8 string builders for $1,500 to $2,000

• Thread starter MattMorose
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MattMorose

Reaction score
I've heard of a lot of builders like, Oni, Roter, Sherman (of course haha) and I was wondering if anyone can build a custom 8, for around that price range. I just got quoted from Agile, and I'm trying to really decide if that's what I wanna do. Mostly because they're shop is only open for only 1 more week, or maybe a few days more. If I can get a better quality build for around the same price, or maybe a little more, I might just go ahead and do that.

Or I'll just get a Carvin 7 string, I dunno.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Abhorred

Reaction score
Depending on your options and wood choices, you could likely get in on a Roter for around the top end of your price spectrum.

At the moment, if none of the production 8-strings work for you, then there's a nasty gap between the cost of a 2228 and the base price for a custom.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Email Dan (dpm/Oni guitars), see what he can quote you for what you want, and you *may* be able to get something for around that price. Definitely ask though, he's a great guy to deal with and more than willing to respond to any questions you have (no matter how silly they seem :lol:)

:) Hope you find something!

Abhorred

Reaction score
Email Dan (dpm/Oni guitars), see what he can quote you for what you want, and you *may* be able to get something for around that price. Definitely ask though, he's a great guy to deal with and more than willing to respond to any questions you have (no matter how silly they seem :lol:)

:) Hope you find something!

Shipping and customs fees would probably bump up any figure pretty heftily, though. :(

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^
:agreed:

Agile's custom prices are disproportionately cheaper than everybody else. Unless you get a helluva deal, there's no comparison. Also, I don't know if you (OP) caught a recent thread, but there's unlimited testimonials about the quality and/or "no-questions-asked" return/compensation deal at Rondo.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
You might want to first explore production 8's or possibly Agile's customshop before you drop serious coin on a bigger customshop. The reason why I say this, is because you will want to learn things that you like or dislike about 8's before you bite the bigger bullet. 8+ string instruments are truly different animals, and you can string them lots of different ways, which will directly impact the way you will want your dream one built. (Scale, materials, hardware, pickups, tuning preference) - all these things come to mind now that I have owned a few 8's.

Sroth Saraiel

BC Rich 7 Strings :)
Reaction score
Man I can't even think a custom 8 string could cost less than $2500, actually I called bc rich for an 8 string beast, they told me the project could cost more than $6000 and be ready in about 10 to 12 months!!!??, and called moser custom shop and Neal told me $4000 and would take some time arround 6 months!

I didn't even called any other company... fortunatelly Schecter Hellraiser C-8 came, even that it is 26.5" scale (yeap sucks)... it's set neck, fancy and just $899, so come on? its pretty fair to me... and sorry but Ibanez is just not for me... besides $1599 mmm, no.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Man I can't even think a custom 8 string could cost less than $2500, actually I called bc rich for an 8 string beast, they told me the project could cost more than $6000 and be ready in about 10 to 12 months!!!??, and called moser custom shop and Neal told me $4000 and would take some time arround 6 months!

You are exactly right, if you want the goods, you are going to be in the 3k+ neighborhood, and that is being very conservative.

ricez

Contributor
Reaction score
Check out Chris Stambaugh at Stambaugh Musical Designs...Welcome. The last two 8's he built me were in the $1500-$2000 range. Both are bolt-ons. Obviously, personal specs will have an effect on the end price. Wait time is about 1 year, but it is definitely worth it.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
i could build one in that price range, depending on what specifically your looking for of course.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dunno... no offense to Matt or any of the four star luthiers in this thread, but I'd be wary of taking up a project like this. :2c:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^
FWIW, it's not considered good form to post custom quotes "out in the open" like that. That aside, there's nothing unreasonable about that price considering what a lot of high end companies charge for production models of guitars, with significantly more common features then an 8 string.

demolisher

Reaction score
I'm not going to tell you how much but christopher woods just quoted me a rediculously low price, I thought he was kidding.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
^
FWIW, it's not considered good form to post custom quotes "out in the open" like that. That aside, there's nothing unreasonable about that price considering what a lot of high end companies charge for production models of guitars, with significantly more common features then an 8 string.

:agreed: thats a very reasonable price, especially considering mike's amazingly awesome work.

')