8-string headless, sub-$2k; Best brands/models/experiences?

• Thread starter JDB123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Pierce Paradox

Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with Kiesel vaders and Osiris. This is my silly build. IMG_1112.jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

concertjunkie

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Ormsby guitars. Great price and reliable, study guitars, and under 2k. You can find them on reverb around 1500ish or less.
I used to own a Strandy and loved it, but got tendonitis from it so I sold it.

Wucan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My current 8 is an Ormsby Goliath. Love it to death, very very comfy to play with versatile pickups.

I used to have an Iron label Ibanez. Quite cheaply built, ash finish was razon thin, loose electronics needed TLC out of the box. But sounded pretty brutal without being super long at the bass side and played fast.

The rest I've only tried at stores. Strandbergs are very interesting, they're even lighter than they look. But the Endurneck is an acquire taste for sure, for me it felt like a small log got dislodged from the neck and it was uncomfortable. I've tried a few Schecters as well, workmanlike guitars for sure but they were all archtops that I didn't like. Ditto for the Jacksons, which will generally be slimmer/flatter at the neck than the Schecter.

Jefonyx

Reaction score
Hi there !
I have several headless models : Kiesel, Strandberg, Legator, Valravn, but all over the 2k budget.

I will admit you are looking for a mustiscale fixed bridge model.

Strandberg : In this range you are looking for the standard serie. In terms on construction, mine was flawless, amazing feel and playability, but the strandberg pick ups are not good enough for the 8th ...
The warning is : You should try it because the strandberg experience is really different from a conventionnal guitar, plus the fact that 8 string guitars are another world too...
The sound of a strandberg feels a bit "flat / sterile sounding" to me no matter what pickups are mounted on it (passive, active, branded or OEM). It's a very specialized instrument but for modern metal sounds you are in the right place.
I have some stability issues after a certain period not playing it, the tuning tends to go crazy.
My advice : I you like passive pick ups, swap them, or get the Original serie with the active ones.

Legator : I have the anniversary (white) model, and tested the regular one. They are very good, I love the feeling, the sound is awesome with the Fishmans, very resonant guitar. I have some stability issues, when I pick my guitar the next day, the strings are flat, so I have to tune them again, not by far but it's noticeable.

Kiesel : As you can do whatever you want, I will just say that in terms of construction, it's above the rest of the selection. Reinforced neck is awesome in terms of stability, no issues what so ever. So if you keep the sub 2k budget, you will certainly end up with a bolt on model with simple woods (no top) and color finish (Osiris, Zeus, Thanos...). The neck join are not very optimised but nothing unplayable.

Valravn: Certainly the most well packed offering for the money (it tends to have Fishman pickups), or Dirthaller (which are awesome). I like to play it a lot but I have a big warning concerning the finish and tuners. I had to send back my neck as it had severe fret srpout out of the box, the leveling was aweful, some frets where so high they didn't give me the right note. My tuners are aweful (they hurt as they are very sharp, and never stay in tune the next playing session, and are very hard to move, I have to use a screwdriver...) but the most recent series have different tuners (can't give my opinion on them). I have a ziricote top that have cracked by itself...So I doubt about the drying process...
In terms of sound, playability and ergonomy they are absolutely awesome..But for a first 8 string I would tend to keep you away from those small builders as the materials and finishes are not on par with the big brands...

So final verdct will highly depend on budget : 1k -> Legator, Under 2k -> Strandberg, over 2k -> Kiesel. I would stay away from Valravn for a first headless 8...

You will find some reviews (French) and playings on my Youtube Channel : jefonyx (so far I have to make the Legator video, but I'm slacking a bit..)

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have several headless models : Kiesel, Strandberg, Legator, Valravn

So final verdct will highly depend on budget : 1k -> Legator, Under 2k -> Strandberg, over 2k -> Kiesel. I would stay away from Valravn for a first headless 8...

Thanks for the detailed rundown, lots of good info!

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
For my two cents, Agile is pretty hard to beat for that price. I have several, and they've all been great. As someone who started playing in the late 80s, it blows my mind what you can get for that price these days...

As far as Legator goes, I've heard it depends - if you get a good one, they're great. If you get a bad one, they're awful. But I don't have any personal experience with them enough to say beyond hearsay.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
I put in another vote for Kiesel. My two are awesome. The Vader was used and the Osiris was spec'd very very well on one of their holiday sales for not much over $2k. It's been over 2 years and I haven't GAS'd once, it's an incredible guitar.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I think for the sub 2k range kiesel is hard to beat. Keep your build simple and stick with standard items. Can spec out a decent Osiris or Zeus with quarter sawn maple neck and stainless steel frets for about $1700. They catch a lot of flack on this forum but if you stay simple and cheap, hard to beat

I’ve got a Kiesel Osiris Multiscale 8, and for a short while I had a Strandberg Boden Metal NXT 8. The Strandberg wasn’t bad but I found it to have so many little problems that made it really annoying to deal with and maintain. The Kiesel’s neck also played much better in my hands. I ended up selling the Boden and kept my Kiesel. Still love it. I’m sure there are great Strandbergs out there but I couldn’t jive with that one. I’d like to try Aristides next.

