8 string partial fretless on the bottom 2 strings?

• Thread starter proto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

proto

Reaction score
maybe silly but I was wondering if would be possible to refret an intrepid 8 string only for top 6 strings and leave the bottom 2 strings fretless -?

thx proto

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
Anything is possible, but for this, you'd probably have to make a shelf for the 2 strings to rest on, to make them level with the frets. Vik did a build that had the same concept (can't remember if it was 1 or 2 strings that were fretless), I'll see if I can find some pic's to show what I'm yabbering on about :rofl:

edit: Well that was easy :lol:
photo_02_big.jpg

vansinn

Reaction score
Could be interesting. I've thought a lot about doing something semilar with my 7-string bass, which is a different beast, though.

I agree with espman about shimming the board to align the fretted/fretless transition.
Do make sure to carefully review your playing needs before doing the mod.

Like, will you miss those extra fretted strings when shredding higher up, to avoid having to go diagonal across the board like on a traditional 6-er ;)

Do not that going from fretted to fretless on one and same board isn't straightforward. When fretting, fingers are placed behind frets, as opposed to placing them (virtually) directly on the intonation point whne playing fretless.

MrGignac

Sonderkommando
Reaction score
the bass player from obscura has a bass with frets on top and none on the bottom 2 stings. an ibanez custom i believe. so its def possible

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
Its definitely possible. But may i ask in what application this would be useful to you? Im curious because this is a really cool idea and im always looking for unique guitars so id like to know what one might do with this.

jsl2h90

Reaction score
can i ask, what would be the advantages of doing it this way? ie why not just go completely fretless?

MrGignac

Sonderkommando
Reaction score
so how would you do that? cut the fret off and leave the tang and file it down.

Latest posts

')