8-string. ergonomic. headless. fanned fret. phase 1::design

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
That's one crazy guitar and I think it's great that you chose to make single coils, I don't think I've ever heard single coils on an 8 string. Are you going to do soundfiles or, better yet, a video when you're done?

Thank you. Video and soundfiles are planed, but the video will take some time. A friend bought a 8-string Agile recentliy. Hope I can compare those guitars on the same amp / setup. And maybe he wrotes his own review of my guitar for a second opinion.

Massive props on the electronics, still kills me that I haven't done much of any of this stuff in school and I'm halfway done -.-

Learning to solder is much easier then learing to play the guitar. Just get a 15W soldering iron, flux and tin and get started. Practice to create clean solder joints and then make some usefull stuff. My first steps on guitar electronics (without any soldering lessens before) was a C-switch, an impedance converter (buffer) and a bass tone control. There is plenty of stuff to find in the www...

I'm very impressed with this build, even though I had seen your previous axe. Stunning work man.

Thank you. The same is for your work.

@all: Your encouraging comments are a very motivating for me. Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
This build thread is now a spaceship drafting board.

RubenBernges

Reaction score
Thank you. Video and soundfiles are planed, but the video will take some time. A friend bought a 8-string Agile recentliy. Hope I can compare those guitars on the same amp / setup. And maybe he wrotes his own review of my guitar for a second opinion.

Well, depending on where exactly in Germany you live we could meet up, 'cause I'd be really interested to try a fan fretted instrument. My custom 8 string would most likely be ready by then, so I could bring that for comparison, too.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Learning to solder is much easier then learing to play the guitar. Just get a 15W soldering iron, flux and tin and get started. Practice to create clean solder joints and then make some usefull stuff. My first steps on guitar electronics (without any soldering lessens before) was a C-switch, an impedance converter (buffer) and a bass tone control. There is plenty of stuff to find in the www...
Yeah this is why I'm gonna try to do all soldering and electronics myself in my build(s) and any mods I do in the future.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
dsc00829sc.jpg
Those pups look very professional.

flo

Reaction score
Wow! I was very impressed by your pickups, at least they look great, and I hope that they'll sound great as well :)

The circuit looks very interesting, always cool to see when people put some thought into this, I bet you'll get a very versatile sound! Can't wait for the video :)

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
At this very moment I'm more excited about this build than my own. Then again, I can't really do anything on my build because it's raining like it's the end of the world.

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
Hi folks, do you remember this:

... As you see on the next picture I use some small trimmers that allow me to set 3 preset sounds, and on the 4th position of the switch the normal pots are enabled.
dsc01639zz.jpg

I've set 2 of the 3 presets for nice clean & crunchy tones. The 3rd should be used for high gain / djenty tones. I have no experiences with this kind of sound ad need your help. So my question is:

How should a bridge humbucker sound CLEAN ! to use it for high gain?

Any youtube clip and sound sample would help, I only need some thing to start with...

Suggestions for setting for my BOSS ME-25 would be also appreciated.

')