8 string builders for $1,500 to $2,000

• Thread starter MattMorose
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not going to tell you how much but christopher woods just quoted me a rediculously low price, I thought he was kidding.

If you've got a few years to wait for it I'd say go for it. He's been 'going to finish up his backlog and have 1 or 2 month turnaround on orders' for the last two years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just belly-aching (what's new? :lol:), but there seems to be a rash of people submitting/asking-for quotes without the means or intention of actually purchasing anything, much like a certain member who used to (and still does, occasionally) frequent this forum.

As a potential luthier, a business owner myself, and an active member here... I have to say that it's getting a little ridiculous, and that's exactly the kinda thing that leads to unanswered PMs or emails, and skepticism among builders. That's also the kinda thing that leads to having to pay for quotes and also an increase on the price of deposits, all of which are put in place to make sure the buyer is "serious".

Come on guys, seriously. We've got a lot of really generous and helpful builders who serve as experts around here, and have been more than willing to be honest and forthright with their knowledge. Don't abuse it. :nono:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just belly-aching (what's new? :lol:), but there seems to be a rash of people submitting/asking-for quotes without the means or intention of actually purchasing anything, much like a certain member who used to (and still does, occasionally) frequent this forum.

As a potential luthier, a business owner myself, and an active member here... I have to say that it's getting a little ridiculous, and that's exactly the kinda thing that leads to unanswered PMs or emails, and skepticism among builders. That's also the kinda thing that leads to having to pay for quotes and also an increase on the price of deposits, all of which are put in place to make sure the buyer is "serious".

Come on guys, seriously. We've got a lot of really generous and helpful builders who serve as experts around here, and have been more than willing to be honest and forthright with their knowledge. Don't abuse it. :nono:

Hey, we agree on something :D

Seriously folks, if you don't have the funds to place an order don't waste the builder's time getting a quote... and don't get a quote thinking "Oh, I might order it in six months" as by then the price may have changed.

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
I agree with you guys, but I know I've gotten a couple quotes for guitars, I've had money ready, and I come to find out that the quote was much higher than I anticipated, I always end up feeling bad for the wasting the luthiers time.

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
Sherman is pretty much out of the question. I just got quoted $3700 for a custom 8. I just cringed when I saw that pirce tag.

Well lets break it down then, Alex. You asked me to quote a guitar exactly like Chris letchford`s guitar which is a $3400 guitar with Nordstrand pickups.

Incidently, I sell quite a few of these and people are quite happy with them.
In fact, I`ve heard the comments many times that the customer feels they have paid too little for the guitar they have received.

Now, your quote request also asked for a Lundgren in the bridge and a Q-tuner in the neck. Being that the Q-tuner is $160, and the Lundgren is $250, that is a $410 pickup upgrade.

I happen to know of several builders offering 8 strings with one piece mahogany bodies, with an oil finish, and charging $3000+ for them.

I would suggest that you do a little leg work and price out an 8 string with other builders and compare prices before you go attacking my pricing structure.:agreed:

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Well lets break it down then, Alex. You asked me to quote a guitar exactly like Chris letchford`s guitar which is a $3400 guitar with Nordstrand pickups.

Incidently, I sell quite a few of these and people are quite happy with them.
In fact, I`ve heard the comments many times that the customer feels they have paid too little for the guitar they have received.

Now, your quote request also asked for a Lundgren in the bridge and a Q-tuner in the neck. Being that the Q-tuner is $160, and the Lundgren is $250, that is a $410 pickup upgrade.

I happen to know of several builders offering 8 strings with one piece mahogany bodies, with an oil finish, and charging $3000+ for them.

I would suggest that you do a little leg work and price out an 8 string with other builders and compare prices before you go attacking my pricing structure.:agreed:
:agreed:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, the great thing about Agile is that it gives people he opportunity to get their feet wet with various instruments with less common features (8 strings, fretless solid-bodies, neck-thru 7's), without the pricetag of a full custom.

