8 year old shredder

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just watched a clip yesterday with Guthrie Govan doing EJ's Manhatten and two of his songs live and man,,
great player. Word has it that Guthrie, 32, started at age 3.
I dont know but the guy can play some great guitar, I was blown away....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hugely anti-Clapton, he's like a 60's version of a sampler.
This kid is awesome. If he were 20 and doing that I'd say he's shit. He needs to develop musically for sure, and he will.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just for the sake that he is at a young age and playing guitar really good gets my appreciation. :cool:
He does need to develop musically though as I haven't heard anything else by the kid so I cant totally judge him on that one clip. :agreed:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
dpmasunder said:
I'm hugely anti-Clapton, he's like a 60's version of a sampler.

The only album I have where I REALLY dig his gutiar playing is Wolf's London Sessions, and on that I'm really not sure how much of that is Clapton and how much is Sumlin.

As an aside, the guy I studied under at school, Paul Asbell, was involved in that project, mixing it back in the states after it'd been recorded, I guess. Talked with him for rather a while about it one lesson, and I guess Clapton refused to do the project unless they also flew in Sumlin, as he'd always held the guy in extreme regard (overrated or not, he's a class act, IMO, which counts for a lot). In the studio, Sumlin's amp started blowing up on him, but he's this really quiet, shy, reserved guy, so he didn't say anything about it until they'd finished recording and started mixing in the States. I guess they had to toss a couple of his tracks simply because the guitar sound was just unuseable.

-D

')