8-string Neck: the best of

• Thread starter DEIX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DEIX

Reaction score
What 8-string neck, on which you played, seemed most comfortable to you and why?
In terms of dimensions, "the feel", playability, fret access etc.

I've heard the neck profile of RGA8 feels right for most.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mustache79

I like to play
Reaction score
What 8-string neck, on which you played, seemed most comfortable to you and why?

I've just recently played on a Schecter Omen 8 26.5" scale and an Agile 828 28.625" scale. The shorter scale Schecter was is easier for me to chord on and had a surprisingly thinner neck than I would have thought. After a bit of practice I'm fine with the 28.625" scale Agile.

Tone wise < Agile 28.625, IMO but tone is subjective.

DEIX

Reaction score
Is it the latest 2012 model of Schecter, or you have older one?
They've reconsidered neck dimensions, the ATX C-8 that i own myself, is not rather comfortable. Though hand got accustomed, and now it feels ok.

stuglue

Reaction score
I believe the new models that were announced at NAMM this year are the slim line SLS range

mustache79

I like to play
Reaction score
Is it the latest 2012 model of Schecter, or you have older one?
They've reconsidered neck dimensions, the ATX C-8 that i own myself, is not rather comfortable. Though hand got accustomed, and now it feels ok.
I was last years model with the dot inlays. This years models have different inlays on the neck I've noticed. I've seen them on Ebay for $399, but I offered a place $350 and they said they could do it. It was free shipping. Not sure what shipping would be to Moscow.

johnnyboy102

Reaction score
The schecter atx c-8 I have has pretty comfortable neck. It is a little thicker than I would like, but it isn't nearly as thick as you might imagine. Personally, I think the neck on the rg2228 takes the cake. I was lucky enough to play one recently and I was absolutely stunned by how thin it was.

Brohoodofsteel75

Reaction score
I really dig them all, they're all different. I liked schecter more at first because it wasn't to hard for the bigger chords, but now i'm digging Agile a bit more mainly because of the tone. It's clear crisp and sexyier than shcecter imo.

DEIX

Reaction score
I was last years model with the dot inlays. This years models have different inlays on the neck I've noticed. I've seen them on Ebay for $399, but I offered a place $350 and they said they could do it. It was free shipping. Not sure what shipping would be to Moscow.
We have a good local dealer in Moscow, I think it's not beneficial to order any Schecters from ebay.

DEIX

Reaction score
And all the same, the topic is not just about the Schecter :)
I'm very interested in people's experiences with playing comfort and feel of different necks.

As I can see, the Meshuggah's signature model has a completely flat neck, the F8 Blackmachine is not far from it too. While building the custom 8, I'm going to work with a very talented luthier, but we both can only guess about the exact dimensions. That's why I need a wide selection of opinions of different people.

Personally I've played on RG2228, Schecter ATX C-8 and Intrepid Dual 828.
Seems that older Ibanez 8 were very close to be most comfortable and playable. Can't say about the newer, just don't have access to them, yet.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've owned a crap load of 8s, and my two favorite necks were that on the RG2228, which is thin, just rounded enough, and the perfect width in my opinion, and the neck on my old SC608B which was a hair thicker, a good amount rounder, and felt narrower at the nut. Too bad the SC608B was a dead plank sound wise as at time I liked it's neck more than my RG2228.

Of the Agile 8s I owned, I found the neck on the neck-thru Intrepid to be really "boxy" feeling, very thick feeling, with large shoulders, kinda like a low end RG7321, but much larger shoulders. I didn't really like this neck. The bolt-on Intrepid's neck was much nicer, thinner, less shoulder. It didn't feel awkward in my hands like the neck-thru model. The Septor 8 neck was very similar to the bolt-on Intrepid.

I've played a few Schecter 8s, and found them to be several different takes on the same rounded profile. Not bad, but far from ideal for my hands.

Allo1010

Reaction score
I don't have much experience with 8 strings (only got/played one), but before I bought the LTD SC-608b people told me that the necks were really fat and uncomfortable.

When I got it the neck was practically the same size, (or even smaller!) than my 6 string Ibby RGT42FX.

All in all, a pretty damn sick guitar.

stuglue

Reaction score
ESP don't do the SC anymore.the current 8 strings are the 208,338 &308, all apparently have thin necks

Slamp

Reaction score
I have the fm408, and i quite like the neck of it, round and thick seems to work for my hands. But upper fret-access is quite bad, might need to modify the lower horn on this one.

MannyMoonjava

Figgjo Fallout Shelter Wizardry
Reaction score

My Interceptor Pro's neck is awesome! The fret access is super! i can even play bass lines on F# and B strings on 20th fret!! The neck-trough provide extreme comfort while playing heavy riffs and bluesy solos!
The neck is thicker than a normal 6 string ofc, i like to compare it to nylon acoustic guitars when noobs asks how it feels :fawk:
but i really like the neck its very smooth :)

I LOVE IT!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Reaction score

RG2228 & RGA8 feel the best to me. Thin and flat with jumbo frets. The negative thing about this is that the neck has a tendency to flex with simple body movements which causes undesireable pitch changes. I don't care for that feature at all.

LaPerraLoca

Reaction score
ESP don't do the SC anymore.the current 8 strings are the 208,338 &308, all apparently have thin necks

why are you saying that? the web site still shows the sc models, and i dont think they are going to stop making the model anytime soon...

')