8-string Help?

slideyboy

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first time posting, so hello everyone at sevenstring.org! Anyway, I'm sure there are a plethora of threads on here about 8 strings, but I searched and couldn't find any. (I also searched Google too!)

Basically, I'm oogling the BOA model from strictly7.org. They're the only makers of an 8-string with an H-S-H configuration, as far as I know. Do you guys recommend this? Apparently they're $1089, which isn't too bad, I think. What scale length do you guys recommend, as well?

Also, I was looking at the Agile guitars. I've read nothing but good reviews for them, but the downside is that they don't have any models with H-S-H. But the one thing that concerns me is that the string gauge for them is .09, which even on a six string is really floppy, so I can't imagine what it would do to the sound of the 8-string. I read on here that upping it to .11 (which is what I normally use, anyways) really tightens up the sound and fixes some intonation problems. If it ships with .09's, would the nut allow for me to increase the gauge to .11 safely?

Sorry about the novel I just wrote, but I'm so excited to be finally getting an 8-string and I really want this one to be good! Thanks, guys!

-slideyboy

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ProgShredder73

Reaction score
actually, because of the longer scale length, the .9's have more tension. there wont be a problem with floppiness unless you get a 725 or maybe a 727, but the 728's and 730's should be great with the 9's. that being said, as far as i know there wouldnt be a problem with upping the gauge, even though if youre tuning to standard, .11's would give you a rediculous amount of tension.

slideyboy

Reaction score
Oh, yeah now that you mention that, that makes a lot of sense haha. Well thanks, would you recommend 728 or 730? Also, do you know any "stock" 8 strings that would have an HSH pickup configuration?

ProgShredder73

Reaction score
sorry, im not aware of any other than the one you listed. haha. i dont think too many people are into single coils on an 8 string, although that would sound interesting. :agreed: i personally would reccommend the 828, because my hands arent big enough for the 830 haha. but its all personal choice.

')