8 string with rounder, thicker neck?

• Thread starter SafariDiscoLion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SafariDiscoLion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I play PRS and Schecter guitars and I prefer a rounder C neck, very much not the thin wizard style necks like Ibanez and ESP. I want an 8 string but all the ones I've tried, even the Schecters, had those really thin necks and I just find it super uncomfortable. Are there any brands that keep that rounder neck on 8 strings or do they ALL just compensate for the width by going super thin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Well think about it, you kinda have to slim it out a bit because to round it out itd be so thick it'd be unwieldy. I'd bet the "flat back" that most 8 strings sport literally cuts the thickness in half compared to keeping the entire semicircle if that makes sense.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
Is it really thinness you dislike or a flat back with square-y shoulders? I don't know what exact models you've played but looking at say the RG8, 20-21.5mm isn't that thin? So maybe try a Strandberg. It won't feel flat or thin but it may feel weird. Personally I wasn't fond of the OS8 I played because the bass side and treble side edges felt like holding a smartphone (which you're not supposed to experience when using the Endurneck the way it is supposed to, I know).

SafariDiscoLion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well think about it, you kinda have to slim it out a bit because to round it out itd be so thick it'd be unwieldy. I'd bet the "flat back" that most 8 strings sport literally cuts the thickness in half compared to keeping the entire semicircle if that makes sense.
I don't.....care? Yes i know 8 strings will probably require a thinner neck than a 6 or 7. Doesn't mean it HAS to be as thin as an Ibanez or ESP where they're meant to be played almost exclusively with your thumb at the back and not the crook of your thumb or meat of your palm, like I play 98% of the time.

Is it really thinness you dislike or a flat back with square-y shoulders? I don't know what exact models you've played but looking at say the RG8, 20-21.5mm isn't that thin? So maybe try a Strandberg. It won't feel flat or thin but it may feel weird. Personally I wasn't fond of the OS8 I played because the bass side and treble side edges felt like holding a smartphone (which you're not supposed to experience when using the Endurneck the way it is supposed to, I know).
Yes, I did in fact mean it when I said I don't like thin necks. And I'd rather lose a toe than buy an ugly ass Strandberg or other headless guitar.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Older Carvins had necks on the thicker side. Dunno about the newer Kiesel-branded ones. If you wanna drop a ton of money, the Caparison Applehorn 8 has a big fat neck. Maybe older import Schecters? The vast majority of people who buy 8 strings prefer thinner neck profiles so unless you go custom there just aren't that many chunky bois out there.

jarledge

Reaction score
most kiesel models offer the thicker neck option. I went with the thicker neck option on my 6 string hyperdrive because I have been playing 7s and 8s more. Thicker isn't super thick but enough to feel more comfy over standard. My 8 strings have the thinner option but on my next build I will probably go with a thick option.

Partario

Reaction score
If you just want an 8 to mess around on, the Agile 8 strings have a pretty thick neck. Overall good build quality with crap electronics that can be replaced later on if you like it.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
The neck on the Ibanez M80M is not so much like the Wizard necks. Down near the headstock, it's notably round and thicker than the Wizard necks and becomes flatter as you go towards the bridge. I'd call it a C shape that flattens out to a D shape. I like it more than any other 8 string neck I've run across. For reference, my all time favourite neck is the Wide Fat neck on my 24 yr old PRS CE22. If you can get your hands on one, it would be worth checking it out.

The neck on my old Schecter Hellraiser C8 Special was fairly chunky too, although it was 26.5" scale which I wouldn't recommend to anyone, ever for an 8 string in standard or even standard-ish tuning.

')