8 String Fanned Fret

• Thread starter Cool711
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you only want that for high A? What if I wanted an 8 with F#BEADGBE?
Fanned frets would be extremely helpful for that tuning as well, but I'd highly recommend going with longer scales, say, 25.5" for the high E and 28" or even 30" for the low F#.

I play a 7 with a 32" - 36" fan and I only tune it down to G#, but I absolutely love the clear tone I get with such long scales.

And I personally find fanned-frets to be easier than regular straight frets - just look at the way your fingers fan apart on your hand when you spread them - the frets match this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cool711

Reaction score
That KxK is frickin awesome.
I'm gonna contact them as well and see what they say about this.
I love their attitude.

Diatenshi

Need a Tampa Band.
Reaction score
Fanned frets would be extremely helpful for that tuning as well, but I'd highly recommend going with longer scales, say, 25.5" for the high E and 28" or even 30" for the low F#.

I play a 7 with a 32" - 36" fan and I only tune it down to G#, but I absolutely love the clear tone I get with such long scales.

And I personally find fanned-frets to be easier than regular straight frets - just look at the way your fingers fan apart on your hand when you spread them - the frets match this.

I am not sure what exactly the 28" or 30" scale is, I suppose I have some more learning to do haha. is it the distance between the frets? or the length of the actual neck?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is the mockup of what the PAS guy drew.
Hopefully something like this, cause I thought it was perfect.
8.jpg

That mockup looks awesome, but it also looks faiirly, well, optimistic.

Are those pickups scaled correctly? There's really not much space between a 28-fret fan and the bridge, and he's got it drawn with the pickups JUST fitting, drawn in basically touching. If the EMG's are any wider than he has them drawn as, that may not work. Additionally, I have a hard time believing that a 6-string pickup, installed on an angle, could cover 8 strings, even on a fanned neck.

It's an attractive mockup, but it looks more like a concept sketch than a mathematically sound prototype.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
That mockup looks awesome, but it also looks faiirly, well, optimistic.

Are those pickups scaled correctly? There's really not much space between a 28-fret fan and the bridge, and he's got it drawn with the pickups JUST fitting, drawn in basically touching. If the EMG's are any wider than he has them drawn as, that may not work. Additionally, I have a hard time believing that a 6-string pickup, installed on an angle, could cover 8 strings, even on a fanned neck.

It's an attractive mockup, but it looks more like a concept sketch than a mathematically sound prototype.

Also, no trem has that much adjustable range on the saddles, and you'd have to machine yuor own nut if you wanted it like in the drawing.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
He's talking about getting a custom Kahler bridge done up though, and the guy at Kahler already said he could make one.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Kahler trem (They said they can do a one off for the fanned fret)
Sorry to sound demanding, but you have to post as much details as you have about this vibrato bridge:
  • Cost
  • Leadtime
  • What range of bridge angles it will support
  • etc.

Ray

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd also, building off Ken's question, be a little worriied about string-to-string performance with the saddles falling at such widely different points relative to the fulcrum - I'd think it'd be difficult to get even relatively even string-to-string performance with differences like that.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd also, building off Ken's question, be a little worriied about string-to-string performance with the saddles falling at such widely different points relative to the fulcrum - I'd think it'd be difficult to get even relatively even string-to-string performance with differences like that.
:agreed: I'd say that a fulcrum design wouldn't work at all for the angled bridge needed for multi-scale designs. The bridge saddles must be separate and ahead of the fulcrum as in the Kahler & Steinberger cam designs.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure what exactly the 28" or 30" scale is, I suppose I have some more learning to do haha. is it the distance between the frets? or the length of the actual neck?
Scale length is the distance from nut to bridge - the vibrating length of the strings on any guitar.

To be more exact, it's 2x the length of string between the nut and the 12th fret - measuring this way avoids the slight compensations made at the bridge saddles for proper intonation of each string.

Cool711

Reaction score
To Drew: The pickups are 8 string pickups, not 6, so they will cover the distance.
However, I agree that it looks optimistic.
Everyone I've spoken to says at 28 frets, 2 pickups are the max.
I too think the pickups are not to scale.

As for the bridge question, I've been running around to everyone I can find in order to find out the dynamics of the bridge etc.
The bridge here is a mock up as well, but I spoke to Conklin and he said that he would strongly advise against it, although he has built one once.
He said it was a real pain to get the points right.

I'm waiting on another response to Kahler to verify that they know what they're getting themselves into.

As for the nut, yeah, that will be custom machined too.
That's my least worry right now.

zea7

Reaction score
Hey man, I have a cool news for you. Kahler actually have them IN STOCK !!!! IN GOLD, CHROME, and BLACK !!!! $399 each ! + the * STRING LOCKING NUTS !!!! $ 65.00 each!!!!!

Not bad hur ? I wil be ordering my next week. Also this June the trem for 9 and 10 string will be up for SELL too.

This summer will be a great time for whoever having some crazy projects (I have 3 projects to be done). I hv just ordered EMG 607 , 817 (x2) and 2 of the 808s today. Similar to yours, but mine will be 27 frets fanned frets. 25.5-27 " (using Lundgren M8 on this one). Will post up some pics when its done. :hbang:

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Hey man, I have a cool news for you. Kahler actually have them IN STOCK !!!! IN GOLD, CHROME, and BLACK !!!! $399 each ! + the * STRING LOCKING NUTS !!!! $ 65.00 each!!!!!

Not bad hur ? I wil be ordering my next week. Also this June the trem for 9 and 10 string will be up for SELL too.

This summer will be a great time for whoever having some crazy projects (I have 3 projects to be done). I hv just ordered EMG 607 , 817 (x2) and 2 of the 808s today. Similar to yours, but mine will be 27 frets fanned frets. 25.5-27 " (using Lundgren M8 on this one). Will post up some pics when its done. :hbang:

We've heard about the khaler 8 before, but it's for guitars without multi-scale designs.

And I would think they have them for sale, not too many places put stuff up for sell. ;)

zea7

Reaction score
They are for the fanned frets model too (as refered from Pete at Kahler).

The regular ones are selling for $250 I think ? Not so sure.

Cool711

Reaction score
On their site it says the regular 8 string bridge for $409.
Doesn't say anything about the fanned fret model.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score

Wow! Sounds too good to be true. I hope you're right and Kahler comes through with all the fanned-fret & 9/10 string models. They could really corner the market on vibrato units for extended range guitars. :shred:

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow! Sounds too good to be true. I hope you're right and Kahler comes through with all the fanned-fret & 9/10 string models. They could really corner the market on vibrato units for extended range guitars. :shred:

10 string trem? Here are customers 1 & 2! LOL

Mike Sherman is going to be BUSY!!!! :hbang:

zea7

Reaction score
I'm sure that it would be cool to have some 9 strings 10 strings guitars (with trem). But, If one string snapped out on you while playing life. Bro.... thats a big deal. hahaha~!!!

But I'm going for it anyway. :hbang:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure that it would be cool to have some 9 strings 10 strings guitars (with trem). But, If one string snapped out on you while playing life. Bro.... thats a big deal. hahaha~!!!

But I'm going for it anyway. :hbang:
Well I'd say if you break a string on a 9 or 10 then you've still got 8 or 9 strings left! :shred:

Better than breaking a string on a 6 :agreed:

')