8 String Tuning below F#, E and beyond…

• Thread starter Kayzer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
You twist and pull the winding off the core so only the core is left and you put that through the tuner.

I haven't had any strings break on my since doing it. It's actually not any less structurally sound. Even wound, it's the core that's taking the tension.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
First, I don't know what drilling for a .090 would do to the integrity of the tuner. That may weaken it a bit more than you'd like.

:eek: I don't think any guitar tuner will allow you to drill to 0.090" without ruining the tuner. It will crack when you put tension on it. I don't even know about drilling to 0.080".

I say you either get a bass guitar tuner (your call: fugly or charmingly unique?) or unwrap the string. I have to try that myself.

DrewsifStalin

LOLKATYPERRYGUY
Reaction score
I have a part in one of my songs (UNRELEASED, HAHA!) That's in Drop B on a .74 28" scale and It's not too bad

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
A heads up for everyone, for people who don't like unwinding strings, Octave4plus can make you strings designed just for your guitar as long as you give them accurate measurements, and they can make you a string that provides more tension than a production string of the same guage.

TheAceOfSpades1

Reaction score
You twist and pull the winding off the core so only the core is left and you put that through the tuner.

I haven't had any strings break on my since doing it. It's actually not any less structurally sound. Even wound, it's the core that's taking the tension.

All right thanks, that seems easy enough. I'll make sure to inform DrumCity GuitarLand of this.

A heads up for everyone, for people who don't like unwinding strings, Octave4plus can make you strings designed just for your guitar as long as you give them accurate measurements, and they can make you a string that provides more tension than a production string of the same guage.

Thanks!

')