8-string guitar tunings

J5S7

Reaction score
I just got my RGA8 about an hour ago and I'm trying to experiment with some tunings

Post some tunings you tune your 8 to..I'm curious to try them out!

Also, let me know if you've successfully tuned to Drop G without breaking your high E string haha

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GJaunz

Reaction score
I played with different tunings a bit when I first got my 8 string as well. The one I settled on, that I'm super happy with is AEADGBEA, using a high A string from www.octave4plus.com . This tuning enables you to play lots really huge sounding chords that use all 8 strings. Here's a link to a video I did to demo the tuning:

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
I played with different tunings a bit when I first got my 8 string as well. The one I settled on, that I'm super happy with is AEADGBEA, using a high A string from www.octave4plus.com . This tuning enables you to play lots really huge sounding chords that use all 8 strings. Here's a link to a video I did to demo the tuning:

Thanks for the site link! And are you Mark Taylor who posted on Chimp Spanners wall yesterday?

nostealbucket

aint no gahdam woman
Reaction score
There has to be at least 10 threads about this already.

I like standard tuning, drop E, or slight variations. I hate open tunings.

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I use mostly Drop E (High to Low: EBGDAEBE) but sometimes I drop the B to A for Drop A with a low E.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
F standard as it is the tuning that Meshuggah uses. I am interested to try EAEADGBE but then I would have to retune whenever I want to jam out to catch-33.

As you've just gotten your first 8 (did you say that?) I think it's a given that you really are just aching to jam your favorite Meshuggah songs. Also Animals As Leaders is just too damn hard to play.

')