8 string for Death Metal or Doom?

• Thread starter StormyC93
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StormyC93

Reaction score
Well I had already decided on it but this even more so makes me want to buy an 8 string. Going to order a RG8 when I get the money and through in some BNP Warpig 8 string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
^ Do it! The Warpig 8 sounds great, my friend has it in his Strictly 7+1, AnarchyDivine88 on here if you want to talk to him about it.

StormyC93

Reaction score
^ Do it! The Warpig 8 sounds great, my friend has it in his Strictly 7+1, AnarchyDivine88 on here if you want to talk to him about it.

Yeah, I made a thread about it which he answered. I'm hoping he could make a video for it :pray:

AmbienT

User has been banned
Reaction score
This isn't strictly death metal, more tech death wankery, but it's 8 string.

Holy fuark! It's so refreshing to see some tech death stuff played on 8's as opposed to the huge wave of djent bands that I've seen recently.

Now to go nag the guys for guitar pro tabs for this :lol:

StormyC93

Reaction score
Some of the stuff I want to do is Cannibal Corpse classic death, Beyond Creation tech death, Bongripper sludge, and Woods of Ypres doom. I will even try to make some heavy thrash.

OmegaDoyle

Reaction score

Warhorse gets down low and whenever they fear that the bass may go undetected, they simply stop playing their guitars for a while and the bass keeps going. Ingenious.

I should also mention that they do not use 8 strings, but they use a tuning that isn't far off from 8 tuning and I think it sounds great for Doom!

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Wow I'm so happy about this thread, I've been looking for stuff like this for awhile.

Pedantic

(Djent pun)
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the bass in bongripper goes an octave down or does it match the guitars?

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I've been tuning my 7 down to dropped D#, and it works really well for doom. It's an RG7621 with a 68 for the low D#, and I'll probably get a 70 or 72 pretty soon to tighten it up a bit for a little more definition on palm-muted parts, but it's completely convinced me to get an 8 in the very near future. Looking forward to writing an entire album based around D#/A#/D#/G#/C#/F#/A#/D#

Arcanerain

Reaction score
Some of the stuff I want to do is Cannibal Corpse classic death, Beyond Creation tech death, Bongripper sludge, and Woods of Ypres doom. I will even try to make some heavy thrash.

It should sound fine, I play a bit of doom bow and again usually stuff by draconian, paradise lost (old stuff), novembers doom and I tried playing some daylight dies songs but I didn't manage to pick them up. These bands are probably more death-doom and they don't tune quite as low as drop G,F and E. I have tried tuning to drop D1 to try and play some of draconians songs a they tune to D2 standard, but the 8th string was too muddy and floppy ad went out of tune pretty quickly.

Though I think you should do it, mainly to experiment and have fun with. I intended to buy an 8-string for playing doom and you can get some great sounds out of it. I sometimes play some of Metallicas old thrash songs and play some of the heavier riffs on the lower strings and I really like how it sounds. Theoretically and 8-string does enter the bass register but an 8-string tuned to E1 doesn't sound the same as E1 on a bass, but maybe it will be a different story when I start using bass strings on my guitar. Hope this has been of some help.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I'm writing a fully orchestrated tech death solo EP right now, just give me a couple years :lol: 90% of the parts that come into my head I am surprised to find are in F or Eb..I did not expect to be writing down there so much but it sounds nothing but awesome!

I would imagine that 9th string literally just clangs when you hit it.

:nono:

kris_jammage

Reaction score
There is a Death Metal band from Ireland called Putrefy who use 8's, but mostly tuned down 7's. check them out, pretty brutal/gorey stuff, and stupidly heavy! :metal:

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
In terms of Doom, there's tons of bands that do super low shit, usually on 6's though. Bongripper's already been mentioned, but they're a shining example of what you can do tuned low.

Oh, and Thou!

I mainly play doom/sludge (like Yob, Thou, Bongripper, etc.) stuff, and it's usually on an 8-string multiscale. Though I've been working on some songs using a 6-string tuned to drop F♯ and drop-A.

If an 8 will be better than a low tuned six, that's completely dependent on what you're looking for. Getting the floppy, basslike sludge tone that Bongripper has is a lot easier on a six, as the short scale plays a huge role in that.

AmishRefugee

Reaction score
In terms of more classic death/black metal, Ihsahn has been using 8-strings on his last two albums with pretty fantastic results

Latest posts

')