8 String Guitars: Active to Passive conversion Megathread!

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Some pics of the BKPs in active housings that are going in my KxK Sii-8 eight string

The build thread is over here http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/122052-kxk-sii-8-order-56k-meh.html

image.jpg

2.jpg[/IMG]

Would this work for my Agile Septor Elite 827? It has Blackouts in it right now. I just wanna make sure I could easily swap in some BKP's with these pickup covers. Any one have some experience with this? Thanks

Would all the pots have to be switched to 500k/250k?

Reaction score
I did a conversion on my RGA8 last month. Put a Lundgren M8C in the bridge position. I basically had to bypass ALL of the stock electronics and buy a 500 ohm pot for the volume. I left the other stock pickup in the bridge and the switches in the guitar for aesthetic reasons.

There is a dramatic change in sound. It feels like it's a bit lower output than the stock Ibanez pickups, but the tone of the notes on the entire range is crystal clear. You do however need to compensate with extra gain, because it's not the highest output pickup. But once you dial it in, it just roars.

Also had to re-wire it because it was out of phase with itself.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mr_ormus777

Grey Alien
Reaction score
Sydney, Australia, formerly Zeta Reticuli
Great info here, I have three questions if anyone can shed some light please.
1. Does anyone know if the EMG conversions would apply to Carvin DC800 A80s also? I mean in terms of hiding a passive in the A80 cover...

2. I want to try some Dimarzio Dactivators however I'm not sure about the neck pickup, I play a lot of jazz and need a nice Benson-esque type clean and also want to split the coils as well. Does anyone have a better suggestion for this type sound?

3. Dactivator in the bridge looks(in theory) like it will give me the Holdsworth/ Thordendal lead tone I like. Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?

I am contemplating a set of Lundgren M8s as well as they seem to offer what I need but haven't got any to try and apparently(on one of the threads here) the lower strings don't sound that great, although Fredrik doesn't seem to have a prob...

My guitars are Alder wings/ Maple neck thru and Alder wings/Walnut neck thru...

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...

XxSilverburstDiezelxX

Audio Engineer
Reaction score
Great info here, I have three questions if anyone can shed some light please.
1. Does anyone know if the EMG conversions would apply to Carvin DC800 A80s also? I mean in terms of hiding a passive in the A80 cover...

2. I want to try some Dimarzio Dactivators however I'm not sure about the neck pickup, I play a lot of jazz and need a nice Benson-esque type clean and also want to split the coils as well. Does anyone have a better suggestion for this type sound?

3. Dactivator in the bridge looks(in theory) like it will give me the Holdsworth/ Thordendal lead tone I like. Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?

I am contemplating a set of Lundgren M8s as well as they seem to offer what I need but haven't got any to try and apparently(on one of the threads here) the lower strings don't sound that great, although Fredrik doesn't seem to have a prob...

My guitars are Alder wings/ Maple neck thru and Alder wings/Walnut neck thru...

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...

1. I believe the A80 routes are the same size as standard EMG808 routes.
So the cover solution should be fine!

2. Bareknuckle Aftermath/ Cold Sweat (Neck) combo gets my vote.

Coming from a DC800 owner. The A80's sound pretty great with my Axe Fx II, I can work around it, they are hot and clear enough. But then again I'm too scared to put passives in this beauty.

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
I'm about to do the pickup cover conversion on an RG8. Installing a D-activator. I'm hoping it doesn't affect the tone at all, because I much prefer the covers over the conversion rings.

Anyone notice any difference between with the cover and without?

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
FWIW I got the Dimarzios installed with the pickup covers from Mojo. The covers are a really tight fit. With a little persuasion, and some light sanding, I got them to fit.

You can't even tell that the pickups were changed out, so there's really no point in posting ay pics.

Just a warning, though: The Mojo covers and Dimarzios aren't a great fit. But it can be done.

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
So, what's the steps and needed replacements, in a nutshell, for converting from active to passive on a DC800? Do I need new pots and other stuff, too? I've been playing a while but I'm pretty new to tinkering with the electrical components of guitars.

I'm planning on replacing the pickups with a BKP Holy Diver 8 in the bridge and a Dimarzio PAF 8 in the neck and am getting a custom pick guard to compensate for all the extra space left by the A80's. Will I need to trim the tabs and route the cavities a bit?

Thanks, dudes.

Ryan Duke

Reaction score
Just wanted to say I think it's great this thread exists since most 8's come with actives. I guess the companies assume anyone who plays an 8 string has the same preference in pick ups

hand amputation

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am really wanting to put some 'active covers' on my Dimarzio D Activators that are currently installed on my RG8. I just can't hang with the gaps, plus I just think active pickup covers look slick as hell.

