8 string universe-- uv88mc?

• Thread starter ahull123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ahull123

Reaction score
I decided to build a uv77mc in an 8 string, trying to be faithful to the original (sort of).
it will have new body -mahogany, RGA8 neck with new fretboard,
Just wanted to post a pic of the progress I have made (not too much, but it sure took a while?), I will be posting a few pics as we get a little further. bodies are being cut this week. just curious what you guys think..... second trem is for a jem 7wh, or should I say jem 8wh?

tremelo1.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mehnike

SS.org Peruser
Reaction score
That fretboard looks incredible :eek:

pics, moar of them.

ahull123

Reaction score
Interesting! Where'd you get a single-coil 8-string pickup?

Brett at Guitar Logitics made it out of a(n) BKP coldsweat, was the only way to get the single coil with the correct bobbin color, waste of money maybe but I really want the guitar to be special.

ahull123

Reaction score
here is a mock-up of what I am shooting for, I apologize it is a little rough, my photoshop skills are not that good.

Ibanez-UV77RE.png

I didn't mount my fretboard but you get the idea?

astm

Reaction score
wow! you're going far with this project already! I still remember when you PM'd me asking for suggestions. Hope to see that guitar ready ASAP! :D

ahull123

Reaction score
Yeah, my GAS took off like a rocket, got the best of me..... anyways, I decided to go with all the ideas.... LOL going to have quite the 8 string collection when this these are done.... ASTM, by the way I appreciated your help! Although, I decided not choose in the end :) 4 total on the way before its over, the one we talked about is going to be last, going to take the longest to build.

musikizlife

TCM Softhands
Reaction score
Brett at Guitar Logitics made it out of a(n) BKP coldsweat, was the only way to get the single coil with the correct bobbin color, waste of money maybe but I really want the guitar to be special.

I was wondering where that pickup was going to turn up, I'm glad to see it going to an awesome project, can't wait to see the finished product!
That fretboard is suuuper purdy:yesway:

vansinn

Reaction score
Very cute project.. :agreed:

Was taking the fretboard off the RGA8 neck difficult? Which method did you use?

Could you provide closeups of the bridges? - and state which models?
The blocks looks like one of the bigblocks, but which?

ahull123

Reaction score
fret board(s) are still on the necks at this point, I am not going to remove the fretboards myself, that is beyond my abilities..... my luthier will be doing it.

more pics later, the trems are out at plating right now, and bridges are 'original floyd rose's, not pros though, I will use the pro on the last guitar, I needed to be sure it was going to work on a lesser model before I wasted that kind of money.

tone block was modeled after the big block, just kind of winged it (size wise) went with the bigger is better idea...LOL

pic of the donor guitar....

8string.jpg

and one more shot of the fretboard, Ernie at ET did an amazing job, the dots are abalone and look amazing in person. (my camera sucks)

fretboard1.jpg

Latest posts

')