03467.jpg

DSC03469.jpg

That's pretty much it until I get my hardware for measurements. Probably glue the neck laminates together tomorrow, then wait...

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know why you went ape shit on the edges with a router, but the end result is looking pretty good. :yesway:

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
if you want to use a router. make a template of the outline form MDF and get a bearing bit. then cutting hte body is EZ PZ

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Yeah, in hindsight that would have been the way to go. I need to practice with my router. I'm planning on doing binding... planning.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Started work on the neck. None of the maple strips match... which is actually kinda cool. After hours of planing/sanding, I ended up with a nice straight neck. After planing, I wasn't left with a very thick blank which resulted in a more acute headstock angle... which should still be fine... right?

DSC03470.jpg

DSC03471.jpg

DSC03472.jpg

DSC03475.jpg

DSC03476.jpg

DSC03478.jpg

DSC03479.jpg

DSC03480.jpg

DSC03481.jpg

DSC03482.jpg

DSC03483.jpg

DSC03486.jpg

DSC03487.jpg

DSC03488.jpg

Also did some alterations to the body. Sharpened the horns a little. Kinda worried about the placement of the heel join... the bolts are gonna be a little off center. That gonna be a big problem? I plan to use 5 minimum.

DSC03490.jpg

Cutting out the headstock tomorrow and routing the truss rod channels.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Man that's nice! This might be your first guitar build, but you have woodworking experience, yes?

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Thanks... and none. Kinda just winging it and copying what I see in pictures on here. Unless you count cutting firewood.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, in hindsight that would have been the way to go. I need to practice with my router. I'm planning on doing binding... planning.

You CANNOT freehand with a router, no matter how much practicing you do. Always make a template... Always. You also will find you can't really do body binding on a forearm carve with a normal router... When you see binding on forearm carve guitars, the channel is usually done with a CNC... I've tried to imagine ways of doing it, but I've not put my theories to the test yet.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Also, headstock angle is fine. I personally don't do more than 6 or 7 degrees, it doesn't take much, and when you do a lot of angle on the headstock, you'll find you'll always need to use a slippery nut material, because of the added pressure of the string over the nut...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Thanks... and none. Kinda just winging it and copying what I see in pictures on here. Unless you count cutting firewood.

Well then I think you found your calling. I gotta think there's some natural talent there.:agreed:

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
You CANNOT freehand with a router, no matter how much practicing you do. Always make a template... Always. You also will find you can't really do body binding on a forearm carve with a normal router... When you see binding on forearm carve guitars, the channel is usually done with a CNC... I've tried to imagine ways of doing it, but I've not put my theories to the test yet.

Yeah... I learned my lesson. I'm gonna use a template/fence for all of the good stuff. I have the bit/bearing for the binding. I think I'm going to taper the binding at the shoulder keeping it parallel with the top. Gonna practice on the pine one first to see how the taper looks and to get some practice.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a black (or blackish) nut blank about 2 1/2" wide? I got a bone one from StewMac that was 2 3/8" (roughly) but its the vintage tan color. Gonna use it to practice cutting it and whatnot, but I would ultimately like to have a color that will match the guitar. I guess while I'm on the topic... what material would be best (bone, synthetic, tusq, etc.)? Gonna be a fixed bridge, in line 8 headstock (don't know what else would determine the material used for the nut)...
Thanks.

')