8 string artists who actually use all strings?

• Thread starter guitarforlife
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
That's pretty cool, sounds like tech death opeth or something. I really like how they don't use the lowest string very often so the rare times they do it REALLY has an impact. Their EP is great.

this is exactly why I want to get into 7 strings. Write stuff on a 6...throw it on a 7 and see what you can do :D

7stg

Reaction score
I also would recommend Ihsahn. He is a very talented player and is not djent. He started using 7's on the last 2 albums with Emperor, and his first album with 8's is his solo project album after.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
After the Burial must have SIGNIFICANTLY changed their sound, because I remember them being mindless 2-low-string chug.

They've been all over the fretboard from the very beginning, they've never ever been "2-low-string chug."

First album:

Second album:

Third album:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I came here to mention AAL, ATB, and MDB, but it looks like everyone managed to beat me to it :lol: all awesome bands :yesway:

davemeistro

Reaction score
I know Animals as Leaders was mentioned already, but if you haven't checked out Javier's solo stuff it's definitely worth a listen!

Also, Josh Martin is a BOSS

n4t

Reaction score
Pretty sure the OP was a troll, but this thread has turned out to be pretty informative nonetheless. Nice!

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
I can't think of any off-hand that use the highest strings for anything other than long drone notes and solos, but I think that counts! Some of their songs certainly have riffs that aren't just lowest string chugfests too, though. I, Obzen and Koloss all have plenty of riffs that make their way up the neck/strings. If you're looking for stuff with like, a bunch of high string arpeggiation or something, I dunno if you're going to find it! I could always plug the obvious Deftones (Koi No Yokan, anyway, the 8 string songs on Diamond Eyes are kinda what you describe) and Little Tybee though.

Totally agree man. The clean bits in Bleed are sorta jazzy and use a lot of higher strings.
Deftones also use the high strings a fair bit.

Do Intervals make use of an 8 on the new album?

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Ever Forthright, anyone?!

I have the feeling they use more 8's than Periphery for example (I believe they use mostly 6's and 7's in a lot of different tunings, am I right?)

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
I also would recommend Ihsahn. He is a very talented player and is not djent. He started using 7's on the last 2 albums with Emperor, and his first album with 8's is his solo project album after.

You're a bit off. They only used 7s on the Prometheus album. They still used 6s on IX Equilibrium.

And if I'm not mistaken, he also used a 6 on The Adversary and Angl, the first two solo albums. After that (After, Eremita, and the newest one) he used an 8.

EDIT: everything was always in standard tuning also.

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
They've been all over the fretboard from the very beginning, they've never ever been "2-low-string chug."

First album:

Second album:

Third album:

I don't know what Preposition the Noun/Gerund the Verb band I was confusing them for, but they're pretty different from what I remember. Still don't like them one bit, but for much different reasons than I thought at first.

@1:25 in the first song: OH YEAH, that's what I remember from them.

Latest posts

')