The problem, however, is that people get this distorted view on what a guitar is supposed to cost. Especially a custom. I'm sure there's a lot of guys here seeing the price of the Agile custom shop (which turns out some great stuff but is by no means a "real custom shop"), then they see something breathtaking like Chris Letchford's RG CST-like Sherman, and they think they can get it at an Agile cost. :noplease:

As somebody who does graphic/multimedia work, websites, and flash videos... I can tell you what a value the modern custom guitar is. People pay upwards of $2000 (and that's rather low) for a custom made website, and don't even get a physical item for the cost, and it's has little or no actual expense, unlike the SUBSTANTIAL price of materials in producing a custom guitar.

If anybody expects a modern, full time luthier (in this country, and most Eastern European countries, etc.)to survive off $1,500 - $2,000 per project, then they should be made to know that somebody living off those prices wouldn't even be able to afford their own products. Shit, I doubt they could even afford their tools, their workshop... maybe even their home and to feed themselves. Seriously.

FWIW, Darren had a really great post on this subject, which he linked recently, though the specific thread or URL escapes me right now.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
If anybody expects a modern, full time luthier (in this country, and most Eastern European countries, etc.)to survive off $1,500 - $2,000 per project, then they should be made to know that somebody living off those prices wouldn't even be able to afford their own products. Shit, I doubt they could even afford their tools, their workshop... maybe even their home and to feed themselves. Seriously.

Yes exactly, I live in a country which is so damn expensive that a Gibson custom sells here for 3000 - 4000 USD :nuts:

Prices are way different from USA and Europe for exemple, its totally different... :yesway:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
WELL, when Lee has you finishing enough guitars to arm a small East African nation... that's to be expected. :rofl:

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score

amen to this man. i actually got told recently that a 2k quote for a pretty spec'd out set neck superstrat 7 was too much, that, because i'm relatively new, i should be pricing between 1200 and 1500. i built the first superstrat for the guy for 1300, and i didn't make much anything off of it! it sucked, i couldn't even buy groceries for a month off what i made off that. i'd love to build someone a fully spec'd out custom on the cheap, but it just doesn't work that way, and darren's post perfectly explains why. this is my, mikes, kxk's, dan's, hufschmid's, grosman's, etc livelihood, keep that in mind when you think you're ready to order a custom. we all have bills to pay, we all have to keep ourselves fed and sheltered, and we're not gonna be able to do it on sub 2k guitars. with how many hours a builder puts into a build, even mike's prices are a friggin steal!

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Good to see this discussion out in the open. FWIW my stuff is currently starting at around US$2600 due to the appalling exchange rates right now. A few months ago the exchange rates were almost at parity which would have put that base price above what Mike quoted Alex. Incidentally, this is still 2/3 the Australian retail for high-ish end US factory made instruments, and about the street price of a JEM here :rant: Pricing is a very tricky issue for me :lol:

People need to understand just how much time it takes to do what we do. Time = money, it's as simple as that. Just an email enquiry for custom work takes a surprising amount of time to reply to.

You will find some guys starting up shop with lower prices simply to get product out there and build a reputation. You might find someone who does decent work amongst them. It is impossible to make any income from that though, so the prices will either go up very quickly or they'll disappear.

demolisher

Reaction score
I agree with the luthiers posting here. I would never argue with someone quoting me 3-5 grand for a fully specced out custom guitar, its a musical instrument . Go email a top cello or violin luthier and see what they charge(heres a hint: its the cost of your house).

