8 string for Death Metal or Doom?

• Thread starter StormyC93
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StormyC93

Reaction score
So surely somebody with an 8 string has used it for some straight up Death or Doom. What were the results?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
This thread is awesome just found two new favorite bands >.<

pestilentdecay

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Scott Hull from Agoraphobic Nosebleed/Pig Destroyer uses an 8 string, but I'm not sure how extensively he uses the 8th string...

SP1N3SPL1TT3R

Reaction score
IMO, 8 strings are not really for death metal. DM's generally to fast and uses too much distortion, for the low register of the 8th string. Tuning to G#, is the lowest I'd ever go for playing DM, especially if I had a bass player.

StormyC93

Reaction score
Well I like the idea of a super low end in a death metal song but especially in a doom song. I want a crushingly heavy doom sound. And I love Beyond Creation and Agoraphobic Nosebleed. I've heard great things about Portal and I'm digging Archspire.

MindDusk

Reaction score
For doom metal, even extreme doom, funeral doom etc, there is no band that tune as low as a 8 string, that is for a good reason, it is true, the guitar sounds very heavy with that low tuning, but the problem is, you play both bass and guitar at the same time... The bass can't be one octave lower to cover the low frequencies, I tried myself, and I have come to the conclusion that Ab is the lowest doom tuning you should use. One more reason to not tune lower if you play doom is you need good string tension and sustain. You will not get a heaver sound just cause you tune lower and lower... I promise you that..especially not for doom..there is limits.. the heaviness you get of how the guitar and bass sound together...

For doom metal I would go with a 28.5 inch scale guitar, 060 strings and Ab tuning.
I have tried strings up to 080, they sound like a joke with power chords... especially non harmonic dissonant chords sounds like a joke, so try to not use thicker strings then you have too.. try to find the right balance..but I am telling you if you go above 060 there will be muddy as fuck.. I am sure none of the djent guys agree..but they do not play doom and long sustaining stuff etc.. I think it is 10 times harder to find the right guitar for doom metal, because for death metal the tempo is much higher and in general..and you use a lot of "high attack" sounds, and not as much sustain, so it is less demanding of what guitar/strings you use etc... that is my opinion. You can check out my guitar here, I play doom. http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/227421-my-gng-morgoth-nn7.html

I had the Ibanez 8 string first, I thought it would be perfect for doom, I just found it useful when I was jamming around and playing alone without a full band, cause you play both bass and guitar at the same time so it sounds more heavy, but with a full mix and bass, it sounds just better if you tune up the guitar..cause you need the sustain.

StormyC93

Reaction score
Well there is a Doom band around where I live that uses two bassist and I got the idea to emulate that will a 5-6 string bass and a 8 string guitar but I can understand the logic of why this wouldn't work.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
I've been playing doom, death, and grind for 18 years.

I used to play with bass strings on a baritone and tune way the fuck down to wobbly noise. Now I tune way the fuck down to wobbly noise on an 8 string.

Fuck what anyone tells you. Do that shit and make it sound gross - like death and doom should.

abandonist

8StringX

Reaction score
They don't use an 8-string, but Mortician has tuned down to G on their last couple albums and even down to E on some songs on Re-Animated Dead Flesh.

')