8 string SD Blackouts Bridge ( + active pickup comparison/poll)

What pickup do you prefer for your 8 string bridge (position)?

• EMG 808

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EMG 808x

• SD Blackouts Bridge

• EMG 808 (18v mod)

• EMG 808 (RPC mod)

• EMG 808x (18v mod)

• EMG 808x (RPC mod)

• SD Blackouts Bridge (18v mod)

• EMG Metalworks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
This is for the 8 string users out there that have/had the SD Blackouts Bridge pickup in their 8 string guitar. Its a multifold question/poll so some may apply to you and others may not.

Please answer whatever applies, and skip the ones that don't. Ill number them so if you want to, reply to the questions that only apply to you, it might be easier for the thread's readers to reply by question number, (e.g. (1) Yes; (2) No; [skip (3) as it doesn't apply]; (4) No, etc....), so please do so if you wish.

I searched the forum and internet and looked through quite a few threads but I only found X vs X thread, and there really isn't any substance to the threads. This is more to get an objective comparison to go along with the pinned/sticky 8 string pickup thread.

The three active pickups in regular circulation are the EMG 808 and 808x and the SD Blackouts Bridge and Neck. There are also Carvin, Agile, and Ibanez active proprietary pickups. However, Metalworks released new 8 string pups, but I don't think too many people have them yet.
  1. Did your 8 string come loaded with the SD Blackouts Bridge (e.g. I only think Schecter makes factory models with SD Blackouts: Blackjack SLS C-8, Blackjack ATX C-8, Blackjack SLS C-8 EX, Blackjack SLS V-8 EX)? [If yes, skip 2 and 3]
  2. Did you buy the Blackouts Bridge separately and install it/replace preinstalled/factory pickups?
  3. If you swapped/replaced it with the Blackouts Bridge, what pre-existing pickups did you have?
  4. Did you compare or try the Blackouts Bridge with EMG 808's or 808x's (or the Carvin/Agile active pups)? [If no, skip 5 and 6]
  5. Can you please describe the sound in kinda like EQ terms, such as how the low end/8th string sounds with hi-gain/overdrive/distortion? (e.g. The 808 was muddy/boomy/bassy on the low strings whereas the Blackouts Bridge was much more articulate and clearer on the low strings)
  6. Did you do any modifications (e.g. 18v mod) to your pickups before you swapped in the Blackouts Bridge? If yes, what modifications did you do?
  7. What is your favorite active pickup if you can compare at least one with the Blackouts Bridge and why?
Thanks for your reply. Have a nice day :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Navid

Chicken Kicker
Reaction score
There is something really wrong with this poll:
There is no BKP Aftermath

Why exactly are you only interested in actives?

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
Im interested in actives for 2 reasons: (1) they are my favorite/i think they are the best (2) there are very few active pickup choices for 8 strings so i wanted to see a comparison. Passive options are nearly unlistable for me, i couldnt count, and there are so many good passive pickups, namely my favorite dimarzio combo, but since active technology is cutting edge, id like to see comparisons with just actives.

Navid

Chicken Kicker
Reaction score
Uh... We see it so differently.
I had emgs 808 and disliked them for the usual reasons you can read on the internet. I had blackouts and i liked them but they weren't as dynamic as i wanted my pickups to be, then went to passives and i love them.
Honestly, blackouts sound like passives, just hotter and less dynamic. If you like flatter spectrum i suggest them.
I do not think you're right about actives being superior or just "the best". keep in mind that all pickups sound alike once they're through an amp and in a full mix, no one would ever notice what you're playing ~ unless you're playing emgs. not even god can save emgs.

Amanita

Reaction score
i beg to differ about BOs sounding "passive". they are excellent, powerful and very quiet pickups but they sound as if they have some soundgoodizing, bigger-than-life EQ in-line.
though certainly they sound more "passive" than EMGs.
about "cutting edge" remark - Laces anyone? Q-tuners? ;)

')