8 String Floyd Rose

BrenMari

Reaction score
Hello:wavey: I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but I thought it was relevant... (Please excuse this as I've just recently joined...)

Anyway, has anyone had any experiences with tuning an 8 String guitar with a Floyd Rose on it? Is it different from tuning a 6 String with a Floyd? Is there a different way to tune it -or- how would/did you do it? I'm planning to go half-step down.

I bought a Schecter C8FR Hellraiser about two days ago and now it's starting to go outta tune. I know you have to loosen the locking nut and then set the fine tuners in the middle but I dunno if you start with the low E and work your way down or start at the F# and then proceed down. If there is a thread or post that has already been made and/or relates to this, please link it as it would be very, very helpful.

So, thanks guys :hbang:

P.S.

If you need specs, just tell me :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ra1der2

Reaction score
On any floyd style trem setup I usually make sure the fine tuners are set in the middle of their adjustment range, then I tune all strings up to within a half step down from standard tuning (or whatever tuning you want to be in), then lock the nut and tune up with the fine tuners.

I use 12th fret harmonics and usually start high E then work down to the low end then go back to high E,G,B just to double check before locking down and doing final tune up.

BrenMari

Reaction score
I should also point out, I watched Tone King's video on drop tuning and tuning a Floyd Rose guitar. His method has me even more confused than before. If I had a 6 String with a Floyd, no problem. But seeing I have an 8 String with a Floyd, I have no idea what to do with the tuning order of strings.

I tried tuning it Standard and now the bridge is slightly off. But then that means I'd have to loosen/tighten it again and retune the guitar and fine tune it...

So how would you do this on an 8?

Funz

Reaction score
1=High E
8=Low F# (or what ever you want to tune to)
Get everything close first and then...
1 2 12 123 1234 12345 123456 1234567 12345678
In other words tune the first string, then the second, then the first and the second, adding another string every time.
Seems logical to me, but I don't own an 8 with a FR.

Dethyr

Banned
Reaction score
This is my tolerance level for Floyd rose trems...

PullingHairOut.jpeg

Here's where it would be with an 8 string floyd rose...

guitar-smash.jpg

(yes I realize that's a fixed bridge guitar but you get the point... )

BrenMari

Reaction score
This is my tolerance level for Floyd rose trems...

PullingHairOut.jpeg

Here's where it would be with an 8 string floyd rose...

guitar-smash.jpg

(yes I realize that's a fixed bridge guitar but you get the point... )

That last picture was me until I somehow managed to have it in tune after an hour and a half. Then realised the bridge wasn't flush... :mad:

Broken_Hyren

Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert on this - but couldn't you just keep adjusting it, (screws in back and tuning adjustments string by string)

As a sorta just spontaneous thing until you get it right? I mean, you're probably going to end up pretty close to ideal and then minor adjustments from your intuitive point should bring you closer.

I've felt that i could get pretty close without having to calculate ANYTHING with my FR, but maybe other people would feel differently (a 6)

Dethyr

Banned
Reaction score
So much trouble just to be able to go weeeeooooooweeeeeeoooooo

hehehe

BrenMari

Reaction score
This is all I have been doing. I've been getting the tuning I want right, but always having the bridge be a little bit off centre. Slowly getting there... :squint:

ra1der2

Reaction score
The best thing you can do is grab a medium set of 7 string strings like 9-56 and keep the 74 for F#, then pop one of the 5 trem springs off so you're down to 4 springs. Replace those strings except the F#.

I went further and replace all springs because I like to balance my string tension with spring tension. Doing this I have mine staying in tune without even using the locking nut, but it took me hours to do.

Reaction score
One of my sevens has a Floyd. Put new strings, re-intonated, took off the bridge to give it a proper cleaning. Took like an hour and a half do get it into playing order again. The process is the same as 6 string Floyds, but with 16% extra pain in the ass for a 7 and 33% extra pain in the ass for an 8.

I get everything as close as I can, but every so slightly flat. I keep my fine tuners towards the top of their range, but with some movement in both directions. Tightening the locking nut tends to sharpen the notes, especially on thicker strings. Once its locked down, finish up with the fine tune. Intonation is easiest to do without the nut locked, but all the strings on. Test it, loosen, adjust, retune, repeat.

Its not so bad if you never change tunings, or string gauge. And if you don't ever intend taking more than one string off at a time.

Although I really like having the Floyd, I bought a second 7 just for being able to change tunings. I would recommend anyones first 8 be fixed bridge, and then move onto floyds after if you've still got an itch for one.

ERGonomic

Banned
Reaction score
Got the 2228 first, then a c8 fr. while the 2228 never goes outta tune much, the c8 only downtunes just a lil. stays in tune just as good as any floyd tho. pm me if u need any tips ive tried

BrenMari

Reaction score
Got the 2228 first, then a c8 fr. while the 2228 never goes outta tune much, the c8 only downtunes just a lil. stays in tune just as good as any floyd tho. pm me if u need any tips ive tried

I will need your assistance with what you did :yesway:

')