8 string Q-tuners production! need buyers! (VERY possible! passive sized!)

• Thread starter MF_Kitten
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I'd say the cepheus size would be the smartest to go with considering the majority of people with 8 strings on here probably have intrepids so it would be the most common sought out size.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
that´s what i´m thinking too, as well as the cepheus being a very compact and easily fittable size.

can someone help me get this thing going? i´m not sure where i should go with this to give it proper attention.

mgcasella

Reaction score
I'd say the cepheus size would be the smartest to go with considering the majority of people with 8 strings on here probably have intrepids so it would be the most common sought out size.

Very logical - I think that is a great idea. Let's go with Cepheus-sized pups!

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
To add a little direction, as requested...

My assumption is that the internals are the same, and can be altered (although who would want to go with anything different from the transparent housing with sexy red wires?). The question is what the outside of the housing/potting is like dimension-wise.

I've said yes to the Cepheus size, assuming that the internals (hi/low) are wound individually. I'll need two, neck and bridge, of different strengths.

MF-Kitty is the only other person who has responded affirmatively. As he now has a two-Cepheus Intrepid, my assumption is that he wants two of them, also of different strengths.

The count now stands at a definite four. Eight more are needed to move forward.

There are lots of "possibles" and speculation in the thread, but no definite responses. JonnHatch, CheeseBuiscut, MGCasella? Are you in? How many?

If you want to be counted as a yes for one or more Cepheus-sized Q-tuners, be clear and state so, as well as your quantity (one or two).

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´m in for one, actually, for the neck position only. so we have a definite three.

the only thing that would be different at all would be the dimensions of the housing. they currently have a model that will fit an emg 808 route, and the model we´re going for will fit passive routes.

9 more are needed to move forward.

vansinn

Reaction score
Actually, I have a different idea.. Timur (daemon barbeque) earlier said he had inquired about a single coil shaped version, which I assume would itself be wound as a humbucking device.

Now, two of such can of course be installed and wired to tone-wise function as a humbucker, plus the benefit of being able to wire them in different ways.

This will allow more flexibility, as it'll allow installing them both in 'normal' perpendicular fretted instruments and, with an offset, in compond scale ones, and of course installing a single, for those who might prefer this.

My guess is that supporting an aggressive fanout may not be perfect in terms of how the magnetizing adjustment screws line up with the strings, but it'll still work.
I believe it'll be a far more flexible solution.

Last edited:

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Actually, I have a different idea.. Timur (daemon barbeque) earlier said he had inquired about a single coil shaped version, which I assume would itself be wound as a humbucking device.

(Edit: removed speculation which indicates vansinn might not have read DB's lengthy four-sentence post in its entirety)

vansinn, did you read the same post I did?

I love my q-tuners, and I like the dynamics I get out of them. The clarity is something that makes them so unique!

I asked Erno for 8 string single-coil versions and he said it's too expensive to do it. That was the only way for making q-tuners perfect for fanned frets:(

You went into a great deal of detail and speculation, using as a starting point something which Erno had already ruled out entirely. As the post from DB wasn't that long, I'm kind of surprised you missed that detail.

Eight-string single coil was completely ruled out as too expensive. Making a double coil in the size of the too expensive single coil is doubly too expensive, and therefore likely doubly ruled out.

Sorry, friend!

----

So, there's really only two people interested? That's really surprising...

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
If I had an 8 or any money I would be interested but sadly I only have 6ers and only 1 worth putting fancy pups in that already has q-tuners.

I was just trying to throw in some insight :p

Would like to see the option come to life though.:metal:

mgcasella

Reaction score
If I end up getting an Intrepid for this run, then I will definitely commit to an order of Q-tuners :agreed:

I will keep you posted.

Let me rephrase what I said before: "If a Dual Intrepid Ghost Burst (with either a rosewood or ebony fretboard) becomes available, I will buy it and then immediately commit to buying two Q-tuners".

I asked Kurt if there would be any leftover Ghostbursts and he said "Maybe", so we'll see.

I won't commit until I have an actual guitar; however, I chimed in to show that, if the guitar becomes available, I will commit to the Q-tuners. It wasn't intended as a sheer "maybe".

