8-string Neck: the best of

• Thread starter DEIX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guy_in_a_band357

just a guy in a band
Reaction score
So from what I'm gathering, the Intrepid neck is thicker than the Septor/interceptor neck? I've played a neckthru interceptor, and loved the neck (although slightly thicker than I thought it would be) but I wouldn't want to pick up an neckthru intrepid if the neck is even thicker. Can anyoneshine some light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
While I love my RGA 8 neck (the profile is really, really nice), the 7 string neck that Tom from the Oakland Axe Factory built me has the best profile I've ever played. If that was an 8, it'd be my pic, but for now from the many 8's I've played I'm sticking to the RGA 8 (and yes, I have played the 2228).

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I've got an RGA8 and a Pendulum 82527. The RGA8 is thinner and faster, but, yah, far less stable. I find myself futzing around with the action a lot. Our weather has been crazy humid lately and none of my guitars has suffered the change as poorly as the RGA8. That being said, when it's set up right, it's a really nice neck to play on, the fingerboard (now that it's been entirely re-done, the factory fretjob was abominable) is extremely nice. But if I get bouncy or aggressive with it, the pitch fluctuates. The Agile is considerably more stable with its dual truss rods, slightly thicker neck and big ass shoulders. It's a really boxy neck, but it really reminds me to put my thumb where it belongs and, while I fight it a bit more than I fight the RGA8, the Ibanez is up for sale and the Agile is staying with me a while longer.

DancingCloseToU

Reaction score
So from what I'm gathering, the Intrepid neck is thicker than the Septor/interceptor neck? I've played a neckthru interceptor, and loved the neck (although slightly thicker than I thought it would be) but I wouldn't want to pick up an neckthru intrepid if the neck is even thicker. Can anyoneshine some light?

As far as I can tell they are both 2 1/4" at the nut, but some septors/interceptors have a 16" neck radius and some a 15" radius. I've only ever seen Intrepids with a 15" radius. Then again, human error may play a part in that. there are some typos on Rondo's website. Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 92730 EB CA Tribal Purple - RondoMusic.com For example. I'm not positive, but I don't think the width at the nut is really only 1 5/8"...

mtlSam

Reaction score
*strandberg guitars' necks are so original and incredibly versatile, I have never played a more comfortable 8 string than #13 at NAMM '12.

guy_in_a_band357

just a guy in a band
Reaction score
As far as I can tell they are both 2 1/4" at the nut, but some septors/interceptors have a 16" neck radius and some a 15" radius. I've only ever seen Intrepids with a 15" radius. Then again, human error may play a part in that. there are some typos on Rondo's website. Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 92730 EB CA Tribal Purple - RondoMusic.com For example. I'm not positive, but I don't think the width at the nut is really only 1 5/8"...

Yeah there seems to be quite a bit of typos on the website, so I'm curious to hear from someone that has played both. I wouldn't think there would too much of a difference between the necks, but you never know lol.

MrGignac

Sonderkommando
Reaction score
Agile pendulum pro, is my fav. I have yet to play a carvin DC800, and i really want an OAF in the future, they look amazing

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
Yeah there seems to be quite a bit of typos on the website, so I'm curious to hear from someone that has played both. I wouldn't think there would too much of a difference between the necks, but you never know lol.

I honestly think the 828 Intrepid bolt-on neck is more comfortable than an 827 Elite (gloss), 830 Pro (gloss) and Pendulum Pro 82527 (satin) (all neck-through). It might just be how the finish feels thinner than the others, but I find it easier to play. The closest is the Pendulum, which has a satin finish, but for whatever reason it isn't as comfortable as the Intrepid's.

In terms of the most all-around comfortable 8-string neck, my Oakland Axe Factory hands down. It's unfinished Indian rosewood with an asym profile to die for. No bulky shoulders and the thinner treble side makes for some excellent extended play sessions.
I'm gonna be shaving down the necks on my Pendulum and Intrepid to match - just thinking about how comfortable they'll be makes me antsy to get started :hbang:.

guy_in_a_band357

just a guy in a band
Reaction score
^Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I hate painted/cleared necks as well. Gonna go for a satin finished intrepid neck through.

Reaction score
Easy the Washburn PXM18EB!

Its neck (I own one) is 1mm thinner in depth at the first fret and nearly 2mm in depth thinner at the 12th than the RG2228 and a whole 5mm narrower in width at the last fret (the RG is 80mm the Washy 75).

The ESP SC608B isn't bad either, but the Ibanez are baseball bats in comparison especially the RG8/RGA8 which are still smaller than a Schecter :)

')