8 String Pickups?

• Thread starter guitarguy65251
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! I'm planning on buying the newly released Ibanez RG8 and using it in jazz band (Not a poser djent band lol) as both a bass and guitar tuned Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-B-E-Ab-Db (Like a bass in Eb Standard on the lowest four strings that is also like a six string in Db Standard to throw in some octaves of the bass.) ANYWAYS I was wondering if I should change the pickups to Dimarzio 8 String D-Activators or Lace 8 String Pickups? I want to know if anyone has used the Lace 8 Strings (Durability, EQ, Output, etc.) and where to find them because if they aren't any more recommended than the Dimarzios, I may as well save some $ and get the Dimarzios. Please respond with your experiences with either pickup! (This is a VERY open thread!):wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

codycarter

Reaction score
The Dimarzio DA8 are super hot and great for a driven active like sound, almost meant for metal tones, but a little harsh for cleans. The Dimarzio PAF8 is, in my opinion are LOT better for cleans, though they do lack the sparkle that you get out of the PAF6.

Lace are the cleanest pickups you will ever find, but IMO you are very limited. The alumatone, or in your ERG case, the X-bar is veerrryy solid sounding, absolutly noiseless, even sounding across all the strings, and super clear on the low notes. To mean they are great for cleans and kinda good for a "rocker" tone. The Deathbucker, or Deathbar is the same thing as the x-bar, but totally different. It has way more output, it is driven like the DA8, but not as active-y if you get that. The Deathbar is also SUPER clear across all the stings. So no matter how sloppy you play, everything gets through. OH and not to mention the x-bar and Deathbar send out a current vs a traditional voltage, which means you effects sound better on them

All four are great pickups, maybe look someone up on here who has either and ask them to record some jazz stuff you would play, then judge off that.

Who knows, maybe Dimarzio will decide to put out a CL8 and a LF8 and maybe lace will decide to add a bit more variety at NAMM

Reaction score
So i'm planning on putting an 8 string deathbar in the bridge and a x-bar in the neck (Both in Black:hbang:) But I need to know which ones to order so I can install them with the least modifications posibble. Again, these will be going into an Ibanez RG8 so I think it has the same specs as the RGA8.

oracles

Reaction score
DiMarzio also just released a Tosin Abasi signature 8 set called the Ionizer which could be worth your while checking out

codycarter

Reaction score
So i'm planning on putting an 8 string deathbar in the bridge and a x-bar in the neck (Both in Black:hbang:) But I need to know which ones to order so I can install them with the least modifications posibble. Again, these will be going into an Ibanez RG8 so I think it has the same specs as the RGA8.

Just measure your pup cavities, I think the 4.0's will work since the RG8 is 808 sized, but I could be wrong

DiMarzio also just released a Tosin Abasi signature 8 set called the Ionizer which could be worth your while checking out

This is very true, if they are anything like I expect them to be, the neck pickup would be an excellent bridge pickup for you.

I'm still pissed we aren't getting a CL8 :mad:
Cause I was kind of expecting it

MrGignac

Sonderkommando
Reaction score
i have a lace deathbar 4.0. the cleans are amazing. great clarity too

Latest posts

')