8 string rig

starvingartist

Reaction score
Okay, so i just recently bought an Ibanez RG8. im lookin to change out the pickups in the near future. But i was wondering what you all were using as an amp/cab and head rig?

right now im just using a cheap peavey vypyr 30 modeling amp haha.. i need an upgrade:p
:shrug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Axe Fx Ultra, Rocktron Velocity 300, Framus Dragon 4x12, & Mesa oversized 4x12.

I previously used my 8 with my Framus Cobra and Line 6 Vetta. I also good a good sound from the wife's Roland Cube.

I love using amp modeling but really an 8 can sound good with just about any amp. It all in how you EQ. A pickup upgrade will help too.

What don't you like about your tone? What's your price range?

starvingartist

Reaction score
Axe Fx Ultra, Rocktron Velocity 300, Framus Dragon 4x12, & Mesa oversized 4x12.

I previously used my 8 with my Framus Cobra and Line 6 Vetta. I also good a good sound from the wife's Roland Cube.

I love using amp modeling but really an 8 can sound good with just about any amp. It all in how you EQ. A pickup upgrade will help too.

What don't you like about your tone? What's your price range?

Okay, I could try and mess more with eq'ing. I love using my amp with my 6 sting ibanez. But I'm worried about losing clarity in the lower frequencies with an 8 string.
I'm looking for something that won't completely destroy my bank haha. Maybe in the 500 range haha. But that may be a laughable price range:p haha especially when talking about axe fix and mesas and whatnot:p

KwameDude

Reaction score
When i was playing live i used my agile 8 string through my pod hd pro>crown xls1000 poweramp>peavey valve king cab

i also used an actual OD and noise gate it sounded so much better than with a real ts9

I hated the valve king cab though, was gonna look into getting a mesa OS but the band disbanded and i had no reason to get one ha

KwameDude

Reaction score
Okay, I could try and mess more with eq'ing. I love using my amp with my 6 sting ibanez. But I'm worried about losing clarity in the lower frequencies with an 8 string.
I'm looking for something that won't completely destroy my bank haha. Maybe in the 500 range haha. But that may be a laughable price range:p haha especially when talking about axe fix and mesas and whatnot:p

unless you are wanting to get like a line 6 spider stack or something then you are gonna need a bit more that 500 :p

gabesrups

Reaction score
I use a RG8 stock pick ups for now. I'm ordering a RG2228 in a few days. But I run it thru a Engl Invader 150 thru a Orange 4x12. Sounds sick

Reaction score
I'm using a Pod HD500X and a powered PA monitor, an Alto TS112A, with an Agile Intrepid Pro 828. Awesome combo. The tweeter handles the highs and high mids perfectly while the subwoofer handles the lows superbly. It's also very transparent, so you get nothing but your guitar and Pod tone.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score

The biggest thing that helped me with clarity on the F# was using passive pickups (D-Activators) and I am a huge active pickup guy. Some how they seemed so much clearer to me than the 808's and Blackouts.

7stg

Reaction score
I like studio monitors, they work great for guitar and bass. My favorites on the lower end are Yamaha HS8 or Adam F7.

naw38

Reaction score
It's only a small upgrade from the Vyper, but I'm currently running through a Peavey Bandit 112, a Boss GE7, and an EHX Glove OD. And I get a pretty mean tone - aside from the fact that I really need a noise gate.

starvingartist

Reaction score
The biggest thing that helped me with clarity on the F# was using passive pickups (D-Activators) and I am a huge active pickup guy. Some how they seemed so much clearer to me than the 808's and Blackouts.

the DiMarzio DP820 D-Activators?

Orgalmer

Chuggasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Id' suggest a Pod HD500X just on it's own. You can use headphones or run it thru a PA with relative ease. You can then buy a power unit and a cabinet, or a PA speaker and run it that way later on.

Not sure where you're located but in Australia you can get one of those for around $500-600.

Ethenmar

slow and low
Reaction score
I have a Jackson COW 7 with DiMarzio Blaze tuned in F# (i'm waiting to buy an Ibanez SIR28 when arrives to Europe). This is my brute gear:

Maxon OD808 Clone + Modified 5150 + Rocktron Hush Super C + BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer + V30 2x12 Cab.

Apocalyptic sound.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score

Not at all, well kind of. You can get a POD HD for $500 which will work well with the 8 string, however you would either need an active speaker or power amp+cab to use it with a band. My backup rig is a POD HD with an Alto TS115A, It sounds great.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
What kind of situation will you be playing in? A gigging band? Bedroom rocker? That will help you determine what kind of rig you should go for.

Me? I'm partial to VST amp modelers like Guitar Rig running on a laptop. PC rigs are as flexible as any other modeler out there (Line 6, Eleven Rack, Boss GT) with all the highest quality models. If you already have a laptop, there's loads of free amp modelers out there to save you money. Also, if you already have an iPad or iPhone there's always the iOS modeler route. :yesway:

As far as an amp head/cab setup, for 8 string metal speakers I'd highly recommend the Celestion G12K-100's. Even if you mix them with another speaker (say, the Vintage 30) their higher power handling will give you that clear low end you seem to want. For 8 string amps, I've had really good results with a Blackstar HT-5H. Although it has lower wattage and may not reach full gig volumes, at practice or jam session levels it sounds great and keeps a solid sound all the way down to the F#.

EDIT: Also check out the Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 combo. I tried one briefly in GC a bit ago and was initially impressed with the results. It's definitely going to be a step up from your current rig, and it's enough within your budget that you could probably get the combo and the foot controller- if you didn't already have one.

GreatWhiteYeti

Reaction score
I found that FRFR systems don't really fill the room as a 4x12 with my 2228, so I went with a EVH 5153. It's insane! I also play out of a Roland Microcube at home. It's okay lol

Latest posts

')