80's guitar

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
CharvelWDMSnake03.jpg
[/URL]

There might have been a time in my past when I might have scoffed at this. I was wrong. It was me, not this guitar. This guitar is amazing on many levels.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
What models are those Charvels and Jacksons? I was never a fan of BC Rich, but I would love to own the first and red one. Do you know its model?

The Charvels on the couch are:
95 San Dimas
Model 3
Model 4M
Model 4
Model 3A
95 San Dimas

*Sorry I can't remember the exact nomenclature on the SD's... They were USA models though, and they were okay - not to the level of the current ones though.

Not sure what you mean by "red one" or "first one" - which pic are you referring to? The only red guitar is the Jackson Custom Shop strat in red snakeskin.

The BC Rich pic on the couch are:
USA ST-3
USA Innovator (very rare)
USA Gunslinger
USA Gunslinger
USA Gunslinger
USA ST-3

The blue snake 'Slinger was the best sounding BC Rich I ever played. I miss that one a lot.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
There might have been a time in my past when I might have scoffed at this. I was wrong. It was me, not this guitar. This guitar is amazing on many levels.

It was a TERRIFIC player too. I absolutely love the Quarter Pounder in the neck - chimey and LOUD! Love it! The RTM in the bridge was okay, but I'd take a JB over it.

s4tch

Reaction score
The Charvels on the couch are:...

Thanks for sharing! I love those old Charvels. I played some, all were well-mentained instruments, so all played exceptionally well, but I don't trust all those old bridges.

Did you own Ibbies from that era, too? How do they compare?

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I love those old Charvels. I played some, all were well-mentained instruments, so all played exceptionally well, but I don't trust all those old bridges.

Did you own Ibbies from that era, too? How do they compare?

I had a couple RG565's. They were decent, but I was a C/J guy! It seemed like you were one or the other back then.

The bridges on the Charvels were decent, but the knife edges wore fast, and the fine tuners/string lock screws were soft and stripped a lot. That said, they were super easy to set up, and pretty solid. I had no tone issues either. The Schaller Floyds that came later wee a lot better.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Damn guys, you're killing me here! Inflicting some serious GAS with those pictures. I love 80's wacky hairmetalguitars.

s4tch

Reaction score
I had a couple RG565's. They were decent, but I was a C/J guy! It seemed like you were one or the other back then.

The bridges on the Charvels were decent, but the knife edges wore fast, and the fine tuners/string lock screws were soft and stripped a lot. That said, they were super easy to set up, and pretty solid. I had no tone issues either. The Schaller Floyds that came later wee a lot better.

Well, I had an Ibanez as my one and only guitar for 18 years, and couldn't complain, but since I started buying and trading guitars, I'm just a bit biased towards Jackson 6-string guitars. (My favorite budget 7 is still an Ibby.) I've never had a Charvel, though, and that's down to the hardware, to be honest. Japanese Ibanez trems (Edge, Lo-Pro) are just about as perfect as a floating trem can get, but on the Charvels, as you just wrote, you find softer materials that require a lot of work. I've heard the same thing about Charvels from local C/J gurus. Later Takeuchi or other Floyd license trems might be less pain in the ass.

That said, I just bought a Jackson (SLSMG, no hardware issues at all, simple as a brick), and if my budget allows me to, I'll hunt down a good old Charvel, too. I'd love to have a red Model 1. :wub: That won't be easy, though. Here's a local Model 3, for about 280 euros... Or here's a model 4 for $700/500€. Yeah, I know, European prices are crazy compared to US used price level.

12enoB

It's Boner Backwards
Reaction score
I just bought this '86 Charvel Model 5. The Model 5 and Model 6 are definitely my favorites. I saw an immaculate pink model 6 on craigslist the other day, and if it wasn't overpriced I would have snagged it too. I owned a model 3 as a kid, that I bought off my old-school hair metal guitar teacher. That guitar was god damn fantastic.

The model 2 is pretty badass as well, and I've been seeing a lot pop up on craigslist. Only bridge pickup on those, so its pretty damn '80s.

uxuWvOOl.jpg

Pushingink

Reaction score
Not to sound too old but in the 80's I played a B.C. Rich Gunslinger in snakeskin finish and a maroon Charvel. Loved both guitars to death.:hbang:

fastmerc

Reaction score
Jackson/Charvel lost their mind on the CX series. New headstock shape, crappy components, not worth the hassle.

I have to take a little exception to this. Although some of the CX's had vintage bridges to try and compete with the normal Fender strat crowd, which didn't go over big at the time, the components used were just fine.

I have a cx390, it has the same takeuchi floyd rose as most of the pointy charvels, it has jackson pickups, bass wood body, etc. The only thing that didn't seem to make the market happy was the semi strat headstock. At the time people either wanted pointy or regular strat shape(but of course they couldn't do it because fender wouldn't let them).

Don't get me wrong I know the bottom of the cx line didnt appeal to many, but the upper end ones seem to me to be of equal quality as the rest of the MIJ stuff. I have had many fusions, predators, model 6's, etc.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I've got an '86 Kramer Pacer Custom II in flip flop pink with a top mount OFR. It's definitely and '80s guitar, but it's not over the top cheesy. Those mid-decade USA Kramers with top mount Floyds get my vote!

Jason2112

I'm old school
Reaction score
I have to take a little exception to this. Although some of the CX's had vintage bridges to try and compete with the normal Fender strat crowd, which didn't go over big at the time, the components used were just fine.

I have a cx390, it has the same takeuchi floyd rose as most of the pointy charvels, it has jackson pickups, bass wood body, etc. The only thing that didn't seem to make the market happy was the semi strat headstock. At the time people either wanted pointy or regular strat shape(but of course they couldn't do it because fender wouldn't let them).

Don't get me wrong I know the bottom of the cx line didnt appeal to many, but the upper end ones seem to me to be of equal quality as the rest of the MIJ stuff. I have had many fusions, predators, model 6's, etc.

Sorry man, I didn't know they had an upper end to the CX line. They all seemed like entry level stuff. At the time I would've played a Charvette over a CX.... :lol:

fastmerc

Reaction score
Sorry man, I didn't know they had an upper end to the CX line. They all seemed like entry level stuff. At the time I would've played a Charvette over a CX.... :lol:

I hear ya, not that much info out there on them, but the CX were still MIJ, vs the charvette which was Korean. Its just my belief it was a marketing goof for charvel at the time, not really a quality thing :)

')