8 Strings and Amps

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Engl E530 => VHT/Fryette 2/50/2 => Uberkab.

I don't own this, but this is my friends newest set-up and it's really tight, and probably one of my favorite rigs i've played..

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
What works best for me is a maxon OD808 pedal to make it tighter, 5150/6505 amp and an oversized cab loaded with vintage 30 speakers.

Another thing that works well is unrealistic modeling like line6 or an axefx. It avoids the shortcomings of the analogue gear when taking in lower notes.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Im simplying going with what brands I know. But i will be sure to take a look.

If you could supply any sort of demo or any link to someone playing an 8 on a Fryette, shoot me a link.

Edit: What model(s) are you talking about specifically?

Yeah, I'm not sure about demos of those with 8s. But pretty much all of the Fryettes are known for good string to string definition, an unsaturated gain, and tightness. The UL and CLs are the driest and tightest, but the Sig X is right up there as well. The Deliverance is great, but it only has one channel, so a lot of people go for a UL or CL if they need more. And then the Memphis is not likely a good choice for metal.

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
There's no 8-string, and it was terribly recorded, but better than nothing.

groph

Reaction score
-Bugera

Probably similar to Peavey since their amps are copies

-Marshall

Depends on the amp. You're probably not going to get a super tight low end with the more vintage heads but who knows? You might end up with something that sounds really cool if you try a more modern-metal capable amp like a JCM2000 or JVM410

-Blackstar

No clue

-Peavey

6505's deal with 8 strings extremely well so they're a safe bet. They sound good with most cabs that I've heard.

-Orange

Could probably get a pretty sweet tone from something like one of the higher powered Rockerverbs or even that monstrous Thunderverb 200 but I've only heard Orange heads with 6 strings and no super low tunings. Big, even, smooth tone. Not really aggressive though, but musical.

-Egnator

No idea.

-Line 6

The Vetta II's and PODS can handle the extended range stuff very well, that's what Meshuggah did for a long time

-ENGL

Surely any of their modern-voiced high gain amps can handle 8 strings. Word is that pretty much every ENGL high-gainer out there is really tight and saturated (the Blackmore is rawer but still tight). The Invader is kind of the holy grail of ENGL, or one of those SE heads.

-Mesa Boogie

Dialed in right, a Rectifier (or Roadster or Roadking) could deliver a massive tone for an 8 string

')