8-string. ergonomic. headless. fanned fret. phase 1::design

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
The wood has arrived, looks exactly as on the picture.

More pictures follow as soon as I start to work on this wood.

In the meantime I'm still working on the templates for the neck. I'm crating a full scale template also, not only the neck part. This allows me to set the single bridges in position very exactly without touching my precious wood. It seems that next week I have finally some time for some bigger steps on this guitar.

Since I've started preparing this build I'm thinking about a absolutly simplyfied string retaining system that looks cool yet ist easy to create.

This is what I got so far: Warning! This is only a quick and dirty test with some waste parts which I found in my shop. The real thing will look more sophisticated. But you get the idea, I think.

dsc00662bl.jpg

dsc00663mh.jpg

Two simple srews, pins or whatever you want. The string is looped around the scrwes in an 8-shape. 2 turns are enough to hold the strings. I was really impressed by the sustain during the test.

On the second picture you can see a little hole. That was drilled to hide the sharp end of a cutted string. That leaves some grip on the string to detach it and use it again.

We will see how this system wil be integrated in the build...

Stay tuned!

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
When I started to work on the alder body my cheap router died :rolleyes:. I've ordered a new router already, this time I spend a bit more money for quality.

Without a working router I started some more silent work. The fretboard was measured, marked and the frets were cut...

Stay tuned!

capone1

ss.org-erererererer
Reaction score
I'm usually not a fan of headless guitars but ever since Chris Letchford's I'm kinda in love.

SOOOOOO anyway I'm excited for more pics

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
Before I start sanding the Fretboard I have some ideas:

This is how you sand a fretboard, using a sanding jig with a sanding block. Please note the centered fretboard:
fbjig1.jpg

What happens if one edge of the fretboard is aligned parallel to the jig like this:
fbjig2.jpg

And what if I use a shim:
fbjig3.jpg

Could this be a possibility to create some kind of "semi-compound radius"
I'd like to achieve a more even string high on the bridge. That design makes the low edge of the fretboard is a bit thinner then the high edge. Does it m ake any sense?

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
GAH, tiped a long ass answer, and I.E. crashed.

I'll make it brief this time. I don't recomend doing it like this:
fbjig2.jpg

Just looking at the center line, the bridge side will end up taller than the nut side. Then on the bass side, the bridge side will be lower than the nut, AND on the treble side it will all be level. This will fuck your action up really bad.

About this one:
fbjig3.jpg

I'm sure it's done regularly. You still end up with the same radius as the block, but you can make one side of the board taller. You could for example do it the other way around (sand more on the higher strings) which could make it quite more comfortable for your wrist.

oh, forgot to add IMO.

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
Hi,

phase 2 :: woodworking has started after finishing the templates. Wasn't there a way to edit my thread title...?

The body is cut out roughly. I left some material that makes it easy to fix the routing template for the neck pocket. Forgot to take some pix...

For the neck I used the template to drill two small holes. Using some small wooden pins I can attach the fretboard to the neck in a fixed position an remove it.
dsc00726m.jpg

Then I set the position for the string retainig pins / screws on the fretboard.
dsc00728p.jpg

All the marking is done with a razor blade knive. Using some chalk it becomes visible.
dsc00729yh.jpg

After the drilling I can now align the trussrods between the holes on the head end of the neck
dsc00732b.jpg

Routing the trussrod canal took me a while but ist done now with some small but (at the end) invisible mistakes. The trussrods are installe with a bit of silicone. Hope that prevents it from flapping inside the neck in the future.
dsc00733.jpg

Thats all for today.
Next steps:
- fretboard inlays / sidedots of aluminium
- glueing the fretboard
- sanding the fretboard radius (going the standatd way, dropping my previous idea)
- fretting the frets
- installing the guitar bridges, testing the mulstiscale of correct intonation

later:
- shaping, finishing
- pickups, electrics,...

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
progress :: aluminium inlays are glued, fretboard radius is sanded

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
Neck and fretboard are glued. Neck shaping is done so far. Now it's time to say goodbye: rest in pieces!
dsc00762qo.jpg

Using a single bridge tuner from the old guitar I've done a quick intonation test. Successs!
dsc00763jt.jpg

The simple string retainer works fine:
dsc00764l.jpg

No damage on the string after removing. This is a .074 string tuned to low E on a 80cm / 31,5" scale. Sounds promising!
dsc00765pj.jpg

Just a quick shot in the sun. Front and backside:
dsc00767.jpg

dsc00768k.jpg

Some light metal work out of massive aluminium:
( d s = my initials )
dsc00771jy.jpg

Integrated:
dsc00774yy.jpg

dsc00776ea.jpg

Weight of the body and the neck in this stage: 3,4 Kg.

Stay tuned :shred:

Qweklain

Reaction score
I just came across this and looks awesome!! Not sure I like that "tuning 2x peg" system you got going there, but if it works, that is all that matters!!

I can't wait to see the final result!

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
Just a quick idea of the 3 pieces pickguard:

The position of the controls is only a sketch.

I realy like the part of shaping the body. But i hate the sanding...

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
I had the chance to chrome-plate my d.i.y. string retainers. They are made out of normal M3 screws.

some filing:
dsc00806ll.jpg

after chrome-plating:
dsc00808u.jpg

The neck is fretted now and the string retainers are mounted. I had some issues with the splintering ebony but most of it is fixed now with CA and ebony sanding dust. No pics of that mess...

At the moment the neck and the body got the first layer of primer. Looks like painting at the weekend....

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
The neck is fretted now and the string retainers are mounted. I had some issues with the splintering ebony but most of it is fixed now with CA and ebony sanding dust. No pics of that mess...

Was it difficult seating the frets against the radius with the fan? I had heard that it could be problematic and I'm interested to hear your experience with it.

Thanks.

')