8 string Q-tuners production! need buyers! (VERY possible! passive sized!)

• Thread starter MF_Kitten
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
allright then, we have another "yay" for two pickups then :p

what would you be putting it in, if i might ask?

Not at all, that same Brooklyn Gear 8-string guitar that I picked up. Sadly, I play the guitar unplugged because I really like the sound of it that way as opposed to being plugged in. The "Tesla" pickups are not my cup of tea at all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I used a digital micrometer on the Cepheus routings of my just arrived Intrepid Pro Dual, and got the following measurements:

90mm x 39mm, with 98mm between the centers of the mounting screws.

(I forgot to measure the actual size of the routings for the mounting flanges, but will do so later.)

I want to do another measurement when I'm not pressed for time, so that the final measurement is exact, and therefore won't have either a huge gap or the need to press down on the pickup to get it to fit.

Has anyone else measured the Cepheus pickup routings? It's probably good to know if there are small variations, so no one is left out.

Lee, do you have a way of measuring your Brooklyn Gear, so we can know the pickup will be in the same ballpark, and can therefore be part of the same startup order?

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
I don't have a micrometer, but I'll see about getting the requested information posted.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i have measured my pickups and pickup routs, but the measuring device i used isn´t precise enough to call it a "measurement" :p

edit: if the mounting screws are 98 mm apart, then they didn´t use the swineshead dimensions after all. that´s the same spacing as a BKP 8 string humbucker! if it´s also 108 mm wide from end to end, then we´ve got a match for BKP, and possibly, Lundgren sizes as well. sweet!

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Okay, final dimensions:

Main pickup housing route - 90mm long x 39mm wide

Mounting screw routes - 5.5mm beyond main pickup housing route, for a total width of (90mm + (2 x 5.5mm) =) 101mm. The width measurements for the mounting tabs is 11.5mm.

The routing never begins to reach the 108 mm width. That's almost half a centimeter additional routing needed on each side of the existing route, and I want something which just drops in. If I were going to go with routing, I'd just drop in a set of the bass Q-Tuners...

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
okay, so the mounting screws are the same distance apart as BKPs then, but the actual tabs are shorter. great stuff! this means hat we can have the screws line up to where the old ones were, and yet have it drop into any route. so it´d be compatible with BKP sizes, as it´s a bit narrower than they are, and i´m assuming the lundgrens can´t be that different in size, since the pickup sizes are calculated from string spacing etc.

i think the cepheus sizes are a safe bet, because they will definitely fit into anything :)

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
I've a horrid feeling that these are more similiar to EMG's than anything else out there (looks like BL-5's for this instrument)...

The pickups are:
100.96mm long x 37.485mm wide. The single mounting screw on either side is 19.74mm in the middle of the width's outer edge.

For the sake of Erno's sanity, I think using the Agile dimensions would be best if there were to be a group purchase/creating a specific size.

I'm still quite interested in getting such a set, even if it wouldn't work directly for this guitar. The other one would look a bit more classy with pickup rings and a raised pickguard. ;) Again, still count me in, please.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
you´re still in then :D

you could look for emg 808 dimensions, and see if they match. then you could buy emg 808-to-passives pikup rings (there are a couple places to get this, i can´t remember exactly where though), and then use those along with the 8 string q-tuners. sure, you´d only gain the look of pickup rings and some more adjustments, but you´d actually be helping us out with getting orders :p

anyways, bumping this thread to keep it going. we need moar!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
thanks, but we already have measurements of the whole cepheus, and i´ve checked it with BKP dimensions to make sure it´ll fit ;)

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Like I said, sign me up for a book matched set of Medium-Z for the neck and a High-Z for the bridge pickup, please? :)

Any more?

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
just went through the thread real fast, and we have 5 pickups, 7 to go in order to make it to a run!

rhoads18

Reaction score
Ok so I just heard about these and haven't read much. But I noticed Tosin has one in his 8 string and I'm very curious... What do they have to offer tone-wise?

I've been emailing Erno - he said that the q-tuner bass pickups are identical to the guitar pickups in every respect except for size and the way they fit into the pickup cavity. (guitar pickups have the single screw hole on each side whereas bass are anchored in each corner)

Hope this helps

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
I've been emailing Erno - he said that the q-tuner bass pickups are identical to the guitar pickups in every respect except for size and the way they fit into the pickup cavity. (guitar pickups have the single screw hole on each side whereas bass are anchored in each corner)

Hope this helps

Yeppers, for 8-string guitars, Erno recommends going with a BL-5 version.

Relative to this thread, what we're trying to do is to get Erno to create a new case that would directly fit a stock 8-string pickup, rather than have to do a little bit of routing in order to accept the BL-5. The major problems at hand are that there isn't a "standard 8-string pickup shape," though with Agile this may change, at least this is what we're trying to discover...

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Sorry for the OT, but has anyone put a BL-5 into an Agile yet??

When I initially put down an order for the only available Intrepid Pro with an ebony neck, the only pickup option was a single EMG808. I started researching through SS.org at that point, and found NO posts about anyone dropping a Q-Tuner into an Intrepid. I even asked in a few threads, and found nothing.

I had really wanted a dual Cepheus pro with ebony, and it became available, so I wound up sending back the original single EMG Pro. I didn't think Q-Tuners would be an option for the Cepheus routes until this thread, though.

At this point, depending on how long it takes to get the Cepheus-sized Q-Tuners up and running, I might have enough time to get enough additional cash together to buy a set of Q-Tuners to replace the stock EMG808 pickups in my ESP LTD FM-408. Since I really want the Cepheus/Q-Tuner pickups to become reality, I don't want to pull out of the current count for these things, and so I'm betting that they'll happen instead of spending that money on the BL-5s. If the new ones don't happen, then at least I'll have saved up more money, and will be able to instantly drop those bad boys into the FM-408. (Incidentally, this is something else I have searched extensively for, and found no mention of, either on SS.org or through Google).

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i remember there being a discussion about it, and the bl-5 was discovered to be a drop-in replacement for the emg 808 (because emg were lazy and used bass housings, funnily enough), but i don´t think it´s been done by anyone here yet. Tosin Abasi has one in the neck of his 8 string though, so that´s proof that it works in a guitar.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Ah OK. I got a Pro on pre order, before the Cephus/passive equipped ones wer announced - arse - so I'm stuck with the 808. Was pondering picking up a BKP and putting up with the routing issue, but was curious about using a Q Tunder as a drop in.

Never mind.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
sooo, the october run of intrepids is slowly coming closer, no? so if any of you new intrepid owners end up being interested in q-tuners for your new axe, we can still get this boat rockin´!

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Depending on how my coming dual cepheus 8 sounds, I may be on board. I've always wanted Q-Tuners, but I'm not sure if it's right for my 8 yet.

')