8 String metal guitar for $1,000

hayday24

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not 100% sure if I posted this in the right spot but whatever haha (this is my first post)

I've looking for an new 8 string guitar. I play metal (mostly stuff like deathcore and stuff like that I guess but I do play other types as well) my budget is about $1,000-$1,300 and I'm not too picky on the shape of the guitar or anything, my main concern is the sound. What would be your suggestion on the best guitar to get? Thanks! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hayday24

Reaction score
Thanks guys :) I also forgot to mention I was looking at the Schecter Blackjack ATX C-8 with the Seymour Duncan Blackouts active pickups (I believe) wasn't sure about it though

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Thanks guys :) I also forgot to mention I was looking at the Schecter Blackjack ATX C-8 with the Seymour Duncan Blackouts active pickups (I believe) wasn't sure about it though

Get the sls c8. It has a bit thinner neck and they sound pretty good.

7stg

Reaction score
Ibanez m80m during the upcoming 4th of July sales. The m80m with its longer scale is the best 8 string for a clear defined low end due to better inharmonicity. An Agile 830 would work too with a 30 inch scale

Schecter is good quality as an inbetween at a 28 inch scale or an Agile 828 at a 28.625 scale.

Carvin has the best short scale 8 at a 27 inch scale, it sacrifices low end clarity for better multi-step bends.

It's important to determine what scale length is comfortable for the styles desired to be played. If you can't find a guitar with a particular scale length to try and see how it feels, find a bass with a 34" scale and capo at the 1st fret for 32.1, 2nd fret for 30.3, 3rd fret for 28.6, 4th fret for 27, and 5th fret for 25.5 or a 35" scale bass can be capoed at the 1st fret for 33, 2nd fret for 31.2, 3rd fret for 29.4, 4th fret for 27.7, 5th fret for 26.2, and 6th fret for 24.7.

Given To Fly

Reaction score

I played one of those today. I was impressed because this was the first new 8 string guitar that had strings from the factory. It took some work to play though! :flex: I rarely try guitars before I buy them but this on one, I think it would be a good idea. :idea:

hayday24

Reaction score
Ibanez m80m during the upcoming 4th of July sales. The m80m with its longer scale is the best 8 string for a clear defined low end due to better inharmonicity. An Agile 830 would work too with a 30 inch scale

Schecter is good quality as an inbetween at a 28 inch scale or an Agile 828 at a 28.625 scale.

Carvin has the best short scale 8 at a 27 inch scale, it sacrifices low end clarity for better multi-step bends.

It's important to determine what scale length is comfortable for the styles desired to be played. If you can't find a guitar with a particular scale length to try and see how it feels, find a bass with a 34" scale and capo at the 1st fret for 32.1, 2nd fret for 30.3, 3rd fret for 28.6, 4th fret for 27, and 5th fret for 25.5 or a 35" scale bass can be capoed at the 1st fret for 33, 2nd fret for 31.2, 3rd fret for 29.4, 4th fret for 27.7, 5th fret for 26.2, and 6th fret for 24.7.

I don't get any 4th of just sales because I live in Canada. Not sure if we get sales on Canada day or not though

hayday24

Reaction score
I played one of those today. I was impressed because this was the first new 8 string guitar that had strings from the factory. It took some work to play though! :flex: I rarely try guitars before I buy them but this on one, I think it would be a good idea. :idea:

And those glow in the dark inlays! :bowdown: :wub:

7stg

Reaction score
I don't get any 4th of july sales because I live in Canada. Not sure if we get sales on Canada day or not though

If you are close to the border there may be opportunities. 4th of july weekend usually has some really good deals.

DreamError

Reaction score
A DC800 is hard to beat, based off my DC125C. Or if you're lucky and get a good one like I and some others have, an Ibanez Iron Label. Or you could get a not-so-nice lemony one >.>

How low do you want to go? Is playing really hot licks way up high on the tiny strings important, too? That should help better determine the scale length you'd want.

27" is considered short scale? What are the 26.5" pre-2014 Schecters and 25.5" ESPs being called, then? Shawty scale? :lol:

Just being cheeky ;)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Inharmonicity isn't really a concern at F#1 on 27", so I don't think that will be an issue. And multistep bends are a function of string tension, not scale length. Irrespective of the scale length, you need to calculate what size strings will give you the tension you want to play and bend the way you are used to. What a longer scale will do is allow your low end to sound more guitar-like, and less bassy. But you'll sacrifice some of the rounder, mellower tones on the high strings, and get what some describe as an "ice-pick" sound.

Also, you can request a thinner neck on a Carvin, so there's that, too.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Get a Schecter Damien 8 Platinum for $650, and buy a used backup seven on GC with the rest. :yesway:

7stg

Reaction score
27" is considered short scale? What are the 26.5" pre-2014 Schecters and 25.5" ESPs being called, then? Shawty scale? :lol:

Just being cheeky ;)

Yeah, for an 8 string;
30" - Long
28.625" - Medium
27" - Short
26.5" - Mini
25.5" - Micro

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/10064-string-gauges-inharmonicity.html
The results have me thinking that a low F# is destined to be muddy as hell on any scale less than 28 5/8", no matter what gauge is used.

I agree with this, as I have not found the F# on a 27" to offer the clarity a 29.4 inch scale offers.

')