Can someone help me out? Is there a place I can buy them online? How would I install them, etc?

Qr1qIBd.jpg

PM plz?

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Hey dudes :wavey:

Quick questions about conversions - I've read through the thread and just want to first say thanks for posting all this info, it's pretty awesome! So it seeeems like what I want is doable, but because I'm a big noob I might as well have been reading everything here in Mongolian because I can't make sense of it, when it comes to this stuff I'm one of those guys that needs things to be spelt out.... so, apologies and thanks in advance for taking the time!

Guitar: 2011/12 RGA8 (stock pups for just about a year now, i'm over 'em...like really... over 'em)

Pups I want to try: SD Nazgul and Sentient combo (Dat Keith Merrow :yesway:)

My problem: I got as far as realizing that these pups are passive, and that might (?) be an issue because my RGA8 has actives. (Woo! I'm learning! :idea:)

And i noticed on SD's website that they offer different mounts:

8 string - Nazgûl - Seymour Duncan 7/8 String

-Are these mounts just for aesthetic/cosmetic purposes or do I have to pick a specific one because only one will fit into my RGA8?

-And what do I need to do to get these bad boys into my RGA8?? Do I just buy them and get them installed, or is there more to it than just that (I.e. it's not plug n' play)?? Do the different mounts available help at all?

EDIT - link for RGA8 specs, if it makes it any easier http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RGA8

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
Anyone know of anyone besides frets on the nets that does pu rings for 8's? I'm having trouble finding any at all.

thearistocat

Reaction score
So, what's the steps and needed replacements, in a nutshell, for converting from active to passive on a DC800? Do I need new pots and other stuff, too? I've been playing a while but I'm pretty new to tinkering with the electrical components of guitars.

I'm planning on replacing the pickups with a BKP Holy Diver 8 in the bridge and a Dimarzio PAF 8 in the neck and am getting a custom pick guard to compensate for all the extra space left by the A80's. Will I need to trim the tabs and route the cavities a bit?

Thanks, dudes.
You'll need a new jack, new pots, and maybe a new switch (idk about the switch though). A normal sized pot WILL NOT fit for the volume, and the holes are too small for the thread part of many pots. The ionizers I put in fit but the original screw holes made it a challenge. If you have any other questions you can message me.

FingerPickinGood

Reaction score

I went through this about a month or two ago on my DC800, switching to some D'Activator 8s.

First, I did get new pots, and then tried wiring things. I'm totally new to this, and didn't get it right. So, I took it to a guy who does a lot of setups in the Bay Area. He kind of frowned on all the default electronics, actually, and claimed they were all pretty cheap. He swears by Switchcraft, and after having him finish the setup, I'm stoked with the results. I'm not sure if that means Carvin skimped on the electronics, but I wouldn't be shocked.

So as a run-down I used the DiMarzio 500k pots for tone and volume, and Switchcraft 3-way toggle and I think the plug comes from them.

Otherwise, I was able to get a good seat on the pickups, after using a 1/8" of foam I found at the local hardware store. The D'Activator 8s wire comes out the bottom of the pickup, which I could *not* get flat without the foam. If you can even get someone to make a pickup mount you might still want to do this instead of springs; the pickup height is pretty good with just a thin piece of foam. The pickups come with springs that would have made the pickup really really tall on the DC800.

For me, I'm really, really happy I made the switch though. I think it's a very even sound, and this is really my favorite guitar right now. I just wanted to "share my story" for posterity, because I found this thread hugely informative.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
He kind of frowned on all the default electronics, actually, and claimed they were all pretty cheap. He swears by Switchcraft, and after having him finish the setup, I'm stoked with the results. I'm not sure if that means Carvin skimped on the electronics, but I wouldn't be shocked.

This sounds more like brand loyalty than anything. Switchcraft is obviously great, but they're far from the only game in town. I'd be shocked to find out that Carvin uses sub-par electronics.

mrfrisky330

Reaction score
I just upgraded my brand new Washburn PXM18EB from active EMG 808's to passive Seymour Duncan pegasus/sentients. Luckily ~Washburn had pre drilled a hole for the bridge earthing wire (but never used it) the main issue was the depth of the pickup cavities.

On the Washburn the EMG's had TWO rubber feet instead of one and the new pickups only had one and it was too shallow, so I used pickup springs on the screws to give me more range :)

Replaced all the electronics and the wiring loom (just to be sure) and fitted dual push pots for coil tapping. The process was easy it was Seymour Duncan's inaccurate wiring diagram that caused all the agro!

Now I just need to sell the brand new EMG 808s plus the pots/caps and wiring :D

Latest posts