8 string floating tremolos...???

• Thread starter JoshuaLogan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is the Kahler one the only one that exists?

I'm kinda interested in trying out 8 strings, but having a floating trem is more important to me than an 8th string, so a fixed bridge 8 is not an option.

I really wish there was an 8 string OFR, but there isn't.... so, what else is out there?

EDIT: Also, are there any reviews for the Kahler 7228 hybrid tremolo around? How is it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
I've only heard about Kahler.

Btw, do you happen to know the difference between the 7228 and the 2228? They look the same to me, but apparently they're different.

jrf8

Banned
Reaction score
do they even make the kahler floating trem for the 8 string? i thought they only made the flat mount trem 8 and the fanned 8 bridge

I've only heard about Kahler.

Btw, do you happen to know the difference between the 7228 and the 2228? They look the same to me, but apparently they're different.
the difference is probablly the metal they use on the two, like brass on brass or brass on steel

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
Ah, that could be it.

And no, they don't make the floating trem, just the two you mentioned.

JimboTheHobo

Reaction score
i saw that ETS makes some Fender style trem(2 studs),
but, yeah, this is not what you(and i) are looking for...:flame:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I think there's a terminology issue here.

All Kahler trems are floating, meaning they can pull up as well as push down and they don't have a zero position but float freely.

If you're thinking of floating as meaning the trem unit is balanced by two knife-edges against two stud posts then no, current model Kahlers don't use that design.

Sponge

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
The Kahler bridge for the 8 string is also optional for trem. It was designed so that with a simple allan key turn, the player can have fixed or floating mode.

jrf8

Banned
Reaction score
I think there's a terminology issue here.

All Kahler trems are floating, meaning they can pull up as well as push down and they don't have a zero position but float freely.

If you're thinking of floating as meaning the trem unit is balanced by two knife-edges against two stud posts then no, current model Kahlers don't use that design.

a floating trem would be a "fulcrum" like floyds, kahlers are considered "FLAT MOUNT" trems. no terminology needed, kahlers do not float, they mount to the body

noodleplugerine

Reaction score
Regarding model numbers.

2--- = Custom shop built.
7--- = USA Factory built.

I've also seen a custom 8 string Ibanez with what looked like an 8 string ZR trem, but I assume that's a prototype.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. That makes a whole lotta sense.

Wolfv11

Reaction score
Rusty and Munky have an 8 with knife edge trems
Rusty
8.jpg

Munky
rg8-06.jpg

Although getting your hands on something like this would not be an easy task.

Reaction score
Rusty
8.jpg

Munky
rg8-06.jpg

Yeah, I saw rusty cooley had one on an 8 string... custom made for them, I guess.

I guess a trem wouldn't be as useful on an 8 anyways though with all the extra string tension... fixed bridge guitars just seem incomplete to me...

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
kahlers are amazing bridges. i've got 2 of them (on 6 stringers) and the custom 7 i'm still planning in my head will most certainly have a kahler.
i know some people prefer floyds, but after a few years of owning both i've definitely come to prefer kahler.

redbeard has a kahler 8 on that beautiful rico jr jekyll 8 string and is loving it.

as someone else said above, the kahler isn't a "floating" bridge, but that's just a matter of semantics. the point is that it is a full tremolo that you can pull up and dive down with and with just as much range as a floyd--but it a different response than a floyd (smoother and more linear than a floyd).

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
a floating trem would be a "fulcrum" like floyds, kahlers are considered "FLAT MOUNT" trems. no terminology needed, kahlers do not float, they mount to the body

I can certainly understand how the popularity of fulcrum designs has come to be understood as the entire meaning of the "floating" term, but that's not how "floating" was originally intended nor how it is currently used in the industry.

The original Floating Tremolo by Leo Fender was one of these:
Trem.jpg

which is a flat mount design with the string moving mechanism located separately from the bridge saddles which don't move. The "floating" aspect refers to the lack of stopping point or zero point for the bar which floats freely and can be pulled up and pushed down. This design has more in common with a Kahler than with a Floyd.

Kahler also refers to their bridges as floating:
Kahler site said:
The Kahler® USA Hybrid™ 7300 flat mount series locking/floating tremolo system is designed to drop onto any flat top guitar...

Most fulcrum trems are floating in their function, but not all - a good example is the Floyd on EVH's Ernie Ball Music Man signature models which are dive-only.

And of course with a Tremol-No any fulcrum trem can be switched between floating, dive-only, and fixed modes.
Tremol-No site said:
Q- What the heck is the "Deep-C™"?
A- The Deep-C™ is an accessory that comes with every Tremol-No™ unit. When locked in place, the Deep-C™ allows full floating tremolos to function as 'dive-only' tremolos. Just like the Tremol-No™, it installs with no modifications to the guitar, and can be slipped on in under a minute. For example, your fully floating trem can now be full floating, or 'dive-only', or hardtail.

SplinteredSoul

7 String FTW
Reaction score
Rusty
8.jpg

Munky
rg8-06.jpg

You know, I've been looking at this with envy for months now, wondering why Floyd Rose won't release this on the market, until it just occured to me today that this is in fact unbranded. It's not Floyd Rose or Kahler, or Ibanez, which leads me to believe it's probably Chinese made. I've bought replicas from China before, for a couple of pre-teenaged students that wished they could afford Vai's Jem, and I'm wondering if someone over there could actually knock an 8 string floyd clone up for me. Although if they're anything like the bridges on those kids Guitars, I'd rather not! lol

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You know, I've been looking at this with envy for months now, wondering why Floyd Rose won't release this on the market, until it just occured to me today that this is in fact unbranded. It's not Floyd Rose or Kahler, or Ibanez, which leads me to believe it's probably Chinese made. I've bought replicas from China before, for a couple of pre-teenaged students that wished they could afford Vai's Jem, and I'm wondering if someone over there could actually knock an 8 string floyd clone up for me. Although if they're anything like the bridges on those kids Guitars, I'd rather not! lol

Please don't bump two year old threads like this. :)

As for that trem, it's a Japanese made TRS/Takeuchi unit, not a Chinese piece of shit. This guitar and trem have been discussed to death over the last three or four years it has existed.

SplinteredSoul

7 String FTW
Reaction score
Please don't bump two year old threads like this. :)

As for that trem, it's a Japanese made TRS/Takeuchi unit, not a Chinese piece of shit. This guitar and trem have been discussed to death over the last three or four years it has existed.

I didn't bump anything, I simply replied to a thread on the forum, which is what it's there for?

myconfidenceinu

Reaction score
you could probably find a cheap 8 string floyd clone somewhere. I think Floyd Rose will soon release their own 8 string floyd anyway.

')