8 string and 6 string in a band

Mastermind

Reaction score
Hey, have anyone tried this yet?

2 guitars, one 8 string, one 6 string in a band. 8 string in dropped E (EBEADgbe), 6 string in standart (EADgbe). 8 string is playing extended chords, or octaves to riffs, for example 6 string: 022, 8 string: 00022.

Did anyone tried this and what are the results?

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrYakob

Reaction score
We do that with my band (mainly because my other guitarist is too cheap to buy another guitar :noplease: ) It works quite well, adds an interesting sound with the extended range

Dayn

Reaction score
I tried something like that... the orchestration was just not right for my music. It was unnecessary. I prefer to write extra guitar parts that don't 'double' the eight-string, like adding higher-pitched chords, small melodies or arpeggios, stuff like that. I found it makes the extra guitar stand out, rather than being lost.

The Norsemen

A Viking
Reaction score
My band does that. Except we play in B standard.
So I look at my 8 as 0-7 instead of 1-8

I wanted an 8 string mostly. It's cool because I can play an interval between my lead guitarist and bassist during certain parts of our songs. Or just drop my 8th down to E and bar it for a thicker, lower sound.

windowlikcer

Reaction score
Here is how my band does it (studio recording):

I play an 8 tuned to F and the other guy plays a 6 in drop C. The effect is subtle but if you listen closely you'll hear what we are doing with it.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I'm doing some writing right now with this type of thing going on. A six string on one guitar in C standard, and an 8 string tuned minor thirds from the same C on the low string. It makes it much easier to develop orchestration, and it's still possible (though not super easy) to lock in to the same thing for a few bars here or there when you want a section of a song to really punch through.

I have a bit more work to do before any of it's ready to listen to, but it's certainly opened up some interesting ideas musically for me.