I’ve had good luck with Kiesel vaders and Osiris.

I put in another vote for Kiesel. My two are awesome. The Vader was used and the Osiris was spec'd very very well on one of their holiday sales for not much over $2k. It's been over 2 years and I haven't GAS'd once, it's an incredible guitar.

What pickups are in y'alls Kiesels? Feel like I hear conflicting things about which of their in-house pickups sound good (for ERGs).

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
What pickups are in y'alls Kiesels? Feel like I hear conflicting things about which of their in-house pickups sound good (for ERGs).
My Vader is all walnut with the Lithium in both positions and the Osiris is all Black Limba with a Thorium in the bridge and Lithium in the neck. Both are chambered. The Thorium is a little too thick and powerful IMO and I have a Lithium to put in it to see if it helps. It's on the thin side but I like it for the most part, bright and tight.

I've posted a handful of comparisons, look at the shootouts playlist:

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
My 2020 Legator Ninja N8FX isn't headless, but it is the best multi-scale 8 string guitar that I have personally played. The 26.5 - 28" scale just feels right on it. The woodwork, fretwork, & finish all exceeded my expectations of a Korean import.

Reaction score
I just have stock lithiums. They’ve been great for me. Haven’t really felt the need or desire to swap em for anything, although it would be fun to experiment at some point. I’ve recorded with the lithiums and played them live a lot already, no complaints.

Spazilator

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is my Legator Ghost 8 (performance series, ie the cheap ones - this was £900) and I love it. I have heard their QC is a bit hit and miss so maybe I lucked out but it plays great and never had an issue with it.

The stock pickups are weak but they are the exact same size as Fishmans, and even though the stocks are passive they include a battery compartment etc so it's a super easy upgrade.

Would recommend.

View attachment 131517
I have the same model, but in black. The QC on mine was incredibly good for the price- I concur!

This model is affordable and upgrade ready. If you can find a guitar that’s has all the bells and whistles already, and won’t break the bank- go for it.

Spazilator

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Recently got a GOC Materia+ 8 string and have been nothing short of impressed. Phenomenal guitar.
I was looking at these too, I love the body shape! How much did yours go for? They seemed pretty pricey to me, but they’re very unique.

Are they hand made or factory made?

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I was looking at these too, I love the body shape! How much did yours go for? They seemed pretty pricey to me, but they’re very unique.

Are they hand made or factory made?

I think it $1200 CAD with $100 CAD shipping. Mine is more expensive than most models because it has a figured top. The ones that don’t have the figured maple tops are usually a good amount cheaper.

Not sure what you mean by hand made or factory made. I think they are made by a small team of builders.

Spazilator

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think it $1200 CAD with $100 CAD shipping. Mine is more expensive than most models because it has a figured top. The ones that don’t have the figured maple tops are usually a good amount cheaper.

Not sure what you mean by hand made or factory made. I think they are made by a small team of builders.
Hand made as in a small team, factory made as in mass-produced. In any case, GOC has some sexy looking guitars!

Halowords

Reaction score
I have a Valravn and couldn't be happier with it. I'm actually pondering getting a second one. My experience is kind of the opposite of Jefonyx's (which in no way invalidates his experience, by the way). The fit and finish were great, it was WAY more guitar for the money than anybody in the States could come close to, it looks amazing (and it's better in person, it looks a bit monochromatic in the pictures), you have a ton of flexibility in regards to the specs (wood, color, hardware, scale, etc.). I also found them very friendly and had great customer service. Moreover, they delivered way under their estimated build time.

Based on my experiences with them, pre- through post-build, they're my first choice.

Valravn Front 1.jpgValravn Front 2.jpgValravn Back 1.jpgValravn Back 2.jpg

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Halowords Congratz from a fellow Valravn owner :)
Btw., what buildtime did they cite and how long did it actually take?

Halowords

Reaction score
@Halowords Congratz from a fellow Valravn owner :)
Btw., what buildtime did they cite and how long did it actually take?

Cited Build Time: No less than 4-5 months.
Actual Build Time: Less than two months from down payment to completion. The guitar was in-hand less than three months from the time I sent the initial payment.

I really couldn't be any more pleased with the experience, from customer service, communication, guitar options, not to mention the actual guitar itself. I don't want to exaggerate or inflate things, and it's likely not every build arrives potentially months before the initial time frame, but it was a very positive experience and the Valravn is the guitar I play almost exclusively these days.

')