8 year old shredder

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
Listenin to Guitar Boulevard by JRAD.

Killer tone he's got there. Good harmonics.

Good solo. I like it. Tasteful, too, imo. Not just all out wankage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MyOwnEffigy

Satan's Scallion
Reaction score
It was once said that:
"Given enough time, a group of monkeys could pen the works of Shakespeare."

I never thought those words to be more applicable than now. Sure, he's playing fast. But, anyone could teach him to play that. And also, he looks way older than 8. He looks at least 13 or 14. Otherwise, his hands would be smaller. But he's definitely not a midget, because his head is proportional to that of an average teenager.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I thought that too until it pans in... 12 tops, and I cvould believe 8 or 10.

If the kid sticks with it and learns hyow to actually "say" something on the guitar (which, if he sticks with it, I think he can), then he'll be fuckin' awesome when he's my age. I'm just worried he might get "burnt out" on guitar, and lose the drive...

-D

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I showed this clip to my boss today and he was very astounded and impressed......
8 years old? He said with his jaw dropping to the floor......
His son plays guitar too....but not that good......:)

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
WayneCustom7 said:
Yeah seen it over at the Ernie Ball forums, apparently he was 8 during the video and now he may be 12...funny how some dudes complained about his lack of feel, regardless though the kid has talent, determination and discipline to accomplish that at such a young age...my only question is...he must have big hands for an 8 yr. old :shred:

Dude, that's why I don't really go to JP's forums. No matter how good, or how young and good someone is, they're always like "but his phrasing sucks, he lacks feel, and his tone is horrible." Fuck you dude, he just played a Paul Gilbert tune and he's 8 years old!

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Definately agreed. The kid is awesome regardless what anybody says IMO. ;)

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I get tired of hearing all that "no feeling" shit all the time too.

I once had a jazz player come up to me after one of our shows and tell me that he was amazed with my speed and technical skill... then he went on to say that due to the fact that I played so fast all the time that I am more like a trained athlete than a musician because playing that fast shows no "feeling".

Fuck that! I'm in a death metal band for crying out loud! That's what we do!

It sure feels good to me! I guess some don't realize the dark atmosphere that can be created by playing fast like we do. It'd sound pretty damn lame played slow.

Than again, maybe they're all just jealous.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jealous of that kid? Not really...

There's a difference between "fast" and "no feeling," and you can play fast with feeling, IMO. To me, he's just playing licks, not music, and he's not nearly fast enough to be impressive in that respect.

Of course, the fact I'm, judging him as I would an adult and as a peer says a hell of a lot, for an 8 year old. :)

-D

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
3.) I too want that guitar, I forgot the exact model number, but it's a tung oiled mahogany prestige. It may be a neck through, or they may just do the maple center peice for cosmetics, I forget which, but either way it's beautiful. :) I think it may be a japanese-only model, but I was half-contemplating importing one. If there was a seven string version, I'd have done it I think. :)

Like i said before, its a RGT220Na. Its a 2005 model. I saw one at sam ash recently ;p.

And it is neckthrough.

I agree w/ Effigy there. Anybody who'se been playing for a number of years and has enough dedication to learn that could do it irregardless of age(that, and every time i see this video, he always gets progressively younger and younger). I once saw a video of a 9 year old guitarist, and they were touting "He can play Crazy Train! and Cocaine and A zeppelin song! And he's only 9!" but he'd been playing for 3 years. I'd expect anyone thats been playing for 3 years (if they practice regularly) should be able to play said songs.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
really? It used to be a prestige, model number ending in TOL. 2004-ish.

Good move on Ibanez's part to drop the price and make a domestic model, cause that thing's hot. :)

guitario

Reaction score
yeah he's good, but too bad he only only shreds. It would be cooler if he could do more soulful music.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Haha.....Or how about a stickup with some sharp ass samurai swords..:)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
Why not just steal their wallet? Or is that not metal enough? ;)
That only hurts emotionally. I require violence ;p

seven skrang

Reaction score
wow now thats some musical deication! screw any anti shredder people

seven skrang

Reaction score
guitario, hes Fucking Eight !! you try doing those runs, talk about more soulful stuff, what like howlin' wolf and all of those overblown blues guys? the kids a great player

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
overblown blues guys? :fawk: You're talking to a HUGE wolf fan, and Hubert Sumlin (Wolf's guitarist) was a hell of a player, IMO - make sme wonder what the big deal abotu Clapton was.

Yeah, like I said, the fact I can judge this eight year old kid as a peer basically says all that needs to be said here - whatever's lacking melodically should come with time. :agreed:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
make sme wonder what the big deal abotu Clapton was.
I always wondered that too. Got a few letters flipped around. started drinkin tonight already? ;p

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
overblown blues guys? :fawk: You're talking to a HUGE wolf fan, and Hubert Sumlin (Wolf's guitarist) was a hell of a player, IMO - make sme wonder what the big deal abotu Clapton was.

Yeah, like I said, the fact I can judge this eight year old kid as a peer basically says all that needs to be said here - whatever's lacking melodically should come with time. :agreed:
Agreed. Yet, Eric Clapton has never been a really big deal to me as well.
I think he's a great songwriter though....

')