Explorer: I'm sorry that more people can't commit to spend $300+ on pickups as quickly as you would like. This thread has only been up for a few days and I'm sure more people will jump on the bandwagon soon. Please be patient.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i find the q-tuners to be quite affordable, really, compared to other pickup companies. and i think a large amount of people would rather have them in the neck position, so that wouldn´t cost alot for that person.

just saying :p

Reaction score
i find the q-tuners to be quite affordable, really, compared to other pickup companies. and i think a large amount of people would rather have them in the neck position, so that wouldn´t cost alot for that person.

just saying :p

Can you talk to Erno about the 2 singlecoil option again? He might think that there would be a greater possibility to sell them so he would be interested to build them.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
that option would be a bit too prestigious, i think. i would rather just use the 6 string bass version and angle it. it´s wide enough to cover all the strings while fanned, and it works the same, as far as i know.

right now i think we should focus on the most likely option, and maybe it will open further options later on.

vansinn

Reaction score
vansinn, did you read the same post I did?

You went into a great deal of detail and speculation, using as a starting point something which Erno had already ruled out entirely. As the post from DB wasn't that long, I'm kind of surprised you missed that detail.

Eight-string single coil was completely ruled out as too expensive. Making a double coil in the size of the too expensive single coil is doubly too expensive, and therefore likely doubly ruled out.

Sorry, friend!

I believe I did read the same post, and yes, I did notice a single coil shaped pup was deemed too expensive. However, Timur's post didn't state whether this was an inquirery for himself alone, or for a production run. Knowing about Timur's other ventures with vendors, I'll guess he actually inquired about a production model, but still, this wasn't clear to me.

When writing my idea, I was of course aware this would likely be an even more expensive way than a one-piece humbucker. Still, ideas are just that.. ideas..; you never know what may be the final outcome, and I still think it' could be a nicely flexible solution for at least multiscale instruments.

I like you ended saying friend.. I choose to assume we're still at that level :wavey:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i think Erno would have to be convinced into making a 7 string single coil before even thinking about the 8 string single coils. and seeing as there is next to no 7 strings with single coils out there (UV and a couple others), and even less 8 strings with single coil (probably like a couple of luthier-made custom guitars somewhere), this is unlikely.

we could try that later, but right now i´d appreciate it if we just stuck to the 8 string passive sized q-tuner.

mgcasella

Reaction score
As of right now, the school I'm attending has decided to revoke my financial aid due to bureaucratic garbage that is beyond my control. Because of this I am going to have to forgo buying an Intrepid, as well as buying Q-tuners.

If this mess gets fixed then I will definitely be in; however, this does not look good. In the meantime, count me out for the Q-tuners. If anything changes, I'll let you all know.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Add a third, please! I'd be interested in a translucent with red coils Mid-Z (neck) and High-Z (bridge) matched set. Sorry, should have added my voice MUCH earlier. The pickups that came with my Brooklyn Gear are REALLY driving me N-V-T-S (and I thought EMG Selects were terrible)!

Have to admit that I love that particular combination on my 7-string Epiphone Goth Les Paul, ... harmonics just sing. Sound-wise, I'd say it has a bit more mid-range, a touch more treble and a little less bass than a Seymour Duncan SH-2 (hopefully this description will help out folks). Bartolini's might be described as being generally "horn-like" and with that though, I'd use "bell-like" and "bright without being brittle or thin" to describe the above Mid-Z pickup. The Hi-Z has a bit more mid-range and treble to it than the Mid-Z, think a bit more "punch," a bit easier to distort, but might give you a bit of trouble if you're looking for a really grunge Lo-Tech sound. It is extremely similiar to the Seymour Duncan SH-11, but with a little more bass to it. Can't speak to the Super High-Z as I've not ever had one. I'd avoid using distorted sounds to try and suss out whether you like them or not, stay clean and then after that try adding in your favorite distortion (some tweaking will be involved).
Seymour Duncan/Basslines

I'm a huge fan of sustain and the above setup is extremely impressive relative to non-feedback based pickups (Sustainiac, Fernandez, etc. , ...). I'd recommend these over the Bartolini set (and I really LOVE that combo) that I've been using in another Epiphone 7-string Les Paul Standard (feel free to laugh at the "Standard" designation, I do).

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
allright then, we have another "yay" for two pickups then :p

what would you be putting it in, if i might ask?

')