80's guitar

Dommak89

Reaction score
I'm still looking for THAT 6 string guitar that I like and I'm still on a hunt for good deals.

Lately I've been thinking about a (super-)strat from the 80s or early 90s. Jackson, Charvel, Kramer or Ibanez comes to mind here. Other brand suggestions are welcome, too. However, while I have some knowledge about Ibanezs I know nothing about the other brands.

So I'm basically looking for more information, really. What were good quality models (preferably Japanese) that one might be able to snatch for little money? What were good eras, and what were not so good ones?

An example to get a better picture would be that Charvel Predator.

As for the guitar itself I only have a few demands:
- Strat/Superstrat body
- At least one Humbucker
- Preferably 24 frets (not necessarily) and good neck access if possible (see Charvel Predator).

TL;DR I'm looking for an 80's/90's (super-) strat guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
a neon green BC Rich Ironbird with OFR bridge, scalloped fretboard, reversed headstock and hot pink DiMarzio humbuckers. I'll try to dig it out sometime.

xiphos11

Reaction score
i just got a sweet superstrat in a trade!
its an early 80's jackson fat strat neck, its maple and got that vintage colouring to it. its on a charvel body, OFR, h - s - s

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Ibanez 5xx-7xx models, charvel model series (especially 4-6), kramers like nightswan, jackson professional series and so on. I can highly recommend any of those. Especially ibanez and charvel are good in my opinion.

s4tch

Reaction score
Besides of what's already been mentioned, the Peavey Vandenberg is a cool shredder, too.

My favorite ones are the Jackson Dinky Professional series, especially the ones with direct mount pickups. I had one DR5, quality is up there with an RG570, but with just a tiny bit thicker, still very thin neck. Playability is second to none, bridge pickup sounds huge. My only concern was the bridge: while it's durable and easily upgradable with Schaller parts, Edge/Lo-Pro/OFR are of better quality. I bought it for about 200 euros, an absolute steal for that guitar. Highly recommended, even for 3-400 euros. An old bolt-on shredder won't get any better than this.

DSC_1214.JPG

DSC_1219.JPG

Dommak89

Reaction score
I love the Charvel Models 4-6. However, I've already checked, and at least here in Europe they are hard to come by.

Can you name me a few models off of the Jackson Professional series?

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
There's constantly charvel models for sale in finland... Don't know about other europe though. There's currently at least 4 charvels at muusikoiden.net for sale. :)

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Could you send me links via PM? That'd be great.

Sure thing mate. I'll send you some links when I have a bit spare time. I'm sitting in the bus currently and going to do some home renovating at my house. After I have finished I shall send you links. But beware, they're in finnish, so prepare your google translator :D

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Just barely outside of your range, but I had a 92 ESP M II Deluxe that was absolutely amazing. The only reason I sold it was because replacing the Floyd style Kahler was a nightmare I didn't feel like dealing with (OFR required a fill and rerouting). But I got that for $600 in great condition aside from the bridge.
I definitely feel that if you're going to go with an explicitly 80s guitar it should be obnoxious. Crackle, neon, etc. Nostalgia is permissible in this context, so the absurd is legendary.
Case in point:
tmnt_pair.jpg

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's a little Dan Spitz in all of us. Yearning to be set free and play Caught in a Mosh on a TMNT RR.

')