8-string Floyd Rose user thread

• Thread starter sevenstringj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Discussion, usage, setup, tips, tricks, issues, remedies... :hbang:

I expect it to be pretty desolate for now, since they only recently started making it production. But I'm sure it'll catch on. Really surprised Jackson didn't slap one on one of their new 8s. :squint: But that's beef, and for another thread. :D

A couple issues I've noticed. The middle 2 saddles are the tallest, the 2 on either side adjacent are just barely shorter, while the four on either end are significantly shorter. Consequently, the 2nd and 7th strings were closer to the fretboard than the rest. I got shims from Axcessories and placed one under the 2nd and 7th saddles. That helped.

Another thing was the 8th saddle. The Circle K .076 fit, but the results were finicky. First time around it was fine. Second time around it had a weird ring/buzz to it that wasn't fret buzz or hardware rattle. I unclamped it, clipped the end, used a pare of needle-nose pliers to pre-bend the end, reinserted it and it was fine. So maybe it's a good idea to bend the large strings first, as opposed to inserting them straight in, clamping them and then bending them down?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
tumblr_ltvea0CFOs1qj73e2o1_r1_400.gif

Another thing I noticed: Fluttering is almost non-existent. Makes sense with the extra tension. I'm currently using 9.5-76. I have an 8-70 set on order. Using Ishan's tension calculator, I should be able to ditch a spring in the back, and the overall lower tension--about 60lbs less altogether :eek:--should help flutters. Should be interesting getting reacquainted with thinner strings.

stuglue

Reaction score
I have four springs in my 7 string, it can just about flutter but its damn hard work to get it to do it.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I might have gotten one if Schecter didn't put it on a 28" scale guitar.

I'm too lazy to build or mod a guitar for one, so I'll be waiting to get one until LTD or someone else puts one on a 25.5" 8.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
OP, what guitar did you put it in? I'm curious to know if you get it to flutter with less tension. I really want one, but I'll either have to get someone to route out my Intrepid or embark on yet another build. (Or, with a good degree of luck, maybe Carvin will start making it an option.)

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
OP, what guitar did you put it in? I'm curious to know if you get it to flutter with less tension. I really want one, but I'll either have to get someone to route out my Intrepid or embark on yet another build. (Or, with a good degree of luck, maybe Carvin will start making it an option.)

I got the Schecter Hellraiser C-8 FR.

I'll definitely report back on flutter when I put the lighter strings on. Circle K ships Priority, so hopefully by the end of the week.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No 8 and obviously no 8-string floyd here, but since we're talking about trem stiffness, I figured I'd chime in.

When I got the "Stone" 7420, I think there were .010 or .011s on there, plus 4 springs in the back. Fucker felt like a fixed bridge. :lol: A set of 8s and down to 3 springs (in a /|\ pattern) fixed that.

Is the block any wider than a 7 or 6? If it is, I'd imagine the extra distance between the edge of the block to the claw should provide enough tension to offset the extra string if you use lighter strings?

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Y'all need to do more curls. :lol: I got 4 springs on now and it's fine. It's not like a 6-string with 9s of course, but it's not too stiff.

The block is wide by the plate, but narrows towards the springs, so the back cavity is about the same size as with the 6-string version. I always have the springs straight. Doesn't having 2 springs angled increase the tension? You need to have less distance between the claw and the block when 2 springs are angled, right?

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
For intonation and tuning up, no worse than the 6-string version. I did shim 2 saddles. That might not be necessary depending on the guitar.

So, excruciating? :lol:

Sorry, Floyds and I have a long, violent history....and the idea of an 8 saddle one makes me want to take up the saxophone just to avoid it. :nuts:

troyguitar

Reaction score
I played the Schecter in GC and the trem was fine despite the high tension. The whole guitar actually felt really good.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doesn't having 2 springs angled increase the tension? You need to have less distance between the claw and the block when 2 springs are angled, right?

Right. I meant instead of 4 springs straight vs 3 springs straight, I'd do 3 springs with the outer two on an angle. The angled springs will partially compensate for the missing spring but will still have more "give" than if you had 4 in there.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Jesus :/ my 7 string floyd rose is stiff as all hell, I don't even want to know what an 8 feels like.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
I'll definitely report back on flutter when I put the lighter strings on. Circle K ships Priority, so hopefully by the end of the week.

Fuckin HATE when I spend money and then realize I didn't have to. So the strings arrived and I thought, Why don't I just tune down a half step? That should lighten the tension enough to remove a spring in the back. DUHRRRR! :wallbash:

Well, that didn't help much anyway. :(

The REAL culprit was the arm. I tried the arm from my Jackson 6-string OFR which had less play in it and noticed more flutter. The FR 1000 arm has a plastic spacer while the OFR arm has a metal pin and metal washer. I'd probably have to replace the arm housing too to get the best fit.

But it still wasn't nearly as good as on my Jackson. With my Jackson, I feel the vibration through the whole guitar. The Schecter seems deader. I think it has to do with the wood quality and construction. Quartersawn maple neck-thru alder with ebony fretboard vs all mahogany set neck with rosewood fretboard. Mahogany is heavy but more porous than alder and maple, right?

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Another important thing I overlooked!

One of the lock nut screws is longer than the other 3. It's meant for the 2 bottom strings. I didn't realize that, so when I changed the stock strings to Circle Ks I had a hard time clamping down on 2 of the plain strings.

My guitar was a floor model; I wonder if an unopened one fresh from the factory comes with instructions.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Another anti-flutter culprit (I'm guessing): turns out the sustain block is zinc, and they said that none of their current brass or tungsten blocks are compatible.

1345249596_son.gif

They're currently tooling to make 8-string brass and tungsten blocks. IMHO, they should've kept the same screw hole spacing. Sounds like more work and $$ than necessary.

ahull123

Reaction score
I noticed the trem block was a little tall on mine?, I can't put a cover plate over it, I am going to make a new block, and the saddle saddles on the the 4th and 5th strings not having a radius, other than that, everything is good. it is not stiff at all, no flutter and easy to use.