8 String Guitars: Active to Passive conversion Megathread!

sherlok7

Reaction score
Definitely prefer the covers, but I have a thing about pickup rings - they're just fugly. Shame bkp don't do the covers on the 8s, hopefully one day they'll do it.

Can you not simply mount the new pickup directly to the wood? (I'm sorry if this question is n00bish, but that's what I am when it comes to guitar customization.)

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
hes using pup rings. so the pup needs mounted to the pup ring, however im sure the BKP is setup for a direct mount setup which wouldnt need to be threaded as the foam/springs underneath teh pup are what dictate the pup height.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Frogman

Reaction score
Bumping for the: EMG 808 To Passive Conversion "IR" Rings

Any pics of this? Saw it on the fretsonthenet.com site

mountainjam

Reaction score
Bumping for the: EMG 808 To Passive Conversion "IR" Rings

Any pics of this? Saw it on the fretsonthenet.com site

Yep, just installed them.
100_0053.jpg

F0rte

Wood Whore
Reaction score
It's a guitar, not a flashlight.

- Misha Mansoor

ViolaceousVerdance

Reaction score
Howdy, sevenstringers,

This sticky is awesome. It's good to see other 8 string players doing their own conversions! I tried recently on my ltd fm-418 with a set of BKP aftermaths and I was actually pretty pleased with the results at first.

At first... Then, problems came up. First, I can't solder well to save my life. Watched a bunch of videos and the techniques just didn't get under my fingers. So, the output jack's outer tab solder point keeps coming undone. My repair attempts consistently prove useless. Then, a problem came up where my entire tone got "weak" as though there was less signal going into my rig. I haven't looked into what's caused the problem yet because I was able to buy an rg2228 (thanks, ozone junkie!) and decided that I would wait for more resources to put those aftermaths in my ibanez instead. Of course it wasn't until then that I actually read anything about it here.

That being said, I need some love from you guys. Once I get the pots, cover, and switch that I want, which I'm still debating, I want to find someone in the central New Jersey area who would be down to do the wiring stuff so I don't have a chance to make the same mistakes twice. Who wants to help me? There's a local store I've gone to for years only because I felt I had no other options. Don't make me go back! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

fusion1

Reaction score
Which thread illustrates the pickup cavity frames the OP talked about in June 2010?

MannyMoonjava

Figgjo Fallout Shelter Wizardry
Reaction score
Greetings from norway! :lol: I've just got my Interceptor and cant complain about the EMG's, actually I love em! Very clean tone. I apologize for my sloppiness.
Here's a review of what they sound like:

EMG 808 with Distortion :hbang:

EMG 808 clean, only added some reverb

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I've been reading through these various topics, and I'm a little surprised that no one has really talked about how they're grounding the strings/bridge.

Anyone care to share if there are any issues to watch out for when grounding a black Hipshot bridge?

yuureikun

Reaction score
I can't say I have done it myself, but I have had a tech ground to a hipshot bridge twice. Once for a Schecter Hellraiser C-8, and recently for my Carvin DC800. He said it is a pretty standard procedure and he has a long drill bit specifically for the job.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Although I currently don't own a multimeter to test it, I've wondered if the strings ground when in contact with the black Hipshot bridge without grinding the black off in various places... especially when looking at the saddles, bridge plate, screws, etc. I'm thinking of dropping a pair of Alumitones into an Intrepid, and want to avoid issues.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
In regards to the conversion that loktide did with his BKPs and using the EMG housing, does anyone know if you'd still have to trim excess of for doing the same with an 81-7 casing? I know the 808's use the 40 housing and the 7 is a 35 I believe, and he cut off 5mm, so that'd be the difference anyways; which would mean in theory the 7 string one is already the proper depth?

Bower1

Reaction score
I've been reading through these various topics, and I'm a little surprised that no one has really talked about how they're grounding the strings/bridge.

Anyone care to share if there are any issues to watch out for when grounding a black Hipshot bridge?

On the Ibanez RGA 7 and RGA 8 there is alread a bridge ground. I am converting my guitar right now. I am not sure how you will ground it on a hipshot. Probably will have to drill a small hole and run a piece of wire from there to a pot. I suggest doing this before you completely install the hipshot. I just know that some of the Ibanez's have them stock.