8-string Neck: the best of

• Thread starter DEIX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I'm loving the DC800 neck. It's slim and comfortable and has awesome fret access. I thought an 8 string was going to feel huge in my hands, but it feels so natural.

Dayn

Reaction score
RG2228 & RGA8 feel the best to me. Thin and flat with jumbo frets. The negative thing about this is that the neck has a tendency to flex with simple body movements which causes undesireable pitch changes. I don't care for that feature at all.
Aha, so I'm not the only one! I have to tune my guitar in classical position, because if I rest the body on my right leg and the neck on my left, the neck bows imperceptibly and lowers the tension.

That being said, I'm not sure I could leave the RG2228. The string spacing for an eight is great, it's thin and flat, and there are almost no shoulders. The frets are big, I barely touch the fingerboard, and the fret access is great. The bolt-on heel doesn't get in the way. Your mileage may vary, but I can comfortably play the eighth string's 24th fret. For that fret and that fret only though, my wrist lightly bumps into the lower horn...

That being said, it's almost like the neck doesn't exist which is perfect for my playing style. My old six-string BC Rich was far less comfortable...

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
The damien elite necks are amazingly comfortable for me. I really love them. Nothing thick about it. The shape is something like a cross between a C and a D. The lack of finish on the back makes it pretty fast.

vansinn

Reaction score
Only played three. RG228 was the best, then RGA8.
My 2011 Schecter Riot 8 ltd has a real nice thickness, but a Bit too rounded shoulders.
Been thinking of adopting a V-like profile on the bass side and a more rounded C on the treble side.
String spacing is a Bit too narrow for chord works, especially on the nut. Fortunately the neck is wide enough to allow a new nut with wider spacing.
Frets are ok, though I would've preferred them slightly taller.

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
I've played a few different Schecter 8-strings, and I love the necks on all of them. I've played the Omen-8 2012, the OLD Omen-8, the Damien Elite-8, the ATX-8 and some other set neck model. I wasn't sure which, seeing as I wasn't paying attention to that, but I'm pretty sure it was a Hellraiser of sorts. They all felt great, with the OLD Omen-8 being the least comfortable out of all these, and the ATX having the most comfortable neck. The Damien Elite is easily a happy medium regarding profiles and such.

sleightest

Reaction score
I've just recently played on a Schecter Omen 8 26.5" scale and an Agile 828 28.625" scale. The shorter scale Schecter was is easier for me to chord on and had a surprisingly thinner neck than I would have thought. After a bit of practice I'm fine with the 28.625" scale Agile.

Tone wise < Agile 28.625, IMO but tone is subjective.
I have a 2012 omen 8 also. After playing for a while now ive realized the pups have got to go. Im happy with the neck and factory setup though

Reaction score
I've owned a crap load of 8s, and my two favorite necks were that on the RG2228, which is thin, just rounded enough, and the perfect width in my opinion, and the neck on my old SC608B which was a hair thicker, a good amount rounder, and felt narrower at the nut. Too bad the SC608B was a dead plank sound wise as at time I liked it's neck more than my RG2228.

Of the Agile 8s I owned, I found the neck on the neck-thru Intrepid to be really "boxy" feeling, very thick feeling, with large shoulders, kinda like a low end RG7321, but much larger shoulders. I didn't really like this neck. The bolt-on Intrepid's neck was much nicer, thinner, less shoulder. It didn't feel awkward in my hands like the neck-thru model. The Septor 8 neck was very similar to the bolt-on Intrepid.

I've played a few Schecter 8s, and found them to be several different takes on the same rounded profile. Not bad, but far from ideal for my hands.

I agree, the 2228 is a tad thin for me, but I liked it a lot more than the schecter stuff and the LTD stuff.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
I can't decide between the rg2228 neck and the neck on my carvin. The ibanez neck seemed almost toothin, but I didn't get to spend much time with it. The carvin neck is noticeably thinner than my schecter's neck, however.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Mayo8Grnriffs671.jpg

Mayo8Grnriffs670.jpg

Mayo8Grnriffs675.jpg

Nothing compares

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
Just played an RGA8. No me gusta. Too thin. I don't like paper thin necks. Also it felt like it had rather large shoulders. This was a pre-2011 model, btw.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
My Agile Pendulum Pro is my favorite so far. My Intrepid 828 is tied w my RGA8 although the RGA8 is much thinner.

yuureikun

Reaction score
Carvin DC800 easily beats out any other 8 string I have played. I have played or owned Schecters, Agiles, and LTDs (oddly enough, never tried Ibanez despite the fact that it is typically the most common to find at a guitar store).

Glint Symmetry

Reaction score
Since i have my RGA 8 i can tell you that i dont want more schecters...

I was a owner of a Schecter demon 7 and i can say that the day i first play in this rga 8 i see how mutch i can play more fast and more musicaly better with ibanez,i never try other brands like agile,carvin,black machines etc...but i can tell you that i feel like in home with ibanez necks...never again i will think twice and buy a schecter...instead a ibanez...

this neck fits perfect for me,even my gio 7 string that i was owner i play better then my demon 7...

For me,and with the few guitars i have play...this rga 8 rules a lot...my hand run on the neck,fucking fast...

one more thing,the passage from 6 strings to schecter demon 7 was a pain...a real pain...

and i was thinking that in 8 strings i will be dead after 2 days...lol

But no... perfect,no pain at all...feel like i play this guitar all my life

until now...Ibanez rulessss

Reaction score
Aha, so I'm not the only one! I have to tune my guitar in classical position, because if I rest the body on my right leg and the neck on my left, the neck bows imperceptibly and lowers the tension.

That being said, I'm not sure I could leave the RG2228. The string spacing for an eight is great, it's thin and flat, and there are almost no shoulders. The frets are big, I barely touch the fingerboard, and the fret access is great. The bolt-on heel doesn't get in the way. Your mileage may vary, but I can comfortably play the eighth string's 24th fret. For that fret and that fret only though, my wrist lightly bumps into the lower horn...

That being said, it's almost like the neck doesn't exist which is perfect for my playing style. My old six-string BC Rich was far less comfortable...

The flex is one of the main reasons I got rid of both the RGA8 & RG2228. The profile of the necks were great and I thought there couldn't be anything better, however once I played a Ltd H-308 I was blown away and I bought a pair of them. The neck is not quite as thin but then again there is zero flex. They're 25.5 inch scale so I have them tuned to A Standard which is fine with me.

')