8 Strings and Amps

Reaction score
To any other 8 string players, what is your opinion of playing an 8 string through these brand amps?

-Bugera
-Marshall
-Blackstar
-Peavey
-Orange
-Egnator
-Line 6
-ENGL
-Mesa Boogie

I realize this names pretty much every big name, but I just want to know everyone's opinions as to how well certain models from each brand can sustain an 8 string tone. Descriptions of how they sound can be potentially helpful. :djent:
EDIT: I'll also be taking cab suggestions into account for using stacks. Chances are though I'll be using the Orange PPC412 once I can afford one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
For what kind of tone? With what kind of guitar? With what kind of pickups?

Tomo009

Reaction score
Well no complaints with my Orange thunderverb. Lots of nice low end, it can be a bit difficult to get a really tight sound. I've found a massive difference in sound picking at different lengths of the string with my RG2228 so if you are going to test them be aware of that. Picking closer to the bridge is MUCH tighten but a more central gives a "bigger" more rounded tone.

Of course as usual you should just try out amps for yourself etc. etc. If you are looking for a tight sound it is definitely more difficult with an 8 string but I can't imagine any amp you usually use sounding particularly different, it's just more notes.

pathos45

Reaction score
ive got a jsx right now and its pretty killer with my ltd with emgs, however my old mesa mark v gave me some amazing tones as well i just couldent keep such an expensive head at the time...i regret selling that amp every night before i go to bed lol.

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
any of these can handle 8 string and will sound different than the other.
it's a matter of preference and you'll get dozens of different suggestions.
In my case, I play Engl and Line 6.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I've always found that to get the sound I'm after with 8's I have to boost, mostly because 8 string pickups are often very quiet.

My favourite 8 string soud that I've played was RG2228 w/EMG 808X into Ibanez TS808 into Multiwatt Triple Rectifier.

I had the level and gain both turned just past half way (both on 6 out of 10) and the tone on full. I was in CH3 modern, 100W, presence just under half, full bass (nearly) mid about 2oclock, treble just under 12 o'clock and gain about 1 o'clock.

It sounded the best I've ever heard any ERG in person. I wish I'd stil had my 7 at the time.

Reaction score
For what kind of tone? With what kind of guitar? With what kind of pickups?

What im trying to figure out here is what amp doesnt sound muddy or crackles under the low frequencies. Im using a Schecter Blackjack C-8, with duncan blackouts.

As far as tone, though, Im looking for something close to the tone from The Defiled. 6 string (or 7? i cant tell) band, but they tune some songs down to a low F#.

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score
The Defiled sound like Mesa users, although Mesa would not be my first choice for an 8.. you would be sterilizing Mesa low end to get a clear tone for certain types of riffing. However, a TS9 or 808 would definitely allow for more Mesa low end tweaking...IMO

My favorite amp to date is Mesa DC-10.. with a good mid boost/low cut, the DC-10 sounds good no matter what I plug into it... and I'm still able to "use" the low end freq's.

Reaction score
I can tell from the music video for Call to Arms that one of the guitarists uses Orange cabs, not sure what model they are however.

Btw, thanks to everyone who has posted so far :yesway: really helping me out with what to do for a future setup! :bowdown:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Are you pretty adamant about sticking to that list? Fryettes (VHT) are known for sounding tight and crisp on the low end.

Reaction score
Are you pretty adamant about sticking to that list? Fryettes (VHT) are known for sounding tight and crisp on the low end.

Im simplying going with what brands I know. But i will be sure to take a look.

If you could supply any sort of demo or any link to someone playing an 8 on a Fryette, shoot me a link.

Edit: What model(s) are you talking about specifically?

')