Even 5-6 grand for a professionally done custom instrument doesnt sound off to me. I mean really what these people are charging for a 7 or 8 string guitar custom made is a steal if you compare it to any other stringed or bowed instrument luthiery pricing. If you don't like it then I suggest you go here Musician's Friend | Your Online Music Instrument & Pro Audio Store | Best Prices, Great Service

Grosmann

Banned
Reaction score
Hi
I can make an 8 strings guitar at 1800 $ at this specs

Body : mahogany ,american walnut ,zebrano or flame maple
Neck : neckthrought from mahogany or wenge ( 3 pcs laminate )
24 fret Dunlop 6100
fretboard wenge
side dots only
bridge ABM individual bridge
EMG 808 pcikup ( one in bridge pozitions)
Schaller straplocking
Neutrik jack
easy acces MEC ( electronic cavity cover )
Schaller tuners
easy acces to 24 fret
oil finish
time for building 2 mounths

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, the great thing about Agile is that it gives people he opportunity to get their feet wet with various instruments with less common features (8 strings, fretless solid-bodies, neck-thru 7's), without the pricetag of a full custom.

The problem, however, is that people get this distorted view on what a guitar is supposed to cost. Especially a custom. I'm sure there's a lot of guys here seeing the price of the Agile custom shop (which turns out some great stuff but is by no means a "real custom shop"), then they see something breathtaking like Chris Letchford's RG CST-like Sherman, and they think they can get it at an Agile cost. :noplease:

FWIW, Darren had a really great post on this subject, which he linked recently, though the specific thread or URL escapes me right now.

The post was here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/1349573-post26.html

I'm in complete agreement. Some people do get a distorted sense of the value of custom work. A top-notch custom guitar is worth so much more than the sum of its parts.

I know from experience that it's almost impossible to assemble a custom guitar from parts for less than $1000. By the time you've bought all the parts, electronics and hardware (all at retail prices) you'll be at or over $1000 and any final assembly you have to do yourself or pay someone a couple hundred more to assemble and set it up.

Building from scratch takes a lot of time and effort. Some people might question why an ebony fretboard is a $50 or $100 upcharge when an ebony fretboard blank is only a couple of dollars more. Ebony is a lot harder to work with, and if you're not careful (and even sometimes if you ARE careful) it can split or chip and you've ruined a board and you have to start over.

Stainless steel frets are another example... The fretwire itself is more expensive, but they also take a lot more time and effort to level and dress, and they eat through files much faster than normal fretwire. The cost of replacing those tools is built into the profit margin. The luthier can't be expected to eat the cost of his own tools.

Anyway, the whole point of getting the Agile Intrepid made was exactly that... give people an opportunity to try out an 8 at an affordable price, which would whet people's appetites for a more sophisticated instrument from a custom builder.

A "custom shop" Agile is likely going to cost you well north of $1000, and from what i've been reading, very few Agile "custom shop" instruments have been delivered with the specifications the customer ordered. If you're looking at getting your first 8, i'd say buy an Agile, a Schecter C-8, an LTD SC-608B or a used RG2228. All of which will come well under $1500. Then once you've figured out if an 8 is right for you, save up for a custom from a reputable builder who has experience building 8-strings and get it built right, exactly how you want it.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Mike's prices are absurdly low for what you get. Everytime I look at one of his guitars I feel like I underpaid BY FAR.

Imagine paying for a pack of Cheetos in a vending machine, and 8 bags, 2 King-Size Snickers, a large pizza, a 12 pack of Becks, a half ounce, and several strippers come tumbling down through the shoot - its good like that.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You will find some guys starting up shop with lower prices simply to get product out there and build a reputation. You might find someone who does decent work amongst them. It is impossible to make any income from that though, so the prices will either go up very quickly or they'll disappear.

:agreed: 100%

I think a lot of the people starting up and pricing stuff really low haven't really crunched the numbers or built a business plan to figure out a sustainable business model.

Some people are almost embarrassed to make a profit, which i think is absurd.

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
Imagine paying for a pack of Cheetos in a vending machine, and 8 bags, 2 King-Size Snickers, a large pizza, a 12 pack of Becks, a half ounce, and several strippers come tumbling down through the shoot - its good like that.

I must have this vending machine you speak of.:agreed::metal:

')