8 string as your only guitar?

• Thread starter lead23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackStar7

Lord Autumnbottom
Reaction score
From my admittedly limited experience with ERGs, this seems to largely depend on how you play a normal 6 string. If you're the type of player who like myself (and I imagine a lot of metal players) is used to wailing away on the 6th string, than it might become problematic not hitting the 7th and even 8th string when playing music written for a 6. However, the adjustment period to avoid this doesn't seem too bad, and it can really only be a good thing. It may force you to become much more accurate with your picking attack on the 6th.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
i have a lot of trouble switching frequently between my 8 and a 6,

the scale length is enough of a problem, then i feel like i'm missing 2 strings (CAUSE I AM!!!)

and on top of that the strings are generally slightly further apart on the 6 string.. a drrr

i only play 8 string now

i can't go into a music store to try a piece of gear anymore, not without bringing my guitar, which is kind of pretentious although it is necessary i believe even if i played 6 because of the shite they generally have lying around a store in way of guitars

anyway after being a snob for tone and gear for the last umpteen years i don't really see much of anything i'd want in a store anyway.. (gosh that makes me sound like a dick!) cept for certain pedals ya know??

most music stores where i live and in general go for the money which is beginners and large amounts of sales in small things for beginners (it appears) it's rare that a store anywhere carries really high-end stuff in good quantities...

i mean to say i don't need a mg marshall 1x8 combo... just saying

point is i only play 8,

alfred

forever detuned
Reaction score
if you have the motivation of playing on an ERG, so you already are in the best condition to learn to it.

Playing 7str on 8str is like Playing 6str on a 7str,

so playing 6str on a 8st is the second step. This is just on string away :)

Coalesce42

Reaction score
I would like to add that the 8 string has progressed my playing immensely fast. I have been playing for 15 years and as soon as I got an 8 things made sense I had never before considered. It feels so much more natural to have an 8 string. :idea:

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
I would like to add that the 8 string has progressed my playing immensely fast. I have been playing for 15 years and as soon as I got an 8 things made sense I had never before considered. It feels so much more natural to have an 8 string. :idea:

What kind do you have?

ShreddingDragon

Silence the discord
Reaction score
I'm kinda mixed over to both sides...I generally like to "have the right tool for the job", so if the gig/song in question doesn't need 7 or 8 strings, I only use 6. Unless one of the 7's or 8's has a sound superior to the currently available 6, that is. :) And sometimes, pointlessly using 8 instead of 6 is just badass. :cool:

A little problem with using only 7 or 8 is that in my school, my guitar teacher kinda scorns anything that isn't "regular". It's all pretentious, "why do you need that", etc. And I can't stand being at classes if my teacher constantly makes witty comments about my instrument... :noplease:

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
A little problem with using only 7 or 8 is that in my school, my guitar teacher kinda scorns anything that isn't "regular". It's all pretentious, "why do you need that", etc. And I can't stand being at classes if my teacher constantly makes witty comments about my instrument... :noplease:

Closed-mindedness is a terrible trait for a music teacher. He better be damn good at teaching you or else I'd be out of there.

Coalesce42

Reaction score
:

Wow to me it seems more strings is more variety therefor any self-respecting musician should respect the 8 string.

Those people just do not understand and cannot see past the stereotypes that Nu Metal brought on us. I imagine bards used to make fun of Lute players. Haha he has 900 strings what a doosh!

itscurbe

Reaction score
personally, I couldn't live without my 6 string. Over the years I have developed my own personal style on a 6 string, which I feel that I would lose if I played nothing but 8 string.

welsh_7stinger

7=best number
Reaction score
i play 6s and 7s atm and getting a 8, i play simlar music (vai, satch, etc) before i had my 6 str for standerd i used my 7 and it was ok, no diffrence nothing. i still play 6 str songs on my 7 str andd it feels fine.

you could also think of it as if you get a 8 str ur getting a 6 and 7 str with it 3 guitars in 1.

but as many others have siad just go with what you feel is best for you

Goatfork

Reaction score
I played an RG2228 for a good hour today, and after thinking about it like 'what if it was my only guitar?' I found that it wouldn't be too bad as long as I only played in the tuning of that guitar. If it was tuned to 8string standard, and I liked to play in C# standard as well, I'd need a guitar in C#.

Stilian

Reaction score
I had to go through the same thing, had to sell both my 6 and my 7 at the time. I checked the 8 string at the local store before buying it and it felt awkward but it was something I've expected. Won't go further into detail but I miss my 6 (and 7) big time (will be fixing this anytime soon). They just feel much different and predispose me to play different stuff. Of course that's just me and it depends what type(s) of music you're into and your own playing style. Extended range may be benefitial for developing one or cover extreme low chugg if you're after such riffage but may also be not the best choice for strumming funk fulltime. Consider those before ngd. :)
I still got an acoustic 6 which I play daily as well as the 8 and never had issues going back and forth, so yeah.. I'm more of a 'nay' on your question.

Matti_Ice

TR Guitarist
Reaction score
I have an Agile Intrepid 8 string that I used to use in my band, but I'll be honest, if you aren't utilizing the guitar to its full potential, I found it easier to go back to a 7. I kept the 8 tuned F, A, D, A, D, G, B, E but went back to an Ibanez 7 string tuned F, C, G, C, F, A, D and I prefer it. A lot less weight and neck span to cover, especially since I have small hands. Not sayin that tuning a 7 extra low will satisfy your needs, but just a suggestion.

Matti_Ice

TR Guitarist
Reaction score
I'm kinda mixed over to both sides...I generally like to "have the right tool for the job", so if the gig/song in question doesn't need 7 or 8 strings, I only use 6. Unless one of the 7's or 8's has a sound superior to the currently available 6, that is. :) And sometimes, pointlessly using 8 instead of 6 is just badass. :cool:

My sister went through the same damn thing, the teacher told her to stop bringing her 7 to class so I told her to stop going. I personally failed guitar in middle school but took a class in college. I still remember my first day of him going around tuning everyone's guitar and I was like, tune that first string to A...He said Oh my lord 7 strings?! Well, me and you will get together and I will teach you how to use that thing lol it was great. I kept thinking to myself O sir, I do know how to use this, tune it low and make it hateful

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I love my 2228 (possibly the most), but I love all my 6s and my 7 for the different tunings, specs and feels I can get from all of them in seconds by switching. If I had to choose one it'd probably be the 8, but I'd be PISSED.

saovi

Reaction score
Its possible to actually have your 8 string as your sole guitar - the question really is tone. Personally I like going between BKP custom winds and EMG808 actives. A week or two and you'll find it hard to go back to 6 imo.

')